Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I've just sent a lot of money to a jeweler in the US cuz you cant get a decently cut diamond in the UK apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Are you sure you're not a boomer?

Like it would literally cost me 50% more to buy the same quality diamond in the UK compared to one from the states and that includes paying import duties on the stone. Its crazy

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

And that's if you can even find a decent stone. Everyone tries to sell you absolute junk. GIA certified triple excellent is meaningless cuz the tolerances for an excellent rating are massive. It's all a scam

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

"Quality" diamonds are some made up bullshit parameters from the 1800s.

But Uncut Gems was one hell of an anxiety-inducing movie.

The quality of the stone is not important, it's all about the cut. Certain things like colour and clarity will affect the price because a clearer stone or a more colourless stone is rarer but you can physically measure the light return of a diamond and that is 100% down to how its cut, which oddly enough doesn't affect the price of the stone all that much

You could spend the same amount of money on two identical (on paper) diamonds and one will look great and the other will look like poo poo. Guess which one they'll try to sell you

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I'm glad we all feel good about our engagement ring purchases

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

McTinkerson posted:

Congratulations on the engagement (potential I suppose right now, but come on) fridge corn!

Thank you!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm pretty happy about mine actually. I think diamonds are stupid but that's what my wife wanted, so that's what she got.
A close friend of the family is a jeweler and hooked it up big time. It was nice to not be royally ripped off, get my wife something she wanted, and support his business all in one testicle shattering purchase.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I couldn't care less really. If the missus had said to me I want you to propose to me with a ring pop I would have been sure thing babe. But this is what she wants and she deserves to have whatever it is she wants

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Batman is a cop who beats up the mentally ill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

You never did the Kenosha… Kid…
You never did the Kenosha, Kid.
You never did… the Kenosha Kid