Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

redgubbinz posted:

69hp @ Nice

Worse = visceral :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Picked up the wheels, let the peeling begin!

One down, three to go....The plasti dip was protecting them so it's like new :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I finally made a decision on a smoker and got a Traeger. Cooked some chicken and turkey breast and corn on the cob today and it came out great for the first cook! That was relatively quick tho, can't wait to do some low and slow brisket :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Are there any solar trickle chargers that are decent? As in legitimately weather proof? I don't really want to run an extension cord out to my jeep but I will if I have to I guess

Was looking at this one here

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-S...5X6XR2HKEGHKXWK

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Those are steel. Clean them up good with a green scrubby and that will be enough to scuff them for paint.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

everdave posted:

Sweet!!! I assume it is ok to get some paint on the inner portion of wheels right (where the tires go ha)

You mean where the bead seals? Yeah it will be fine.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Godzilla07 posted:

because everyone here has watched a Doug video which doesn't have much in the way of insight, or production values, and realized "good god I could be doing this job"

Pretty much this. His only talent (if you can call it that) is his OCD about cars. Evey video I've ever watched of his I skipped to the part where he drives it because watching him point out all the "quirks" is extremely annoying.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

rdb posted:

I am about 2 hours north of you in the US.

They are legal on roads with a 55mph speed limit or less in indiana. A Kei truck with AC seems to run about $12-13k, a polaris ranger northstar with cab and AC is $24k. Obviously, the polaris has parts availability and a warranty, but at half the cost I at least want to see if my 6’6 frame can fit in a Kei.

Why not just get a decent used Jeep Wrangler at that price point? ATV prices are goddamn ridiculous imo. Also a Wrangler is going to be a shitload more capable than a Kei truck.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If you're looking at sport sedans don't forget the Lexus GS, probably the most reliable sport sedan you can buy and they are great fun cars.

I'd have one now if I didn't live in the city or had a decent commute.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I can afford the Stinger now, I just can't convince myself to spend the money.

I could have afforded a new car, but after a bunch of test drives I didn't feel comfortable spending that kind of money just to have a new car. Nothing really blew me away to the point I said "I gotta have this" everything was more of a "meh" so I couldn't justify it with myself. You know when you have buyers remorse before you even buy something it's probably not a good idea :v:

Also what slidebite said

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I called the FD on a neighbor burning leaves/trash in his back yard like an idiot (it's illegal here). At first I legit thought his house was on fire.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

Yeah, my neighbor from Wisconsin had the FD called on him for the same thing. Poor bastard probably got a big ticket for it too

I'd like to be able to burn yard waste, but piles of dry, burning leaves seem like a great way to set nearby houses on fire

That and what pissed me off even more was that it was a nice day so all the widows were open, I was downwind of it and my house was filled with smoke by the time i could get them all shut and my house stunk for days. Like where is that ok to do anywhere where you don't live in BFE? In the city it should be common sense you just don't do that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

Bittersweet day, my daughter drove away from my house for the last time this morning. She'll never see the bedroom she's occupied for 14 years again. But the future awaits!

Wow that must have felt weird and sad, I've always wondered how I'll feel when my son moves out eventually.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Smoked my first pork butt on the Traeger and was the best pulled pork I've had in awhile :)

Next weekend gonna do ribs then brisket, love it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

I can attest to Traeger easiness. I'm doing a 3-2-1 hour cook on a Costco special rack of ribs tomorrow. Super easy. As long as you clean it frequently. Nothings worse than it erroring mid cook and then trying to overfeed/bursting into flames. Happened 3 times so far...

Yikes that doesn't sound good. I've already figured out to keep an eye on the pellets in the hopper, I thought there was plenty in there to finish the Butt, but instead of falling into the auger like they are supposed to they cling to the walls, forming a hole leaving the auger empty.

Although it is a lot easier you still gotta keep an eye on it and can't just leave it unsupervised for 8 hours.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone here have an OLED TV? Is burn in really that big of an issue?

Kinda torn on weather to go all out for an OLED or just get a good LED instead. The OLED looks sooo good tho.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

bolind posted:

I have a 65” OLED. Panasonic but its all LG panels anyway.

It’s amazeballs. Deep blacks, vivid colors. No issue with burn in but we have virtually zero content with static parts, so...

There are deals to be had if you look around for last year’s models.

My only concern with static stuff is video games, I tend to play the same games with some static stuff in it, but I don't know if what they mean by static is more like somebody watching CNN 24/7 and the logo burning in or something.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

In the end, people with power and motivation to do this to us are just going to do it. Some of us are lucky enough to survive it, a lot of people aren't.

World history.txt

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Gonna get the LG CX 65' OLED, Newegg has them on sale for $2150 right now and Best Buy matched the price

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

^^^^ three coats of paint then three of clear should be fine, that usually works good for me. Unless you want it more glossy then more clear.

The deal on the LG TV fell through lol. Third party seller through newegg apparently so Best Buy wouldn't finalize it.

So I'm gonna get the Sony XBR instead gently caress it

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 12, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

everdave posted:

Thanks AA I’d rather it be less glossy so I will probably let them dry overnight, put a first pass of clear on them tomorrow and maybe some more in the afternoon. Should these be pretty safe to handle after all dry through tomorrow night after clear and into the next afternoon (Thursday)?

It is super hot here (TN)

Yeah they'll be fine once they dry really good in direct sun for awhile.

meatpimp posted:

I probably said it before, but I just grabbed a sony x900h and love it.

Why not the OLED?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

75" OLED is more than I wanted to spend. Beautiful picture, but in the wild, so is the Sony.

Oh geez yeah, I'm going with the 65" so it's not quite the brutal hit, it's like 2k more for the 75"

This is where having a smaller living room actually works to my advantage :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

TCL just released their 6 series for 2020 with mini led. That's what I was waiting for, just didnt hitnthe market in time.

Edit: 55" is released. 65 and 75 coming : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0885F5GMP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_R8ZmFb3GDQWYE

Vizio is coming out with a 65" OLED for $2k in a month, but I haven't been too happy with the Vizio LCD/LED whatever it is I have now. However every Sony I've ever owned has been great so I figured I'll just go that route again.

Interesting video, apparently OLED TVs are way more reliable than LED TVs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCmb0RC14bg

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

TCL still the go to for a cheap 55" TV?

Hisense gets really good reviews too for cheap TVs

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

opengl128 posted:

Give it a few months. Every year, the 55" LG OLED can be found for $1000 and the 65" for $1500. The 2019 65's were $1500 before they dried up and the 2020's are all you can reasonably find now.

Set up an alert on slickdeals.

I would, but I kinda need one now since my Vizio is going in my newly renovated screened in porch, and I don't really wanna wait around for sales to happen.

Of course as soon as I buy one tho, it will be on sale the next week, Murphy's law :v:

Raluek posted:

what dont you like about it? last year i got a 65" vizio lcd, and i have had no problems beside what i believe to be an intermittent cable (so not the tv's fault).

Burn in from video games lol. When it's bright there's gray blotches all over it.

Maybe more my fault for leaving it on sometimes while hosting a game and taking a break, but I never thought once it could be an issue with LCD. Definitely won't be doing that with the new TV.

That being said, I really don't game that much to begin with, maybe a few hours a week so I was pretty disappointed with that happening.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

everdave posted:

In disaster wheel news I don’t know what happened. I etch primes the wheels first but the paint has turned to a flaky powder of you rub it with your finger in places. Ruined. I never wanted metallic I just wanted gunmetal but this was in stock. I did everything right. Degreased, let dry. Etch prime dry. Coat and coat and coat of color and drying between colors. I’m going to have to pressure wash this mess off. I wanted these rims on tomorrow. Dang it.

AA LOOOOOOOK:

TCL 55 inch 2020 4K mini LED TV $650 and the 65 is $750 link is on front page of slick deals

https://slickdeals.net/f/14263862-tcl-55-inch-2020-4k-mini-led-tv-650?src=jfy%7Crecombee%7Cc6188c40-86e6-4b27-b95c-f20235313ad3

Didn't you say the paint was walmart brand or something? Could be just lovely quality paint.

Also I'm over the cheap TVs that's what my current Vizio is, I can afford a nice one now so I'm gonna splurge on OLED. And from what I've seen OLEDs should last a lot longer than LCD/LED so it will be worth it in the long run.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Building cabinets takes a lot of time.

You building from scratch or is that a kit? Either way looking good

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I did ribs last night on the traeger and they came out amazing my first time ever smoking ribs.

Been using Franklin BBQ videos as a guide, that dude knows his poo poo

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

STR posted:

He does, but he doesn't have the best BBQ in Austin. It's good, very good BBQ, but not worth waiting in line for several hours.

He has great youtube videos on how to BBQ tho, I'm really liking the "Texas style" of mostly just pepper and salt for rubs, it tastes so much better than the sugary poo poo imo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Humphreys posted:

Well my months long journey around the country for a new to me car has finally ended 15 minutes up the highway!

The same as mine but the sports version, aftermarket quad exhausts with a nice note. A lot of maintenance that I know needed to be done (and known issues sorted already). Ran it through Holden dealer network for any major work required and nothing, safety and history check all came up good. And its bloody $5000! I am a very happy man.

drat I really wish we had those here cuz there would be one in my driveway right now. Nice score man.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So when i smoked the ribs I threw a couple chicken breasts on as well towards the end of the cook. Just made some chicken salad with them and holy poo poo balls that's good.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Basically we can now afford nice stuff but I can't get my head past the days of living paycheck to paycheck and even though the wife is onboard with a new car purchase I keep backing down and looking at $10K shitboxes. I think my brain is broken.

Lol that's me. I could have afforded a brand new car but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I kept thinking, $25-30k for this? It's ok but not all that great, and I can get not all that great for a lot less money.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It's really opening up this can of worms related to my own self worth. The new house purchase started this, I feel like I dont deserve anything I have these days.

I was like this for awhile and I still can get into bouts of it, but what I figured out is I pretty much just don't give a poo poo about material things all that much and when I pay a lot for said things it makes me feel bad. I just spent almost 3k on a loving TV and it's taking everything in me not to return it and just get a cheap TV because "why do I need this" :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

When I did home theater installs I tried every auto stripper there was and yes they all suck rear end

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

My envy is near indescribable.

drat you, GM. drat you.

Yeah the selection of wagons here sucks my rear end. I don't want a drat German car, so that means I'm pretty much SOL.

That is pretty much the perfect vehicle for my needs and wants :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Humphreys posted:

Goon Project? More than happy to facilitate someone with the $$$ and organising for a container and a few grand my way for my old one to find a new home in the US for a left hand conversion shell. Get yourself a Pontiac G8 wreck with working electrics and dash.

Not me, I don't have the means or facilities to do something like that. Appreciate the offer tho :)

I just wish Americans were more into wagons instead of loving SUVs like Europe and Australia are.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Humphreys posted:

Were. Australia is now SUV central too. The family wagon, heck the family sedan is now a tear in my eye. I've been drinking with a Holden dealership 20+ year vet all evening and he has been offered a job with Ford and going to take it because no aussie bloke is going to buy the GMSV Corvettes for 150K.

Well at least you still have them available in the used market. Only thing here is the occasional used Volvo and BMW so forget that.

[e] a Camry TRD wagon would be the poo poo and I would probably go into debt for one.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

rdb posted:

Not really expecting an answer here but going to ask anyways. We have been thinking of a UTV for a while. I wanted something like a gator, kubota RTV, or polaris ranger northstar with a cab and air. Those are out of the budget at this point. So fo $10-15k, what would AI do? I read a lot of negativity about polaris reliability. Honda pioneer 1000 is what I want, but the only dealer selling them in my price range is Holzhauers and they are 2.5 hours away. I can get kawasaki within an hour. Deere is an option but the dealer is 9-5 weekdays only, closed weekends. Not good when it breaks.

We had an amish contractor out today to quote fence. We are getting 7100 feet installed with fiberglass posts and 6 stands of high tensile wire. He asked if we could provide him a UTV to use along with the tractor/pallet forks. So its probably going to happen, I’m just undecided on what works best for general farm duty along with some trail/road riding. Vehicles of any type are hideously expensive right now and the used market sucks.

We had Kawasaki Mules back when we managed a campground and we beat the poo poo out of them, never had a problem, but honestly I'd rather have a short bed pickup unless you're gonna be in areas a truck can't go.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah man that house looks really nice, hope you have better luck with this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus that's horrible