Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Haha what do you think Bowsette smells like LOL
This poll is closed.
Lilac 12 3.96%
Gooseberries 8 2.64%
Turtle soup 11 3.63%
Your favourite Doritos flavor (please specify) 14 4.62%
Gamer girl bath water 54 17.82%
Stop it 158 52.15%
A Pizza Hut Personal Pan Pizza (Pepperoni) 33 10.89%
get stick bugged lol 12 3.96%
tomato pizza 1 0.33%
Total: 303 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Or they hide behind animated characters because it's cute/because they're shy/because someone else did it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
also because the people like anime and want animes to be streamers

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Why doesn't anyone hide behind a grody looking piece of poo poo

e: yes my monitor IS off thank you

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Booted up Fortnite for the first time in at least a year. Took first place in Solos on my second try. I'm thinking about going pro.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Macaluso posted:

If I remember right, I could be botching this explanation, vtubers hide behind animated characters because apparently when there's a camera people figure out where they live and find them somehow. That's not really a thing that happens all that often in other countries with streamers, but I guess in Japan it's a much bigger problem?

it being slightly harder for people to work out who they are is just a nice side effect not the reason for it, its just because being an anime streaming is marketable. i dontt think people doxing streamers is more or less common in japan than anywhere else but that is def a thing that happens often in the west thats the entire issue behind swatting lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Aren't the most popular vtubers basically fictional characters that are intellectual property owned by media companies that can replace the actor behind them at any time

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's just Kizuna Ai I think.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Aren't the most popular vtubers basically fictional characters that are intellectual property owned by media companies that can replace the actor behind them at any time

From what I understand, if the actor goes, so does the character and that's that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

RBA Starblade posted:

Why doesn't anyone hide behind a grody looking piece of poo poo

e: yes my monitor IS off thank you

One of the japanese reactions vtubers I saw for Smash reveals is a burger with olive eyes and french fry eyebrows, and it has gross looking melted cheese in the mouth and it grosses me out

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Macaluso posted:

One of the japanese reactions vtubers I saw for Smash reveals is a burger with olive eyes and french fry eyebrows, and it has gross looking melted cheese in the mouth and it grosses me out

What did his anime girl look like though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The only vtuber I check on regularly is the electronic musician Vektroid

https://twitter.com/VektroidLive/status/1293381360262864897

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

that was one and no one was happy about it, all the others the character and the va are tied together and if the va quits or is fired the character is retired as well.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Is there no thread for Hyper Scape? I'm enjoying it quite a bit, really plays a lot more like an arena shooter in BR form which is a great time. The abilities are quick and fun, fights seem to go all over the place.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Speaking of advances in Vtubing

https://twitter.com/HotGirlVideos69/status/1293634984352395265

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tremendously relieving news: the tony hawk remake is good

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-08-12-the-tony-hawks-remaster-does-justice-to-one-of-the-greatest-demos-of-all-time

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Did anyone get the Tony Hawk burrito and codes

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

does it have an option for skate controls

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

August games & Vtuber chat

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I saw that the Last of Us Part 2 is getting a new content update tomorrow that further lets you tweak the difficulty settings and even adds cheats. But you have to beat the game first normally. That is a bummer, I dont see why you cant just have that stuff from the start.

Why would anyone want to replay the game? Why would the devs? The whole ultimate point of the game is that what you just done is bad. If the game was effective, you wouldn't want to play it again. The message is killing is bad, but here they are, "how to make killing more fun 4 u..." What's that fancy word for when a game's story/narrative/message is in direct conflict with what the game has you doing mechanically? Because this has to be that. You don't need to watch Schindler's List a few months after watching it the first time, even if this time they told you they added in some slapstick scenes for comic relief throughout, which will make it a much more fun movie.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stux posted:

that was one and no one was happy about it, all the others the character and the va are tied together and if the va quits or is fired the character is retired as well.
yeah demonstrated most recently when by far the most popular boy vtuber quit after like 6 months and they retired the character. I bet the agency was real pissed about having to do that but you can't recast vtubers

rip kaoru

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Stux posted:

does it have an option for skate controls

Session does

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Why would anyone want to replay the game? Why would the devs? The whole ultimate point of the game is that what you just done is bad. If the game was effective, you wouldn't want to play it again. The message is killing is bad, but here they are, "how to make killing more fun 4 u..." What's that fancy word for when a game's story/narrative/message is in direct conflict with what the game has you doing mechanically? Because this has to be that. You don't need to watch Schindler's List a few months after watching it the first time, even if this time they told you they added in some slapstick scenes for comic relief throughout, which will make it a much more fun movie.

I always thought Schindler's List needed multiplayer

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Khanstant posted:

You have to play through it at least twice to get the UFO ending.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Khanstant posted:

I could have got more (cheeves).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sometimes I think about how the emperor in Star Wars is named "sheev"

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sometimes I think about how the emperor in Star Wars is named "sheev"

You ever just say it out loud to make sure it's real?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
How is everybody doing today?

I'm dealing with some varying levels of bad stuff irl but I'm trying to balance it out with games, videos, chatting, and crashing. Been crashing hard these past couple of weeks. Not much going on fun-wise. We beat up Zeus in Wizard101 and we've mostly just been doing event stuff since then, not tackling the next major story area yet.

Anyway I hope everybody's doing okay and here's hoping that even if things aren't going well that they will at least even out and stabilize soon.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

FirstAidKite posted:

I am taking over for a teacher who is resigning in addition to maintianing my existing classes and I am feeling overwhelmed, but then i started Raging Loop last night and finished the first route and realized too late I had stayed up until 2 in morning, which has been kind of kicking my rear end all day!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Khanstant posted:

Because it's a fun stealth action video game probably

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FirstAidKite posted:

Currently trying to determine if I want to do my usual weekly at-home workout tonight (my normal night) or tomorrow (when the forecast calls for all-day thunderstorms, precluding me from running outside). Also try to determine what game I want to play now that I cleared Hyper Light Drifter.

Hang in there Kite bud!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tentatively excited for this but still recalling 5

I liked 3 and 4 the most though. The custom skate park feature was cool

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Good news, that's in this one

You can even share parks online so it's Tony Hawk Maker

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Khanstant posted:

The ultimate irony of the game is that I don't think the devs even fully believe the "message" of TLoU2. Druckman still retweets epic killshots from the game, and the game is still full of hordes of enemies the game doesn't chastise you for killing and in fact rewards it because while the people you seek revenge on are people too, some people are just generic faceless evil NPCs and those are OK to kill if you need bandages or something

And man, let me tell you, leaving large numbers of faceless evil NPCs that don't qualify as human and are OK to thoughtlessly kill, unlike the NPCs that still do bad things but are fundamentally human and it's wrong to brutalize, leaves a lot of room for some terrible reads on what Druckmann believes considering he made a big deal of pointing out how this game was influenced by his (supposedly outgrown) desire to kill Palestinians as a teenager

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 13, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The message of TLOU2 isn't that violence is bad or that you should feel guilty for enjoying videogame violence. Like not even slightly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waffleman_ posted:

Good news, that's in this one

You can even share parks online so it's Tony Hawk Maker

Hooray!

quote:

The message of TLOU2 isn't that violence is bad or that you should feel guilty for enjoying videogame violence. Like not even slightly.

Whenever people think the message of a viddy game is "violence bad" or "violence meaningless" I think of Hotline Miami.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r8kuHrPMVo

"It was all pointless?"
"You had fun, didn't you?"

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Macaluso posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvUk8PCXa4E

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Every game should have a segment where you have to face the ghosts of every person you've thoughtlessly slaughtered. SMB World 2 should be a graveyard of the turtles and goombas you killed in the first level. The princess is always in another castle -- she's trying to get away from you!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

To be fair, a game that deals with the implications of violence and the motivations behind it told through the lens of a father who is willing to do anything to protect his daughter really gets you to buy into the protagonist's motivations before doing a slight-of-hand perspective shift to make you empathize with the people you've been fighting the whole game is an incredible feat, and if the game just had less mandatory fishing segments Nier would have been the perfect game and I'm really excited for the remaster

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Macaluso posted:

https://youtu.be/ygr67F5lSwY?t=592

The burger was very excited.

But honestly, CGI dinosaur with his mouth agape was my favorite of the reactions from that day.

https://youtu.be/78Fu4w33ipc?t=541

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hey, Subnautica is still really good. Your robot voice friend has some fun, funny, low-key GLADOS-esque lines.

On acquiring copper for the first time: “Your probability for survival has just increased to: unlikely, but plausible.” On Day 3: “Congratulations, survivor: you have exceeded your weekly exercise quotient by 500%. Data indicates that ‘swimming’ was your favourite activity.” On building your minisub: “The seamoth is a fast, safe mode of transport, but remember that swimming is good for your glutes and endorphin levels.”

What are some cool Subnautica-likes?