Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Haha what do you think Bowsette smells like LOL
This poll is closed.
Lilac 12 3.96%
Gooseberries 8 2.64%
Turtle soup 11 3.63%
Your favourite Doritos flavor (please specify) 14 4.62%
Gamer girl bath water 54 17.82%
Stop it 158 52.15%
A Pizza Hut Personal Pan Pizza (Pepperoni) 33 10.89%
get stick bugged lol 12 3.96%
tomato pizza 1 0.33%
Total: 303 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I beat Ghost of Tsushima today. The ending made me sad, but I thought that the third act was a real breath of fresh air in how short and snappy it was. I think I'll keep going for the plat since it seems like just going to question mark to question mark on my map at this point.

e: To elaborate a little bit, I think a lot of the early criticisms about the story missed the mark, or maybe were written before actually getting into the story. Jin isn't the world's most complex character, but his whole journey is well realized. Going in I thought it was going to center on the whole honorable samurai vs dishonorable ninja but I found that the larger challenge of struggling with your duty more interesting. The last few areas where you're fully kitted out and powerful enough to wade into an army were also very satisfying. Outside of a few areas where raising the alarm is a failure, I appreciated the freedom to use as much or as little of the verbset to approach missions.

One comparison I didn't expect to make was to MGSV. Something about being able to approach a camp from any angle, to quickly move and strike from cover, but most of all the ability to go fast in a combat areas. There are a few times where a siege weapon is firing on you while you're engaged with group troops, and that mad dash through the enemy ranks really captured something of Snake's movement.

I understand why the "crafting" or upgrade system is in play and honestly I think it's about as well implemented as it can be. Gathering items is instant and painless, all the upgrades are useful in some way, armor upgrades change the way the armor looks, making each of the several outfits have three progressively more elaborate layers (and you can choose which version you want to wear at any time with no drawback), and resources are neither excessively hard to find nor annoyingly plentiful. You can certainly beat the game with only minimal engagement with the system, although skipping out on the sword upgrades would just prolong every fight.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Howard Phillips posted:

When can I pre-order PS5? Take my $$$ pls.

I would also like to throw my money in this particular hole.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Ghost Trick is the best video game.

it's this

ghost trick is a true, true gem, and everyone should play it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
3DO Doom soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F55JwkePIo

"The decision to replace the MIDI-based PC soundtrack with live recorded music was made by Heineman [the game's sole developer!!!]on a whim due to lack of time to write a music driver for the 3DO. Producer Randy Scott's church garage band was used to do the recordings. With digitized music, it was possible to use simple streaming playback with minimal coding effort. Heineman states this was the best decision made in the process, as the music is the one aspect of the port almost universally praised."

apparently the band had to replicate the music by ear based on a cassette recording

the port is otherwise awful (because of idiot management)

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Rinkles posted:

3DO Doom soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F55JwkePIo

"The decision to replace the MIDI-based PC soundtrack with live recorded music was made by Heineman [the game's sole developer!!!]on a whim due to lack of time to write a music driver for the 3DO. Producer Randy Scott's church garage band was used to do the recordings. With digitized music, it was possible to use simple streaming playback with minimal coding effort. Heineman states this was the best decision made in the process, as the music is the one aspect of the port almost universally praised."

apparently the band had to replicate the music by ear based on a cassette recording

the port is otherwise awful (because of idiot management)

lmao they couldn't even spellcheck the back panel of the case

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/1293382513184784386?s=19

FEATURING DANTE FROM THE DEVIL MAY CRY SERIES

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

First day of marathon gaming I've done in a long time...

Final Fantasy 14 is Good.

Final Fantasy is so good :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCXzyt7Wu_o

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I beat Hyper Light Drifter today. Pretty cool game if a little slow to start, and I still don't fully understand what was going on even if it looked and sounded very good. I didn't quite finish all of the side content, I might go back and finish it later.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Final Fantasy 14 is Good
5.3 is A Gamer's Holiday

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

raidou is cooler than dante

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Stux posted:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stux posted:

Darn Tootin

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Zushio posted:

Finally getting around to Ghost Trick. This game is awesome and I love all the little touches with the animation. I wish I could work a chicken with that degree of concentration.

Also, Missle for best doggo.

Never heard of it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Raidou 3 (assuming the game was good) is the sort of title I would buy a clearly failed system for. Sony you got any more Vitas in there?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

Never heard of it

in case you’re serious you should remedy this immediately

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Avs off huh

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Avs off huh

alas, I am undone

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

hate to see an owning, but love to watch it happen

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think the "100 quest slog" has been overblown by folks who were playing through the yearlong period where those quests came out as a dripfeed. If you're jumping into them now, you can burn through them, like if you played any other game where you got a marker to go to location A, that's basically what counts as one of those quests, your typical Assassin's creed quest is made up of 6 or 7 of those things

Do you like Final Fantasy storytelling? This is some of the top-tier in that mold, but if you don't like that, it's probably not going to sway you.

Do you like MMO hotbar style combat? This is the apex of that style, but if you don't like that, it's probably not going to sway you.

It's a good story because it does both those things, and the detail they put into the world is what allows them to explore themes in a compelling way. If you need "real world core issues" it deals with cycles of violence and revenge on national scales, the challenges faced by revolutionaries against imperialism and colonialism, and the allures and dangers of nostalgic romanticism for imagined lost utopian pasts.

I hope this helps!

It actually does. I think I'll always hate the game, but yeah those are themes that pique my interests thank you, much clearer .

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

what fully radicalized me on final fantasy 14 was the extended plot arc about nations dealing with politically inconvenient refugees. vast majority of mmo story telling in particular and video games in general are about material accumulation of geegaws, but every single ff14 plot is rooted in human concerns

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hate in an MMO when you're killing a cosmic being by throwing rocks and lightning bolts at its toes. Thank goodness is never tried stepping on us.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
why do all the Civ 6 scenario packs have such low reviews on steam? the one i clicked made it seem like ppl mad the DLC exists which, sure okay but thats not helpful review information. maybe Steam needs a not-review section, just a place 4 gamers to "be heard" (only show it to the one writing it, make it seem real tho)

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
The entire steam review system gets a thumbs down "not helpful" vote imo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Final Fantasy 14 is Good.

Final Fantasy is so good :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCXzyt7Wu_o

I just did the new story and Shadowbringers is one of the best video games of all time

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Chucky Cheese made something spin around!
32 HP of damage to Jeff!

https://twitter.com/StrangestMp4/status/1278572563229179904?s=20

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I missed it but skies of arcadia owns and one of the best things about it is just how well it nails the sense of exploration and adventure.

I wish there was a sequel or prequel or something. Just something set in the same world at a different time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Skies of Arcadia was one of my favorite games on the Dreamcast. It was somehow a pretty cut and dry JRPG but felt wholly unique, much like the Dreamcast itself! No remaster in 20 years while somehow Star Ocean gets a full rerelease is basically criminal.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shifty gimbal posted:

Chucky Cheese made something spin around!
32 HP of damage to Jeff!

https://twitter.com/StrangestMp4/status/1278572563229179904?s=20

I am disappointed, I was expecting mutant mouse to spin around real fast and kill a kid.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ubisoft apparently launched a battle royale on consoles this week called hyper scape and no one even noticed

which made me look at what else they're doing other than imploding from sexual harassment scandals. they have a lot of vaporware right now

beyond good & evil 2 is never gonna come out

skull & bones is never gonna come out

they have a game called ROLLER CHAMPIONS that they showed at e3 2019 that was planned to come out early 2020 and will probably never come out

then there's gods & monsters which was delayed indefinitely

and the revival of the settlers which was delayed indefinitely last month

the only games with confirmed dates are assassin's creed valhalla and far cry 6

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

UBISoft has been trying to hype up Hyper Space for awhile now too. There is no more room for new Battle Royales.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Skies of Arcadia was one of my favorite games on the Dreamcast. It was somehow a pretty cut and dry JRPG but felt wholly unique, much like the Dreamcast itself! No remaster in 20 years while somehow Star Ocean gets a full rerelease is basically criminal.

It was also just a surprisingly wholesome and optimistic jrpg too. The party just felt really likable all around and they each had their own unique personality and traits and I liked how the game had such a good focus on each of the party members.

My pipe dream would be for them to do a rerelease with Piastol as an optional party member.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

If I yell about Skies of Arcadia Switch long and loud enough Sega will hear me eventually right?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

wuggles posted:

If I yell about Skies of Arcadia Switch long and loud enough Sega will hear me eventually right?

You'll get a reimagining for mobile that is a gachapon match 3 game and you'll like it

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I am disappointed, I was expecting mutant mouse to spin around real fast and kill a kid.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one hoping for kid maiming
:hfive:

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I watched a Let’s Play of the DmC reboot recently, and I think the remastered version looks fun enough in a b-movie way as an edgy wannabe-They Live/ anti-capitalist screed with no self awareness.

That said everything to do with the character Lilith, from design, to boss fight, to plot events is so so so so bad.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I played the first two levels of ghost trick but it felt pretty talky and hand-holdy, looks like everyone who likes it is wrong

ah but what can you do, as Mario says, C’est la vie!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

ah but what can you do, as Mario says, "threat neutralised!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

ubisoft apparently launched a battle royale on consoles this week called hyper scape and no one even noticed

which made me look at what else they're doing other than imploding from sexual harassment scandals. they have a lot of vaporware right now

beyond good & evil 2 is never gonna come out

skull & bones is never gonna come out

they have a game called ROLLER CHAMPIONS that they showed at e3 2019 that was planned to come out early 2020 and will probably never come out

then there's gods & monsters which was delayed indefinitely

and the revival of the settlers which was delayed indefinitely last month

the only games with confirmed dates are assassin's creed valhalla and far cry 6

Why make all those games when instead you can just throw some more studios at Assassin's Creed™