Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FLYERA, BITHC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Tkachuk's a dick but he's trying to check Schiefele there, not kick him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Lol that’s great

Also pens fan chiming in feel free to rip into me for this but I honestly would prefer drafting 1OA to winning the cup this year 🤷🏻‍♂️

Man, the cup is the cup, and 1st overall picks are far from guarantees of anything, just ask Edmonton. Anyone who whines and plays the WELL IT'S NOT REALLY A LEGIT CUP WIN BECAUSE... card after the finals can piss off.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Hello. I'm excited to watch the Oilers and another Kilza meltdown. Godbless

Kilza is a good lad, do not be rude to him.

also hot drat today's schedule is great. Caps/Bolts should be a barn-burner.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Jones and Werenski are really good.

Matthews had the puck a ton, but he just could never find the space to get off a shot. I think he did once, but I am impressed with how well Columbus managed to smother the Leafs.

Yeah Columbus getting both of them back was enormous. Nobody profited from the break more than they did, and now they're more and more that team that's just tailor-made for that grinding playoff style of hockey.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

From what it looked like, Torts wasn't line chasing with forwards, but always tried to get Jones/Werenski against the top line.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I'd still far rather have last change than not, and I think you'll see a push by some round robin teams to try and get a matchup they like.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lundqvist is obviously on the decline but he wasn't the reason the power play went 0-7 in game 1

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/1290339144602988544

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/1290341918879223810

Charles, thank you

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

myron cope posted:

So there is a "home" team and they do all the home team music and whatnot

But still the horn for away team goals?

Home team status is just for jerseys and last change. They have everyone's goal horn and music.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Any discussion of homer broadcast crews starts and ends with Detroit.

Jim Hughson’s brain is stuck in 2011

Detroit's crew is bad, yeah, but they had nothing on the old Pittsburgh crew and more than a few times I've seen Altitude referred to as "state-sponsored media" with as over the top as they get for the Avs (who I believe legit own the network themselves)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Y'all forget about Jack Edwards?

Jack sucks in his homerism, yeah, but at the very least he can keep up with the action and call it as its going. Wings crew will keep whining about something that happened 3 minutes ago or go off on endless tangents about the great teams from 25 years ago.

E: he's definitely like... bottom 10% of crews, but at the very least, he's an unapologietic homer who will still do the actual loving play by play.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

N: Pageau

https://twitter.com/eyesonislesFS/status/1290705285078605824

V: owns

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

i am the bird posted:

Jack Edwards has the best peaks (no one but Don Cherry can top Edwards comparing the Bruins to are brave troops), but the Detroit and Colorado PBP teams are consistently bottom of the barrel. Ken Daniels has the ability to be a good PBP guy but not for Detroit, ever.

Daniels still has his moments but he's definitely gotten worse as the years have gone by.

Redmond is flat out horrid and they needed to drop him 10 years ago.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

i am the bird posted:

There is sometimes a noticeable difference of Daniels calling road games when Mick doesn't travel with the team. The FSD crew is nothing but dullards, though. Detroit got hosed on the player-turned-personality front with Chris Osgood and Larry Murphy.

Oh yeah he's far better without Mickey. It's not quite as dramatic a difference as you see with Joe Buck with/without Troy Aikman but it's drat sure noticeable.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FBS posted:

Colorado used to be good, did they change personnel recently?

The Washington broadcast is also on my list of terrible homers but I haven't listened to them in a while.

They might be a bit better now. Mike Haynes was basically Hawk Harrleson. I think he stepped down a year or two ago though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Joe B. and Locker are homers in that they talk adoringly about "the boys in red" and skirt over Caps' penalties. Like when Wilson does something obviously horrid they'll just kind of go quiet. Unlike someone like Jack Edwards, it doesn't really color how they talk about the other teams though.

I was so drat happy Beninati went to be the Caps' voice and it meant he was off the VS/NBCSN games. Hoooooly hell did he try so loving hard to make every goal call go viral and it just felt so forced.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah getting Panerin was unquestionably a huge help to the rebuild for the Rangers, but that rebuild's still got a way to go.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah that looked and sounded genuinely horrific for a while.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

Panarin might be the best thing since sliced bread. I hope next year he at yeast matches his performance from this year. But I’d loaf to see him raise his game even higher, leavening all his competition in the dust. He’d be the toast of the town if he could do that. What I doughn’t want to see from him is a sophomore slump. I’d hate to hear the moldy comments from the Rangers’s notoriously crusty fanbase if that were to happen. Especially with all these crumb-y feelings we currently have that will be fermenting for four months.

are we done with this yet

god drat, well done.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's a big "if", but Petr Mrazek is a hell of a goalie if he stays hot. He's streaky as hell though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy fuckin poo poo

NHL.com posted:

Oskar Lindblom told a Swedish media outlet he plans on joining the Philadelphia Flyers in Toronto on Friday with the hope that he will be able to play during the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

:stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare:

He says later on it wouldn't likely be until September but holy poo poo fuckin' imagine

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I watched Petr Mrazek suck massive poo poo for the Flyers two seasons ago

No way he can backstop a team to the Cup

Mrazek needs a defense taht's very much adjusted to his ultra aggressive positioning and the flyers drat sure weren't.

Also it was just 10 years ago that 3 backups took the Flyers to the cup finals. If a goalie gets hot going into the playoffs it really doesn't matter if they're a known starter.

E: bonus points if anyone can name the third goalie without looking it up. He played 1 playoff and regular season game, his only appearances in the NHL in his career.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 5, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Brian Boucher, Michael Leighton and uh.....Rob Zepp. I actually can’t think of who this is.

I lived in Nashville during this playoffs and had no cable, so I missed a good bit of the playoff run, ashamed to say 😔

The wonderful Large Adult Rookie was 2014-15 but you're not far off. The Zepplin only logged 10 games in his entire NHL career.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Wasnt Ray Emery on that 09-10 Flyers roster? I thought he played more than 2 games though.

Ray was but he only played 29 games. Think he got hurt, or that was when his hips were still eroding or whatever it was.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh maaaaaan I love that

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Puts on a pair of very wrinkled khaki cargo shorts THE PITTSBURGH PENGUINS MIGHT WIN THE DRAFT LOTTERY :toot:

lol

also moose starts today go flyera

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

[googles to see if ping pong balls bounce higher after being frozen]

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/JasonGregor/status/1291472839455825920

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Scott Laughton is a god drat demon and I love him

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

The Yotes have very much been the lesser team, Keumper has been shelled two times but he's been lights out. Probably the play in MVP so far.

ayup

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I know there's more issues to washington than this but hoo boy they miss Carlson. Think Orlov had to eat nearly 29 minutes yesterday.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/dimfilipovic/status/1291930771209388033?s=21

this merits being posted here too

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hockles posted:

To me, it looked like Reilly stepped on the stick. But :shrug:

He did. The close ref didn't call it, it was the far one.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

When I stopped paying attention in February, the Flyers were on par with like Florida and Carolina. What changed?

The Metro by and wide was very good this year, then the flyers went on a tear.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/EricEngels/status/1292466378679746560

lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Always nice to see people come out of the woodwork to applaud the Leafs losing, it's not like your team will do any better but on the upside at least nobody will care enough to post about it.

lmao

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Countdown until silvergun goes to the old helldump puppetmaster defense or just tells us all to put him on the ignore list.

Also Tallon's officially gone from Florida.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Athletic has been doing a great selection of chirps heard in the western bubble. A selection:

quote:

“Attaboy Ehlers, you selfish gently caress!” – Flames bench to Jets forward Nikolaj Ehlers after Ehlers took a roughing penalty on Matthew Tkachuk. Ehlers would score the game winner shortly thereafter.

“You old bag of bones! You old poo poo!” – Unidentified player on the Predators bench, with some affection, to Coyotes defenceman Niklas Hjalmarsson.

“Don’t let him run his poo poo, Ellie.” – Predators bench to Ryan Ellis, after he was high sticked by his old Windsor Spitfires teammate Taylor Hall, drawing a double minor.

“OK boys, calm down or don’t but you’ve got a power play if you want one.” – On-ice official to Wild and Canucks players gathering for a scrum after Roussel ran Stalock behind the net.

“I could go for some overtime, I haven’t seen any loving overtime yet.” – The Athletic’s Thomas Drance as the Oilers nursed a 3-2 lead in the third period of Game 3.

“SHUT! UP!” Sportsnet’s Mark Spector, on deadline, in response to Drance.

E: NHL N/V 1st Round: “You old bag of bones! You old poo poo!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DOOMocrat posted:

I have a plan to kickstart the Dallas offense and shave a few years off of Benn and Seguin

Lmao