Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Hockey is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Jupiter Jazz posted:

What is a power play?

Man advantage. The other team has a guy sitting a penalty.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

The plexiglass around the rink is the boundary of play. The shorter panes are relevant because chipping the puck over those causes the delay of game penalty, but hitting it out over the taller panes around the goals is just a stoppage of play.

While I don't think this stuff is particularly important to know as a newbie, it doesn't matter which part of the glass the puck goes over; the only thing that matters is where the puck was launched from: it's only a penalty if you shoot from your own defensive zone (behind the blue line at your end of the rink) and the puck goes over the glass without hitting anything on the way.

And those penalties are quite rare these days because the rule has done its job conditioning the players to not do it.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Spelling Mitsake posted:

So since the Hurricanes went with their ugly black thirds they have to wear them for the rest of the playoffs, right?

Considering the league goes out of its way to not consider these games a part of the playoffs, no, they probably can change their uniform for the 1st round.

Do I think they will? No.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Is overtime that unpopular?

Playoff overtime is notable because it can last for hours. It's unlimited 20-minute periods until somebody scores, and as you might imagine, it can get unbearably exciting.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

sedative posted:

can't get much closer

Nice. Literally can't get any closer unless they increase the overhead camera's framerate.

Here's the video too if anyone else missed this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKtH_Y8-9co

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

myron cope posted:

Interesting. They (the pens broadcast guys which--are they in the bubble too?) were making a big deal about how it was all the Pens stuff but then the siren went off for the Montreal goal so it was just confusing

No, you were right. The arena music and stuff is intended to replicate the home team's arena, but they do use the correct goal horns and goal songs for the road team's goals too. It's a made-for-TV event after all and goals should be hyped no matter who scores them, was the NHL's reasoning more or less.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

This sequence was quite crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxuxOgVErRw

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Friday's schedule is out. Nothing but elimination games. Times EDT.

12:00 PM NYI-FLA G4
2:30 PM NSH-ARI G4
4:00 PM PIT-MTL G4
6:45 PM EDM-CHI G4
8:00 PM TOR-CBJ G4
10:45 PM VAN-MIN G4

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

(Happened to see this among Beirut pictures from 2 days ago)

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

DJExile posted:

[googles to see if ping pong balls bounce higher after being frozen]

One ball is coated with metal and there's a magnet in the thing that sucks in the winning ball. Easy

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

e: nvm

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Cocaine Bear posted:

P sure I saw Pungry around here recently.

So the draft in which two of the top ten teams in the league will have a combined 25% chance of winning the 1st overall pick is tomorrow, right?

At 6 PM ET, yep.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Flyinglemur posted:

I read that after the first round the NBA is allowing family into the bubble. Let's see how that goes

For what it's worth the NHL will do this after the second round (i.e. when they move to a single Edmonton bubble for the conference finals).

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Spelling Mitsake posted:

They really should have done the entire lottery tomorrow. I don't know what the gently caress they were thinking.

They were banking on the very good odds that none of the play-in teams wins a pick. It was highly likely that the 1st lottery was gonna be enough, and it would've been nice to have it out of the way well before the games began.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Spelling Mitsake posted:

But what was the point? If you plugged all the teams in after the play in round, nobody would have to do this weird half-cheer for the times they like to lose. And then if Florida as Team E won with 2.5% odds, oh well that's how lotteries work.

Like I don't get what the benefit of doing it early was.

Who knows. Maybe they just wanted something on TV at that point. Maybe the eliminated teams really wanted it early.

I don't think it's a big deal anyway even though it's funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

fawning deference posted:

So wait, how are we determing 9-15? With another lottery? How does that work?

Regular season (reverse) order by points-percentage.

9 minnesota
10 winnipeg
11 rangers
12 nashville
13 florida
14 tor/cbj
15 edmonton
16 pittsburgh

though someone jumps to 1st obviously