Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

corn on the cop posted:

i wonder what the effect of no crowd is having on the officials because they're calling a regular season game

This isn’t the playoffs yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jupiter Jazz posted:

This was my first live game and it was incredible.

Set play of basketball, the spacing/back and forth of soccer, the machismo of football, dexterity and precision of baseball.

I loved it. Go Rangers.

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/456616952153128960

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Is overtime that unpopular?

No, no. He's saying the opposite.

Watching overtime playoff hockey will make your heart feel like you're on a motorcycle airdrop on coke.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spring Break My Heart posted:

There are infinite overtimes until there's a winner. Don't know how it works out but I guess they have a lot of built in schedule flexibility. The top 4 round robin will just have regular season overtime.

It might gently caress with the TV schedules but it's not like the arenas have anything else to do if they just push things out.

Sportsnet/Rogers would surely just bump whatever the gently caress they have planned, NBC might dump a game to a different channel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's already in Edmonton, where else are they going to send him?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rask is sick.

Rinne is bad.

I don’t know the other one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pretty sure DC has been gambling on covid since about March.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

eXXon posted:

The ice in Toronto still looks like absolute poo poo. Couldn't they have set up cameras in a smaller rink like Ricoh or a practice rink instead of trying to cool a giant empty arena in the middle of summer?

e: you'd think not having 19,000 warm bodies would help but it doesn't seem like it.

The arena is 900 meters from the hotels. They're able to easily bubble it in.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The seeding doesn't really matter, no. It just changes which jersey you wear more.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

I mean, doesn't the "Home" team get last change? There's definitely an upside to that.

The top 4 are still automatically the high seed in round 1 regardless and it's reseeded each round this year, so the value of that is diminished too. But yeah it's a bit better than nothing at all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

When was the last time there was a game-winning buzzer beater in any situation? This one is the last one I can remember off-hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHvE0cTSBrw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_2dpVbxmhY

This version doesn't have the NESN audio where Jack Edwards was talking about how you can't score in that little time, right as it happens.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They only brought so many whistles into the bubble, refs can't swallow them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm always right.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sportsnet was really loving weird about Price last night.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The guy was literally such a homer he left his broadcasting job to work for the team.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Have a ceremony like when they banish the old judge in the Stallone Dredd.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Carolina's problem is the goaltending, which doesn't really matter against New York when Panarin doesn't show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cocaine Bear posted:

Please don't summon that thing. It's been nice in here this year.

Oh no don't worry that only summons his coworker who definitely isn't him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Arivia posted:

Kinda shocked Nashville's gonna be out in the qualifiers, I thought they were better than that. I guess having Hall and Kessel really did make a difference, eh?

Maybe, but Nashville wildly disappointing is also their thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're just hoping they win that series so they don't have to make a decision.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If Arizona wins Lafreniere has to play half the season for a different team. It changes every year.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just wait until Edmonton and Tampa both go out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Dirty Burger posted:

Looking at Montreals roster, Bergy’s actually made quite a few smart trades in recent years

Danault for Weise and Fleischmann
Suzuki and Tatar for Patches
Domi for AGally

And all of SAS got owned by how the Weber/Subban trade turned out

His drafting though, yikes

Subban crashing that hard and fast, and Weber having a resurgence were both so improbable that happening at the same time is like a professional hockey team being beaten by a 42 year old zamboni driver on their own payroll.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

stab posted:

I had never seen this before.

More.

Plug it right into my veins.

:mmmhmm:

The guy on the right's soul leaves on the tying goal and he has no more tears left to cry by the winner.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sid's birthday will be spent packing up and getting the gently caress out ASAP.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What the gently caress Columbus?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Obviously that was all Columbus' fault for blowing the lead, but still Ruck Morgan Rielly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Misanthrope posted:

So the first four deciding series on Rogers Place ice:

1 - Flames win
2 - Taylor Hall wins
3 - Oilers lose
4 - Canucks win

That's pretty great.

The Canucks are used to winning (sometimes) at Rogers places.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Careful. That’s how you get yourselves swept by Columbus.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

kalensc posted:

Yeah they're neck and neck with the NBA (2 bubbles is impressive but built-in advantage of Canada versus Florida) in terms of successful relaunches.

Meanwhile the MLB and looming NFL seasons are going to end careers and/or lives.

The NHL was able to react to some of the things the players in Orlando did to break the rules and find a way to bring those in (mainly food options.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All according to plan.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, he still got $81m so I don't think it really works that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

marioinblack posted:

Outside of Philly, the other 3 top seeds in the east are very vulnerable to getting knocked out. Washington and Boston looked off in the round robin, and Tampa's down their best player (along with Stamkos). Philly ain't getting beat by Montreal, so they're the team to beat. I could see Boston playing their way back into game shape though, but Carolina is a brutal draw.

Carolina's goalies are barely AHL backup quality.

If Boston remembers how to score again, that's a casual stroll.