Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Wasabi the J posted:

I still don't know how they're going to stop tiktok
Best bet is to just wait a year until the teens migrate to the next flash-in-the-pan social media app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Apparently one of Biden's top VP options is either a cultist or at least willing to pile praise upon the cult:
https://twitter.com/AlxThomp/status/1289325268918661122?s=19

Now I've never actually heard of this person, much less associated with the VP pick, but she was apparently spotted with the campaign so could be a final contender. Whether scientologists were a part of her constituency or not, they're a dangerous loving cult and this should be immediately disqualifying.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Uhh, is there a specific tidbit of info you want to get across? I wasn't exactly asking the thread who she is.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
It's still very early on and the damage radius is enormous. Expect the number of killed and missing to rise.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

AlexanderCA posted:

This is a common attitude, but in reality most motorcycle fatalities are single vehicle accidents. A combination of going too fast into corners and target fixation are what we should be most concerned about.
I can't speak to motorcycles, but there is a clear trend toward drastically increased deaths as car companies increasingly bloat trucks and SUVs past any practical purpose to serve as penis substitutes for the insecure. America's car culture has very much emerged as part of its culture wars and it's no coincidence that CHUDs gravitate toward deliberately ostentatious vehicles (that some of them go on to murder protesters with).

quote:

When I was growing up in rural Colorado, my family had a classic work truck: a 1980 F-150 with the famous 300 cubic inch inline six-cylinder engine. It was often my task to fetch a load of sand for mixing concrete, or landscaping soil, or lumber for some project... That sort of truck is hard to come by in the consumer market these days. Trucks have gotten bigger, taller, gotten larger blind spots, and become much more powerful, luxurious, and expensive. Almost nobody even makes small pickups anymore, like the 1986 Toyota Hilux that I drove in college. The Toyota Tacoma, which used to be in that segment, is now almost as big as my old F-150.

This behemoth design trend — particularly the very tall, square front end seen in so many SUVs and trucks today — is both pointless and dangerous. Manufacturers have known for years that this style of vehicle is much more dangerous to pedestrians and cyclists, yet they keep making them bigger, taller, and heavier. Trucks and SUVs now make up fully 70 percent of all new cars sold in the U.S. Their bloated design is killing people, especially pedestrians.

When I made this observation on Twitter (in somewhat hyperbolic fashion), conservatives got steamed. Senator Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) accused me of being "afraid" of pickups. For the rest of the day, I got to enjoy good old conservative facts and reasoned debate: sexist and homophobic slurs, lurid fantasies about vehicular homicide, and repeated assertions that I drive a Prius — which appears to be the automotive equivalent of soy in the conservative mind palace. (I do not currently own a car of any kind, for the record.)

According to the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were 6,283 pedestrian fatalities in 2018, an increase of 53 percent compared to 2009 and the highest figure since 1990. That gives the U.S. a figure of 19 pedestrian deaths per 1 million population. By contrast, France and Denmark had rates of 7.0 and 5.2 that year... But the E.U. has cut pedestrian deaths by about 40 percent between 2007 and 2018 (from over 8,000 to about 4,900), while the U.S. has gone the opposite direction. Oslo and Helsinki did not have a single pedestrian death in all of 2019.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 8, 2020

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

Which is hilarious since so much of the anti Vax movement is liberal.
Don't want to bother digging up the sources, but I've generally heard that the association between liberals and the anti-vax movement has been wildly overblown in the past and, with the current massive crossover with QAnon folk, can certainly no longer said to be accurate.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Naramyth posted:

29% events happen all the time. It’s just the election is a single die roll instead of hundreds.
It is constantly annoying to me that this needs to be re-explained again and again. Folks are taking extraordinary measures to ensure that they don't get the coronavirus because there's a 1% chance that they'll die, but a Trump winning with a forecasted 29% likelihood is impossible and a sign that pollsters are full of poo poo.

May their model be full of poo poo for other reasons? Sure! But an unlikely thing occurring is not indicative of that.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

right, sometimes unlikely things happen, so there's no way to judge a predictive model by actual events
You're right, but there's no way in hell we're completely redoing the 2016 election even nine more times to see whether Trump only wins a little less than a third of them.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

It means that voting isn't the only way to get what you want.
woah dude, you're like, blowing my mind with this take

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

We have a thread for this slapfight
This poster is correct. To participate in the depths of depravity this discussion inevitably ends up in, click here to make all your wildest dreams come true.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Yep, if there's one thing that completely shuts down the right, it's factual evidence and a good, well-delivered speech.

Christ, people have learned nothing from 2016 :cripes:
The point isn't that a good, well-delivered speech shuts down the right, it's that it shuts down arguments that might sway fence-sitters (and yes, idiots or scumbags though they may be, they do exist).

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Madurai posted:

I'm looking forward to the eventual revelation that Q was a foreign psyop all along for the amount of national-scale crack-ping.
I mean, if it didn't start out that way, foreign powers would be absolute fools not to pass up the incredible opportunity it presents. As is, honestly, the current trend toward uncompromising zealotry that exploits the often very justified grievances everyone feels. All it takes is one bad actor with a couple sock puppets to wade into a vulnerable community and stir poo poo up. Just look at all the stupid "worried mom" groups that have gone from "well-meaning, but stupidly wrongheaded" to "frothing-at-the-mouth and baying for blood".

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's with the birbs
birbs happen

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Wouldn't hurt to reach out directly to local media, either, to make sure your side of things is presented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Notahippie posted:

No joke, it’s time to start planning for how to keep safe and keep things calm in your community.
This. If the country keeps going down this path, it's really important to remember just how well-armed right-wing assholes are. I know some posters on SA are into accelerationism and believe the militia nuts are all cowards, but that just means they'll aim to pull the trigger on soft targets.

The accelerationists are having fantasies of us-vs-them, head-on urban combat, but poo poo's going to devolve first into pop-up pogroms and terrorist attacks if we don't find an offramp.

We must try to find that off-ramp, but it would need cooperation from the GOP and right-wing media and I'm worried that just won't be forthcoming.