Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

orange juche posted:

She'd make a good VP

Trump wouldn't miss an opportunity to crow about her disability while :smugdon:ing every chance he got, too. Sure, it'd play for the 35-40% who would vote for him even if they were on fire and he was dousing them with gasoline, but it'll alienate just as many.

It'd be painful to hear all the loving pundits being armchair OSHA planners, though. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

I want to know what the NYPD counterterrorism unit would have done to stop 9/11 from happening if they had existed before 9/11. I'm guessing jack and/or poo poo.

I'd imagine they're constantly looking for angles to justify the over-funding of their department.

"FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE! ...you know, other than the 7-8 lines *before* us. GIB MONEES PLZ!"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Midjack posted:

I really have to wonder what these cheese dicks think they are doing that the military, law enforcement, and intelligence communities don’t already do more and better.

The counterterrorism division oversees a range of activities including:

The Technology and Construction Section which designs counterterrorism projects spends city money on IT stuff and sends personnel all over the world to 'learn from the best' on what equate to paid vacations because FREEDOM! Also hacking the phones of wives and exes.
The Training Section which provides counterterrorism training about how best to bullshit the city for more funds and give the mayor the ability to feel like he's more than just a big city's mayor.
The Threat Reduction Infrastructure Protection Section (TRIPS) which develops specific defensive strategies for various locations in the city and how best to position themselves for lucrative post-LEO jobs with the same contractors they're colluding with.
The Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, and Explosives (CBRNE) Section which conducts tests and research on new counterterrorism technologies which will never be used because if there ever is a major CBRN threat these guys will be the first to get out of the city with their families.
The Maritime Team, which designs counterterrorism systems for the city's harbors, this includes the Tactical Radiological Acquisition Characterization System (TRACS) which maps background radiation and likely helps organized crime smuggle poo poo in.
The NYPD SHIELD Unit which provides information and training to the public on counterterrorism because if there's one thing the NYPD is stellar at, it's information sharhahahahahsdfhsdfhjdhsfshdhahahahahahaahahahah!!!!!
The Emergency Preparedness and Exercise Section, which liaises with the NYC Office of Emergency Management the same one that Rudy HQed in the World Trade Center.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 4, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

It's still very early on and the damage radius is enormous. Expect the number of killed and missing to rise.

There's always an "asterisk" factor for explosions like this because even though matter can't ever be ~completely~ destroyed it can drat well sure be pulverized and vaporized by massive overpressures.

And using Nukemap just as rough guide, it looks like it happened in one of the best worst places to minimize immediate deaths.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

At the same time, the things we *do* know about it -- 140 m crater diameter -- points to more like 5 kilotons of TNT equivalent :stare:

Maybe if it was in the middle of a desert testing site. My guess is the ground the warehouse was on was loosely-packed and sandy/rocky, plus the crater's only going to get bigger now that it's exposed to the tides.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

lmao at the cops absolute helplessness in the face of the SHIELDWALL :black101:

"They could have guns behind that barrier."
"You know what? I think I heard a slide racking."
"I did too."
"So did I."

~Kent State Redux~

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Watch trick‐or‐treating happen anyway.

It’s a perfect storm of “it’s outdoors”, “kids are immune”, and “tradition”—not that any of these are deserved.

WON'T SOMEONE ~PLEASE~ THINK OF THE CANDY COMPANIES?!?!?!?!?!

There's already Halloween-themed candy hitting the shelves. I think they're hoping that selling it sooner might cushion the loss.

But yeah, really looking forward to the parents taking video of their crying kids who didn't get any candy because "no one would open their door" and how this is proof of :hurr:.

RFC2324 posted:

I thought the outdoors thing was still considered somewhat effective (when combined with masks and social distance)?

It's a practice that entails a group of children (who won't want to wear a mask because it'll ruin their immersion) yelling/screaming TRICK OR TREAT at you before putting their ungloved hands into a bowl full of wrappers.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 10, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

To add to concerns about holidays, Thanksgiving travel is gonna be what? Like 10% of usual? That, combined with the ongoing lack of business travel, makes me think we're gonna see several massive airlines go under or merge for survival.

Alaska just extended their "buy one seat, get [half] the row free" promo, so yeah, it's gonna be interesting.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

I hereby declare that the derecho contains a ROLLING WALL OF gently caress and you don't want to mess with that ROLLING WALL OF gently caress

Also, remember if you lose power for a few days, you can claim spoiled food on renters/homeowners' insurance. :eng101:

You mean the National Department of Scapegoats?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So it dawned on me earlier. Hillary's poking her head into the picture not because she wants Secretary of State again...

...it's because she wants Chief of Staff.

"Gatekeeper" to the President, hundreds of staffers to yell at and torture, able to enforce her will on countless Democrats...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

bengy81 posted:

You know it's gonna be DHL, just because they have the worst drivers and software for logistics.

Lasership.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Arven posted:

I'm just curious what's gonna happen when 10s of millions of trump supports stop receiving their physical social security and disability checks.

Them doing anything about it would require wresting themselves out of their recliners.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

They can make all the videos they like, the message is the same: we deserve/want a *competent* fascist.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

Conservative propaganda at this point is an all or nothing thing. Either the person looking at it will easily be swayed or they'll reject, if they where gonna be swayed in the first place THEY WHERE NEVER GONNA VOTE NON-REPUBLICAN SO WHY EVEN CARE WHAT THEY THINK.

Democrats: "But we're right and they're wrong! Here, we've got a 13,522 page analysis we commissioned to prove it with graphs and charts that has a fifty seven word title and three hundred word subtitle authored by seven really smart guys who have fifty eight PhDs between them! Just read it!"

Republicans: "I'll consider lowering your taxes a bit if you let me loot the country for my billionaire donors and keep being unconscionably evil to brown people." (gets elected)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 17, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Electoral Map from 1972 is...something, too.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

So I got curious about "low intensity sectarian conflict" and scaled the casualty numbers from The Troubles onto the united states.

930,000 dead, 13 million wounded.

The Irish weren't nearly as well or ubiquitously armed as the US is. Sure, they had ~specialty~ items like plastique and RPGs, but nowhere near the guns and numbers. Pretty sure you could ratchet your numbers up by at least an order of magnitude.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The US is also much more vulnerable to easy to carry out infrastructure damage that would lead to a huge number of indirect deaths.

Given that so many bridges in this country are almost to the "don't blow on it funny" stage...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Speaking of Fringe (watch that show, holy gently caress):

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1296160490842980355?s=19

It might be too late for internet-poisoned grandparents, but I don't think they're going to chase this poo poo down to the chan sites.

Where We Go Now?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

LongDarkNight posted:

Cocaine at the DNC has got to be primo.

Sustainably sourced fair trade yayo!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I get a distinct "slapfight" vibe from both Hunter and Junior. That kind of "we THINK our fighting looks badass when in truth we look like Lightsaber Kid without the stick" vibe.

Or the "can't make Dad look bad by actually doing any real damage" style of fighting.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ded posted:

pook isn't wrong

Now for a feelgood :
https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1296501045498183683?s=20

This is the yacht that bannon was arrested on

It was funnier to imagine him getting arrested on that glorified dinghy pictured earlier.

Seeing his Bond Villain wannabe yacht just makes me cringe at how many Epstein-ings have taken place on that thing.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 21, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Duckworth said a thing so therefore I post the thing here.

Surely the cop was the better choice over the wounded warrior. -_-

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

That looks like the wildflower patches between opposing interstate lanes. Guys, I'm beginning to think Melania has absolutely no sense of style. :ohdear:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Thomamelas posted:

Their daughter has been tweeting about emancipation.

Yeah, imagining living in that house...Mom works for Trump, and Dad is butthurt that we don't have a *competent* fascist in the White House that makes him feel better about being a Republican.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I've yet to see it reported on any medium that doesn't print anything they read in a tweet, but allegedly/supposedly KJU is in a coma and his sister's now the de facto leader of North Korea.

What does that make this, the third time he's died/been at death's door?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ded posted:

Seems to happen any time he isn't seen in public for more than a week. Dude dies more than Phil Coulson.

It's bad even when RT starts dunking on a semi-major customer of Russian goods and services:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RT_com/status/1297836046789554178

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ded posted:

I still haven't heard an explanation as to how removing mail sorting machines saves money.

Electricity! :science:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

i feel like this story may follow them for a while

https://twitter.com/arguendope/status/1298014040636174336

CUCK 469
Course ID J1550NH3R80085
Professors: Falwell, Becki and Falwell, Jerry Jr. (observing/'emeritus')
Open Slots and Wait List: Contact Professor

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Nah, there definitely had to be *some* "prerequisites."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

egyptian rat race posted:

Lynchburg feels like an otherwise decent town aside from the University who treats its employees and students like poo poo.

...and the whole 'the name of the town' thing. John Lynch was better than his brother Charles, whom the practice of lynching was named for, but he was still a slaveowner.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The biggest danger here is a Wisconsin jury taking pity on a "scared" kid and "not wanting to ruin his life."

Here's the other thing to consider. He fled across state lines after committing a crime. That makes it a federal case.

"I'mma pardon him. Boys will be boys, y'know? I said that first." :smugdon:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Midjack posted:

I predict it doesn’t go to trial for at least a year and he walks on state charges. Feds decline to prosecute.

And in the meantime, we're probably going to see a bunch of "his name is Robert Paulsen Kyle Rittenhouse" bullshit from the Boog and militia circles, his mom making appearances on OANN and Fox News... :negative:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

GoGoGadget posted:

Doesn't charging the kid with 1st degree murder mean they have to show it was pre-meditated?

Yeah, I'm worried it's an over-reach.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It means he was filming Black Panther while undergoing treatment for Stage III colon cancer.

And Endgame was last year.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

If you want to see something cool tonight, NROL-44 launches in ~20m: https://youtu.be/wPu0OMqwDsU

It's a Delta IV Heavy *night launch*. It's worth watching.

EDIT: Launch is on hold, window expires at 6:25am Eastern.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 29, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Launch is back on, less than 10 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPu0OMqwDsU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Scrubbed due to abort

Yeah, since it aborted at ignition it's gonna be the better part of a week before there's another attempt since they have to change out the engines. -_-

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

US Berder Patrol posted:

How did that whole hurricane thing go? Is Galveston still there?

There are two more (potential) storms on the way. Give it time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Discussion Quorum posted:

The most active season on record was 2005. That's the year they ran out of alphabet and had to use Greek letters. Katrina hit at the end of August. We just got through the letter M. :thumbsup:

Nana and Omar are up next.

HE COMIN'

BigDave posted:

everything is pointless, nothing matters, we'll all die slow and painful deaths, and the memories of our existence will quickly fade into nothingness

Eat Arbys. :smith:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

So looks like an activist was just shot and killed in Portland. More info pending, but, real sad news

https://twitter.com/pdxalerts/status/1299922444866580480