Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Even if you wanted to keep them a group that fought other groups, the "there was no one left on the roster to fight" thing doesn't make sense to me because The Shield were, themselves, a random assemblage of dudes they just pulled out of the semi-NXT ether and convinced everyone was important, and around the time they broke up is when NXT was first really going into indie-superstar-collectathon mode. Around the time of/within a few months after the breakup the NXT roster had Pac, Sami, Finn, Owens, KENTA, The Revival, The Ascension before they became a joke, even fuckin' Baron Corbin if you wanted to be all Vince McMahon about it. It would've been the easiest thing in the world, and a way to cross-promote a still-new NXT, to have Triple H get revenge for the slaying of his old friends by bringing in an army of his shiny new superwrestler toys the same way they had with The Shield in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

yeah, the way that basically every single even moderately successful group in WWE history has some story about how they were fighting this constant pitched battle to keep from getting broken up on a weekly basis is really distressingly indicative of why our conversations about the better ways they could do things are basically meaningless

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

What insane eldritch power is at the heart of the XFL that it keeps possessing the minds of men with too much money.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

They succeeded in getting me to watch a weekly show for the first time in months and that show succeeded in getting me to not want to watch a weekly show for years.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

fatherofmustard posted:

How did the Raw thread get so many replies tonight?

There was a huge twitter kerfluffle about how the show was being rewritten under massive chaos earlier today and a big part of it was about this insane rumor that Shane McMahon was bringing back the Brawl 4 All or something, and we all wanted to see how stupid this new thing would be, and we all committed the great fallacy of assuming it would just be stupid, rather than stupid and boring.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

MJeff posted:

I cannot stress this enough.

They did a full video package recapping Asuka's match with Sasha last week.

Not only did they do this, they had a match involving Sasha end in an Asuka-related DQ and cut to commercial in the middle of the ensuing brawl, and when they returned from commercial they returned straight into that very lengthy recap package with no preamble, after which they came back to Asuka giving an interview about what happened last week rather than what had just happened now, and then Sasha and Bayley had another theme-music-and-all entrance despite having just been in a DQ brawl before the commercial break started.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Oh God I'm so sorry I didn't catch up on the thread properly and see you'd already done this! Thank you and yes I legit would have thought you made this up :lol:

I thought of you, J-Ru, when they introduced the 24/7 title match and spoke aloud the sentence "the rules of the 24/7 title are suspended for the duration of the 24/7 title match"

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I cannot get over that they gave Adam Cole the longest world title reign in NXT history, had his stable dominate the company for even longer and put him over everyone from Johnny Gargano to Daniel Bryan, and their first post-championship storyline capitalizing on all of that time and effort is a feud with Pat Buck, Part-Time Backstage Guy

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Alaois posted:

oh no its not

its a feud with Pat McAfee, a retired NFL punter who doesn't even work for the WWE

I actually knew the name part and messed it up because I have made the crucial mistake of posting while half-awake, but wait, I thought Cole's Pat was that dumb rear end in a top hat who hosted the youtube watchalongs and poo poo and got yelled at by Michael Cole for wearing shorts that one time

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

It took me like a year to feel really okay watching Daniel Bryan wrestle again and that was just because of concussion and numbness problems, I cannot fathom how long it would take me to not be wincing and half-covering my eyes every time Tyson Kidd got in a ring.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

There's plenty to mock WWE about, but Asuka getting title shots against Sasha and Bayley ain't one of them. That rules.

Bayley, Sasha and Asuka all rule, and whatever they do will rule, but it was already a salient point that the WWE had put every single women's championship on the main roster into the Bayley/Sasha angle and wrapping both of them up with a single challenger only makes that feel worse.

I was halfway through typing "I'm assuming Sasha will help Bayley retain her title and then Asuka will win Sasha's belt when Bayley doesn't return the favor" before I remembered there's another pay-per-view a loving week after Summerslam so it's just safer to assume nothing will happen.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Rusev talked WWE again on Ryback's show and it's all bad but this is the keeper:

quote:

I give it a one go, then a second go. I said, ‘Vince, we have sold out all of our merchandise. We are beating Roman. We are beating AJ. We are beating everybody.’ He said, ‘what do you mean?’ I said, ‘the shirt is sold out, the merch is sold out’ and he said, ‘well maybe they didn’t make enough.’

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I know "the WWE did something completely insane" is old hat as a concept but they keep finding new ways, it's like the visual equivalent of a schizophrenic breakdown

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

RealFoxy posted:

Vince wants mainstream attention but is stuck in the WWE bubble he has no idea what mainstream is anymore. He's just senile.

He wants the mainstream attention, but he also doesn't want any of his people getting popular enough with the mainstream that they could have leverage over The Brand, so he actively refuses to make anyone enough of a marquee figure that they could become a big star and nearly all the mainstream attention they receive is accidental and immediately run into the ground.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I had Takeover on in a corner during AEW and it bugs me that Pat McAfee looked good.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

he's such a weird Triple H vanity project

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Is it me or does Keith Lee seem weirdly flat tonight?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Eat My Fuc posted:

Literally or figuratively

There ain't a diet or workout plan in the world.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I love Keith Lee but he's one of those wrestlers I feel definitely works much better with a live crowd (a real crowd, not Performance Center hostages).

That's definitely part of it but he also looks kind of winded and off-balance, like he took that DDT bump more like he was collapsing than bumping.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Eat My Fuc posted:

i’m not sold enough on Kross to get into the match unfortunately. His entrance is silly and he’s just a guy

his whole schtick is so unfocused

He's a big stalking power guy except he's also a hardcore martial arts guy except he's also a goth occult guy

edit: that might be my first double post in the entire goddamn time I've been here, it is tragic NXT is reduced to this

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

of COURSE they did.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Why would they book Keith Lee to lose?

Unless he's getting called up this week. That makes no sense.

Because Karrion Kross is

CarlCX posted:

a weird Triple H vanity project

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

I would not be at all surprised if Keith Lee is called up.

This is one of the biggest weaknesses in the NXT->WWE pipeline right now, Keith Lee was white-hot earlier this year and they did the right thing and put a rocket on him, and then they gradually took his cool stuff away, and then they had him look like a doof on the south side of a completely random feud, and now he's just gotten his rear end completely kicked and looks like a loser, and now that 100% of his momentum is gone, this is the most pragmatic point atwhich he can be called up to the main roster.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

He doesn't think there's anything more that needs to be said? How about explaining why they didn't contact the person actually making the claims against Dream?

I would wager he EXCEPTIONALLY does not think there's anything more to be said about that, and he would very much like you to agree with him and ask about why he's so cool.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/WWENetwork/status/1297405713904533504

they took the title off keith lee and goku got mad and now kross is injured and might not be able to wrestle

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I occasionally need to be reminded that the WWE has one of the most incredible physical specimens and performers in the history of the sport in Cesaro and the highest-profile thing they've ever done with him is have him lose a championship match to a ten year-old at Wrestlemania

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

"Everyone's career will go through ups and downs," says Triple H, the Cerebral Assassin, the rear end-Kicker, the 14-time world champion

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

It's really funny to me for some reason that they've spent weeks doing this angle about an evil antifa gang that's wrecking all the shows and causing chaos, and then at the biggest show possible they don't show up for even a second, but the WWE does run a professionally-produced video package to let you know you should care about them.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Roman's gonna win the belt at Payback before audiences return so Vince McMahon can pipe in the thunderous ovation he's been craving for half a decade.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

JOHN CENA posted:

before each show if they're a platinum Inside Crew member ($1,000 a year), they can take a photo with a WWE Superstar (that wwe chooses.)

someone out there with a decorative WWE mantel display with 52 weekly photos of Sheamus

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Intruder posted:

Didn't Ronda call Becky Rebecca Quin once? Or was that just on twitter?

she did, which was then followed by the segment where she explained why Becky's armbar finisher was a fake pro wrestling move because pro wrestling is fake

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Critical posted:

Did the ring break the exact same way it has the last four times?

i can see it in my head. big bump, front right corner slumps toward the ground, all the ring posts hinge towards the center, ref acts like he's in candlestick park circa 1989, cole screams about how they've never seen anything like that for 5 straight minutes

Exactly the same with the sole difference being the ref instead took a melodramatic bump to the outside. Which didn't actually make sense because that meant he had to bump in the opposite direction of the ring breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

It’s anyone, but maybe no way Jose is the archetype of “here to have fun”? He tells a story about how disappointed he was when they gave him the name. He knew.

I was an honest to god No Way Jose fan, he gave that dumbass gimmick his all and on the rare occasions he was allowed to turn it up and show intensity he was actually a decent brawler and he was real, real good at connecting with a crowd. But no, the second he agreed to the dancing idiot gimmick his career was over.