Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

:lol: this only makes it look worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dinosaurs! posted:

:lol: this only makes it look worse

I think my reading of that is Jeter is saying the league tried to scapegoat the Marlins and put it on them that they decided to play (the team vote story) when it was an informed league decision. The same way Manfred blamed the players and put it on the union for the problems. The Marlins would still be responsible for not not pulling their players or team but gently caress MLB trying to wash their hands of everything.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Kirios posted:

END THE SEASON ALREADY WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Uh

Uh huh

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Kirios posted:

END THE SEASON ALREADY WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, lots of countries are handling it better than us. Its entirely possible that by the time April 2021 comes we'll have had a massive political overhaul and a federal government that organizes a proper and serious handling of things. Its even possible that by November or so enough poo poo will have shifted enough to scare people into doing the necessary things and not protecting their political interests. God willing.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

GalacticAcid posted:

Haha nothing good will happen, do not delude yourself

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
MLB C/V August: END THE SEASON ALREADY WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 3, 2020

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

I think my reading of that is Jeter is saying the league tried to scapegoat the Marlins and put it on them that they decided to play (the team vote story) when it was an informed league decision. The same way Manfred blamed the players and put it on the union for the problems. The Marlins would still be responsible for not not pulling their players or team but gently caress MLB trying to wash their hands of everything.

For sure. I agree in the players vs. league context. I just meant that learning everyone with any authority to stop the game knew but didn’t act is an even bigger failure than the players not informing the league and going rogue.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Plague Ball!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dinosaurs! posted:

For sure. I agree in the players vs. league context. I just meant that learning everyone with any authority to stop the game knew but didn’t act is an even bigger failure than the players not informing the league and going rogue.

Yeah, it seems less of a "covering our asses" statement and more of a "gently caress you, MLB! We're not taking the fall alone!" Or at least that's how I read it. I think the fact it comes a week later after the Cardinals and Manfred's statement makes it feel more like a general "gently caress you" to me. If the Marlins were doing damage control they probably should have done that last week.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

GalacticAcid posted:

:hmmyes:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

GalacticAcid posted:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

end the season

clap clap clapclapclap

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/1290382616084930560?s=20

Ahhh just in time

(Cancel baseball)

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Going to laugh when Jo Adell makes his MLB debut tomorrow and starts his service clock and then the season ends the following day. Are we at the point where teams get an extra year of control due to service time fuckery?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Expecting professional athletes to follow guidelines (as opposed to enforced rules) was never gonna work when most athletes think they're invincible, as well as having highly... irregular habits like having a chicken sandwich from a fast food restaurant before a game. MLB should have realized this and not allowed for leaving the bubble.

It's a shitshow and they've dug their own grave.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the leagues that are actually enforcing a bubble seem to be doing much better. MLB's just always had a laissez faire attitude about this and we saw the holes with their testing as far back as July 4th. America is a mess because of America. MLB is a mess because of MLB. But there's definitely more competent approaches out there.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

MorrisBae posted:

What's the point in ripping up the infield a week before a game exactly

https://twitter.com/ChrisHorvatits4/status/1290356766954455041

I assume the Buffalo stadium owners are trying to rush in every single upgrade they can think of that they can bill to the Jays before they get cancelled.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Oh wow - they're going to get new padding around the entire goddamn field

I'm impressed

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Neat, but I still wish Anaheim had pulled off the Joc trade.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the players aren't completely blameless, because who the gently caress goes to a loving strip club in the middle of a pandemic

but the vast majority of the blame is on MLB, because after aforementioned players went to aforementioned strip club their response was "yeah, let them play, it'll all be fine"

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

seiferguy posted:

Expecting professional athletes to follow guidelines (as opposed to enforced rules) was never gonna work when most athletes think they're invincible, as well as having highly... irregular habits like having a chicken sandwich from a fast food restaurant before a game. MLB should have realized this and not allowed for leaving the bubble.

It's a shitshow and they've dug their own grave.

I mean, I also doubt the players would have agreed to "you must stay in your room at all times when on the road and also unlike those other sports we're going to do nothing substantial to make that more enjoyable. Have fun"

There shouldn't be a season, and that's only going to get more obvious. Long term, there would be substantial benefit to the first league willing to halt their season because it's an awful idea, to say nothing of the waste of resources, tests, and PPE. But because this only looks mostly dumb today, nobody's willing to do it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lots of players have failed.

MLB created the system for them to fail while giving false promises that it was safe. And then blamed them.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Until there's team to team transmission they're just gonna pretend that postponing games for a week is a solution

Shouldn't the Marlins still be contagious? Cuz they're supposed to play tomorrow

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

MLB let them fail on purpose so they could point fingers and gain leverage in negotiations later

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Until there's team to team transmission they're just gonna pretend that postponing games for a week is a solution

Shouldn't the Marlins still be contagious? Cuz they're supposed to play tomorrow

Yeah, its actually kind of amazing that they've kept the outbreaks contained to teams so far with no obvious transmission across. I guess the Phillies might have caught it from the Marlins but that seemed relatively controlled compared to the Marlins and Cardinals.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Cardinals and Marlins should play each other indefinitely as Plague Teams

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

The Cardinals and Marlins should play each other indefinitely as Plague Teams

:hmmyes:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Marlins traded for or signed like 9 random relievers in the last week and it's so bizarre

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Also didn't see it posted but sad that the only baseball site I read is shutting down. Hopefully Craig's next venture is good.

https://twitter.com/craigcalcaterra/status/1290362989372153858

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/angels/status/1290429795679916033?s=21

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Good Dog posted:

Going to laugh when Jo Adell makes his MLB debut tomorrow and starts his service clock and then the season ends the following day. Are we at the point where teams get an extra year of control due to service time fuckery?

Yeah, we are. From The Athletic:

quote:

In calling him up now, more than a week into the season, the Angels will also secure an additional year of club control before Adell would hit free agency. Those rules, however, could be altered in the next collective bargaining agreement that is slated to be negotiated after the 2021 season.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Beat me to it.

loving hell.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So there are now two instances of a player breaking quarantine and getting infected.

In both cases, the protocols in place completely failed to prevent spread to a significant number of teammates, resulting in teams having to shut down for at least a week.

Seems pretty clear the system as set up is not capable of managing this situation at all!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

4-6 weeks is basically season-ending

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Day to day is basically season-ending

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the big takeway from these incidents shouldn't be that individual players screwed up. Of course they did. There's nearly 1000 players in the mix. SOME of them are going to be colossal idiots or selfish or think the virus is a hoax. It was MLB's job to build a system that protects the whole from the few and detects the infected in a timely manner so they don't spread it. And they have clearly failed.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I read the news today, oh boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bees x1000 posted:

I read the news today, oh boy

About the Cardinals getting the disease