Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Feels ominous. Hope he’s ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

“Not good” seems not good

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/Orioles/status/1289765739273105408?s=20

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

TV Zombie posted:

Didn’t Manfred threaten to end the season today if certain covid related issues weren’t resolved?

He alerted TV networks to have alternative programming ready, as soon as today, in case the season gets cancelled this early. I figure it was just the league doing some contractual CYA business and not an indication of an imminent cancellation. They’ve been clear that it’s full steam ahead.

Also, given the Mets history, I’m naturally skeptical they’re being honest about what happened with Cespedes. But if they really didn’t know where he was I’m more likely to believe his agent dropped the ball than a scenario where he just ghosted.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status/1290341072007245825?s=12

Those players are dumbasses, no doubt, but MLB is just as much to blame for thinking “strongly discouraged” would mean anything more than jack poo poo.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

:lol: this only makes it look worse

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

I think my reading of that is Jeter is saying the league tried to scapegoat the Marlins and put it on them that they decided to play (the team vote story) when it was an informed league decision. The same way Manfred blamed the players and put it on the union for the problems. The Marlins would still be responsible for not not pulling their players or team but gently caress MLB trying to wash their hands of everything.

For sure. I agree in the players vs. league context. I just meant that learning everyone with any authority to stop the game knew but didn’t act is an even bigger failure than the players not informing the league and going rogue.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Woke up, fell out of bed
Stuck a COVID test into my head

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Breaking for that home run call is too funny

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I realize it’s in the first paragraph, but I wish the headline or preview blurb reflected that Ripken is cancer free after an operation this past spring - although then there’s no reason to click.

He fell a peg for his stance on Utley’s takeout slide in the 2015 NLDS, but that’s pretty tame on the “favorite childhood player disappoints you” scale.

e: I don’t remember good

Dinosaurs! fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 20, 2020

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

:lol: please tell me that’s real. It sounds like a dub.

e: wait that looks like it’s from their Aug. 5 game

Dinosaurs! fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 20, 2020

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

It’s so heartening to see players strike games these past two days. I wish it were during a regular season for maximum impact, but I’m not sure they could pull it off with fans in the parks. I have no doubt there’d be heavy retribution from the owners. I suppose the COVID-19 season has created the unique opportunity for this.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/howardmegdal/status/1299126163688894465?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

quote:

”... He explained he was watching on TV, watching the convention, he wasn't really thinking about the timing of anything, but just tweeted out some things. From him to me, there was no malice there about anything that was going on in anything that he said."

Ok. Phew. Turns out it was just general racism, not specifically in response to the Red Sox striking their game. Glad we could clear that up.