Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Pro-Wrestling Champion for July, 2020?
This poll is closed.
Yuka Sakazaki (PRINCESS of PRINCESS Champion) 20 23.26%
:byodame: EVIL (IWGP Champion) 16 18.60%
:gitgudhorn: Hikaru Shida (AEW Women's Champion) 11 12.79%
Jon Moxley (AEW Champion) 10 11.63%
Yoshiko (Beyond the SEA Single Championship) 8 9.30%
:nono: Bayley (Smackdown Women's Champion) 6 6.98%
:nallears: Tetsuya Naito (FORMER IWGP Champion) 4 4.65%
:shibe: Eddie Edwards (Impact Champion) 2 2.33%
Sasha Banks (Raw Women's Champion) 2 2.33%
Asuka (FORMER Raw Women's Champion) 1 1.16%
:scotland: Drew McIntyre (WWE Champion) 1 1.16%
Suwama (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) 1 1.16%
:black101: Arisa Nakajima (FORMER Beyond the SEA Single Championship) 0 0%
Ayato Yoshida (2AW Openweight Champion) 0 0%
:manning: Yuji Okabayashi (FORMER 2AW Openweight Champion) 0 0%
:mump: Tetsuya Endo (KO-D Openweight Champion) 0 0%
:hmmwrong: None of the Above 4 4.65%
Total: 86 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

With AEW out of the picture and New Japan back in the wrestling scene but not on the Champ Poll yet, last month was a chance for somebody new to seize top position. Somebody did, despite a lower than normal turnout, as Arisa Nakajima won Champ of the Month in her FIRST ever appearance in our monthly polls. This was also the first ever win for the SEAdLINNNG promotion. An aberration? Perhaps. But history will always record that on FIGHT ISLAND, June of 2020 belonged to Arisa Nakajima.

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant. Impact returns this month in the wake of a well-received PPV and a new Champion marking a possible fresh start: this is their chance to prove they belong back on the monthly poll. Meanwhile, many other promotions that made up the numbers the last few months might fall away if they stop polling well now the bigger promotions are back.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread. Almost everybody is back this month, after a long absence by many promotions. Basically the only Champions who drops off the poll this month is NOAH Champion Go Shiozaki and Universal Champion Braun Strowman (whose awful Swamp Fight was explicitly non-title). That said, the monthly "None of the Above" option remains a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

:black101: Arisa Nakajima (FORMER Beyond the SEA Single Championship) - Arisa entered the month on a high with both a FIGHT ISLAND match of the year contender and champion of the month poll win. Unfortunately the influence of Something Awful pales in comparison to the influence of TikTok as Arisa dropped the belt to Yoshiko. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

Yoshiko (Beyond the SEA Single Championship) - Famous TikTok superstar Yoshiko was able to defeat her long time rival Arisa in a fantastic match to capture the Beyond the SEA Championship for the first time adding it to her tag team gold to become a double champion. Not one to back down from a fight, Yoshiko immediately called out Aja Kong. It may be a decision the new champion comes to regret as Aja ruined Yoshiko's birthday celebrations with a spinning backfist and a clean pinfall just two weeks later. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

Asuka (FORMER Raw Women's Champion) - Asuka had a rough month, as she "lost" the title at the Horror Show at Extreme Rules (the horror show (at Extreme Rules)) when Bayley stole a ref shirt and counted a pin for her friend Sasha Banks. They rematched on Raw, where Asuka lost the title by countout after racing to the back to save friend Kairi Sane from a beatdown by Bayley.

Sasha Banks (Raw Women's Champion) - Sasha had a great month, as she "won" the title at the Horror Show at Extreme Rules (the horror show (at Extreme Rules)) when Bayley stole a ref shirt and counted a pin for her friend. Sasha and Asuka rematched on Raw, where Asuka lost the title by countout after racing to the back to save friend Kairi Sane from a beatdown by Bayley.

:mump: Tetsuya Endo (KO-D Openweight Champion) - Unlike that other Tetsuya, Endo successfully defended his championship against Yuki Ueno in DDT's return to Korakuen Hall. After the match, he vowed to win the King of DDT and name Kenny Omega as his challenger for the Ultimate Party. Omega was quick to accept, but whether Endo will be able to live up to his promise (and whether Kenny will be able to enter the country) remains to be seen. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:scotland: Drew McIntyre (WWE Champion) - At the Horror Show at Extreme Rules (the horror show (at Extreme Rules)), Drew defeated Dolph Ziggler in a match where Extreme Rules only counted for Ziggler. They rematched in a title match a couple of weeks later that got turned into a non-title match without explanation, where Drew defeated Dolph yet again to retain a title that was no longer on the line. He ended the month being ambushed by Randy Orton.

Suwama (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) - Suwama defeated Shuji Ishikawa at AJPW's Summer Action Series to retain his Triple Crown title, his second successful defense in two months after All Japan finally returned from COVID lockdown.

:nono: Bayley (Smackdown Women's Champion) - At the Horror Show at Extreme Rules (the horror show (at Extreme Rules)), Bayley defeated Nikki Cross to retain her title. Nikki had lost multiple matches to Bayley, but despite the loss at the Horror Show at Extreme Rules (the horror show (at Extreme Rules)) she managed to earn another shot after defeating Alexa Bliss in a singles match... and proceeded to lose clean yet again to Bayley, who left the show cackling and laughing as she continued her dominant and highly entertaining run as Champion.

:shibe: Eddie Edwards (Impact Champion) - Impact returns to the poll, as Eddie Edwards won the vacant title (Tessa Blanchard refused to send in video promos from Mexico during COVID meaning an entire show/s had to be re-edited) in a Fatal Fiveway to become the top champion of the promotion once known as TNA.

:gitgudhorn: Hikaru Shida (AEW Women's Champion) - At Fyter Fest, Shida defeated Penelope Ford in a shockingly good match (no shock for Shida, but most didn't think Ford had it in her). Afterwards she proclaimed that she was happy to take on ANYBODY, and proved as good as her word as she ended the month with two non-title matches against Rache Chanel and Diamante.

Jon Moxley (AEW Champion) - Despite his wife testing positive for COVID and Moxley staying in the house (at a distance) from her, Moxley managed to avoid getting it himself. This meant that his long built up match against Brian Cage was only slightly delayed, and he successfully defended the title against Cage when he tried to make good on his promise to break Cage's arm, causing manager Taz to throw in the towel.

:nallears: Tetsuya Naito (FORMER IWGP Champion) - FINALLY after a lengthy absence due to COVID, New Japan wrestling returned and FINALLY Naito defended his double titles again for the first time in months.... and lost! It wasn't a matter of being Tranquilo over, Naito fell victim to a betrayal by one of his oldest friends siding with a faction with a long history of exactly this type of bullshit. A sad ending to a title reign unfairly sidelined by COVID.

:byodame: EVIL (IWGP Champion) - Naito's loss was EVIL's gain though. Brining in Dick Togo and aligning with Bullet Club, EVIL turned his back on Los Ingobernables de Japon (to be fair, he said all the way through the New Japan Cup he intended to take the title from Naito) and cheated to win both the IWGP Heavyweight and IWGP Intercontinental Title. He then successfully defended both belts against former friend and current IWGP Junior Champion Hiromu Takahashi, cheating via Dick Togo once again to ruin the best change a Jr. Heavyweight Champion has ever had to earn all three of the top titles in the promotion.

:manning: Yuji Okabayashi (FORMER 2AW Openweight Champion) - Okabayashi was one of the beneficiaries of Japan's COVID lockdown, as 2AW got onto the poll and even won a month on the polls. One way of the other this run ends now though, as he lost his title.

Ayato Yoshida (2AW Openweight Champion) - Still young but clearly a face to watch, Yoshida defeated Okabayashi at the Launching Business 1st Anniversary in Chiba to become the 2AW Openweight Champion.

Yuka Sakazaki (PRINCESS of PRINCESS Champion) - For the first time in six months the sound of AYAYAYAYAYAY filled Korakuen Hall, and for the first time in six months Yuka returns to this poll. Yuka was able to see off the challenge of Yuki Aino with her new big move "the Chicken Bastard" and awaits the outcome of the Princess Cup to decide her next challenger.

:hmmwrong: None of the Above - There sure are a lot of options this month... but were any of them right? If you think the answer is no, or that all the champ options are wrong, you can vote None of the Above!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There are a TON of options this month, a nice change from previous months but I expect a lot of vote dilution to be likely. You only have 3 days to vote this time, now is a real good time to argue the case for YOUR favorite champion.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

get three diff women in a row and vote yuka. or i guess one of the others

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
vote for none of the above

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

nvm my last post. vote yoshiko or none of the above.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cavauro posted:

get three diff women in a row and vote yuka. or i guess one of the others

I voted for Bayley because she's absolutely ruled these last couple of months and is one of the few people in WWE whose character, actions and storylines have been unironically great.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I’m gonna vote for someone

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Shida and EVIL are fighting for my heart. Both have exceedingly pretty hair.

Shida wins. Sword beats scythe.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I wanted to vote Yoshiko, but realistically it's EVIL (because everything is) (and because he dominated discussion this month and had two MOTYCs)

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I think I've gotta vote for Sasha, she's been absolutely crushing it both in-ring and out-of-ring for just as long as Bayley, and her matches this month were better in aggregate than the other competition I'd consider voting for. Sorry Shida and Evil.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Off the bat I'm thinking Suwama or Yoshida but I will hold off voting until I watch the Beyond the SEA Single Championship match

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Voting for Yuka because she did this

https://mobile.twitter.com/ThatDamn_Chris/status/1287165686066929664

The Chicken Bastard.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

In the end I had to vote for Yoshiko because holy crap that match with Nakajima slaps extremely hard. Literally & figuratively.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

voting for violent giant SUWAMA because i think this month through september is the last time i get to vote for him :(

Lid posted:

Voting for Yuka because she did this

https://mobile.twitter.com/ThatDamn_Chris/status/1287165686066929664

The Chicken Bastard.

the lil slide on the impact lmao

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

If Yoshiko wins this and I voted for EVIL then I have to tear up my SEAdLINNNG fan club membership

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
voted for EVIL because i like his emoticon

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Voted for Naito. And I don't have to explain myself or my reasons to you.

None of you are my real dad!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Going with Moxley just because the Cage match had my favorite finish of the entire month

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

drat, right now it is super close and multiple wrestlers are a vote or 2 away from 1st place. You have a little over 2 days left to vote!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Shida because she has been the most consistently entertaining wrestler in the world to me for the past while

Franchise player

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I hope we get a tie between EVIL and Yuka because that Daniels/Io picture makes me laugh every time I see it and I think those two would be an even funnier pairing.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I hope we get a tie between EVIL and Yuka because that Daniels/Io picture makes me laugh every time I see it and I think those two would be an even funnier pairing.

Imagine, Evil/Yuka/Shida/Mox all squeezed into a single square.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Please vote for literally anyone other than human piece of garbage Yoshiko, a woman who once got in the ring with another woman and DELIBERATELY ended her wrestling career with shoot punches to the orbital socket. The fact that she's even got six votes is an embarassment. She shouldn't be permitted in any ring anywhere, and she shouldn't be permitted on this poll.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i would like to retract my previous overriding post, citing woeful levels of knowledge and a focus on wrestling matches. i have not voted yet which means i am still capable of being a good person

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
None of the Above only needs 8 votes to win this thing

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

Please vote for literally anyone other than human piece of garbage Yoshiko, a woman who once got in the ring with another woman and DELIBERATELY ended her wrestling career with shoot punches to the orbital socket. The fact that she's even got six votes is an embarassment. She shouldn't be permitted in any ring anywhere, and she shouldn't be permitted on this poll.

She's an extremely good wrestler, she was in an extremely good (in fact an absolutely terrific) match. She was the best champion of July 2020 in my eyes.

Clearly she acted incredibly unprofessionally against ACT Yasukawa and seems like at least at the time she was an unpleasant bully but :shrug: You don't have to like her or even watch her matches but she's an extremely talented wrestler & she's the champion of a major Joshi promotion so she is on the poll for a reason. It's not FIGHT ISLAND's Nicest Pro-Wrestling Champion of the month

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

I'm not going to get into this argument again. I will defer to the knowledge of the person who clearly knows better than Emi Sakura, Tsukasa Fujimoto, Chigusa Nagayo and Mayumi Ozaki over who should be allowed in a wrestling ring.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

forkboy84 posted:

She's an extremely good wrestler, she was in an extremely good (in fact an absolutely terrific) match. She was the best champion of July 2020 in my eyes.

Clearly she acted incredibly unprofessionally against ACT Yasukawa and seems like at least at the time she was an unpleasant bully but :shrug: You don't have to like her or even watch her matches but she's an extremely talented wrestler & she's the champion of a major Joshi promotion so she is on the poll for a reason. It's not FIGHT ISLAND's Nicest Pro-Wrestling Champion of the month

K. I'll remember that the next time she decides its time to just physically ruin someone and end their career. At least she's a good wrestler. Maybe we can get out a scale and determine how many less-good wrestlers she's allowed to take out of the industry through permanent medical damage before they add up to more net talent than her! That seems reasonable.

A wrestler taking liberties with another wrestler is unprofessional. A wrestler who ends another wrestlers career with those liberties shouldn't have a career, and in fact should probably be in prison.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

forkboy84 posted:

I was keeping out of this despite my repulsion but this I have to address.

We would never in a million loving years put this in place if yoshiko was a man. It wasn't "unprofessional" in a things broke down, it wasn't even unprofessional in a Tessa Blanchard starting fights in the ring, it wasn't even unprofessional in Antonio Inoki v Great Antonio in one person just no selling and so the other gets pissed and goes on a violent rampage.

Yoshiko brutalised Act. Act had to retire from the injuries sustained in one match. No matter how "she's a good wrestler" is levied, especially when the comments about the great match she had was how brutal it was which when knowing who we're talking about is disgusting, there isn't a place in wrestling for abusers. Yoshiko can go join Joey Ryan for all we should care.

Put her on the poll, it's why I wasn't posting "she should be removed" no more than posting Tessa should've been removed despite being a racist bully, but that this is treated as in "oh we should judge Yoshiko as the champion of the month lets not include the poo poo shes pulled" when she should be blackballed is asinine.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I'm not going to get into this argument again. I will defer to the knowledge of the person who clearly knows better than Emi Sakura, Tsukasa Fujimoto, Chigusa Nagayo and Mayumi Ozaki over who should be allowed in a wrestling ring.

blah blah loving blah we don't care we aren't Japanese cultural upholders here and we are allowed to pass judgment based not on cultural relativism

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I don't want a 50 post shitstorm in the champ of the month poll so I'm going to pre-emptively make it clear I won't be responding to any further arguments on this issue. I've said my piece, and I hope people will agree with me.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Act did not retire from the injuries sustained in the Yoshiko match. She already had cataracts from Graves Disease going into the match

Yoshiko didn't get into the ring to decide to end Act's career, she was a 21-year-old woman in an incredibly hosed up backstage environment in Stardom who got into a fight for reasons nobody in this thread knows. A fight that should have been stopped by countless people from Kyohei Wada, Rossy Ogawa to Nanae Takahashi. They had every opportunity to, and Yoshiko even backed off into her own corner after the first exchange of punches but the fight was allowed to continue. It was only Kyoko Kimura dragging Act out of the ring that stopped things.

Since coming back Yoshiko has wrestled for five years without any incidents and has been trusted by the likes of Emi Sakura, Tsukasa Fujimoto and Chigusa Nagayo to wrestle their rookies and Emi in particular is very, very protective of her trainees, so I don't think Yoshiko is quite the uncontrollable monster people make her out tp be in the west.

I understand if people don't want to see Yoshiko or watch her matches, but comparing her to Joey Ryan, a serial rapist, because ot one fight is disgusting.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lid posted:

blah blah loving blah we don't care we aren't Japanese cultural upholders here and we are allowed to pass judgment based not on cultural relativism

This isn't about cultural relativism. It's about how those women actually know her and how you are someone on the other side of the world who think what she did is comparable to dozens of sexual assaults.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I could compare her to Chris Brown if you'd like.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

You'd still be wrong, but if you want to keep minimising rape and domestic abuse by comparing them to a fight then you do you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I'd be right, but between the two of us only one is being a minimiser of violence and it certainly isn't me (your incesant usage of referring to it as a "fight" is appauling).

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

You'd still be wrong, but if you want to keep minimising rape and domestic abuse by comparing them to a fight then you do you.

Pro wrestling is a work, pal.

Also it's real lovely to try to minimize violent assault by literally going "well there are worse people out there". By that logic we shouldn't care about Joey Ryan either because even worse people exist. Is that really where you wanna go?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm not the one who made the Joey Ryan comparison. That was Lid's comparison, and it's not minimising what Yoshiko did to say that we don't need to compare her to a serial rapist. What she did was hosed up but acting like a 21 year old in a heated situation who by all accounts has had a completely clean record since then to an unrepentant sex offender is disgusting.

Sorry for loving up your topic Jerusalem. I don't think this warrants further discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
with all this controversy, it seems like there can be no clear choice, making None of the Above the clear choice