Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

big "we wouldn't need processors faster than a pentium 3 if software developers weren't morons" energy itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

fresh_cheese posted:

you can take 2 paths when building systems that will serve as a platform for other stuff:

a) solve the hard problems in your system so the stuff that rides on top gets that for free

b) skip the hard problems and make your system simple and fast

if you go A then yeah its more work and its more complex and fiddly and breaky, but the people who build their stuff on top of your system dont have to solve that problem for themselves anymore.

if you go B then yeah, your life is easier and you can make your system more bulletproof and speedy and easy to implement, but that problem you decided not to solve is still going to be a problem for a portion of the people who might want to use your system to run their stuff.

both paths are equally valid, but one requires the users that choose your system to be much much more skilled than the other.

and i dunno about yall, but im dumb as all hell so as an end user i would pick the system that solves the hard problems for me.

the pro move is to take system a and ignore all the provided affordances in favor of reimplementing everything yourself like it's system b, then blame the system

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

fresh_cheese posted:

hello there kubernetes. how are you?

i was thinking of electron but that works too