Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Here's a kobe fact he lost to Perkins in the playoffs TWICE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I mean you all do this literally every week, I am immune to it by now.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

why are people talking so much poo poo about a Bulls rookie?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Be nice to Coby, he hasn't hurt anyone.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

That's helped somewhat by a small sample size (if they won I doubt he would have repeated the performance) but yeah. That was one of the best scoring performances by a player in a series of all time.

Yeah, Donovan Mitchell now has the highest total NP for a single playoff series with 71.48

The best and worst scoring from 1947-2019:

code:
 NP	Player		Season	Series
 64.04	Kevin Durant	2018-19	First Round
 57.12	LeBron James	2017-18	First Round
 56.8	K. Abdul-Jabbar	1976-77	Conf. Semifinals
 56.16	Kawhi Leonard	2016-17	First Round
 55.48	Larry Jones	1969-70	Div. Semifinals
 55.04	Julius Erving	1975-76	Finals
 52.64	K. Middleton	2017-18	First Round
 51.28	Kawhi Leonard	2018-19	Conf. Semifinals
 51	Charles Barkley	1985-86 Conf. Semifinals
 50.32	Kevin McHale	1987-88	Conf. Semifinals
 49.96	Kevin Durant	2016-17	Finals
 49	Larry Bird	1983-84	Conf. Semifinals
 48.48	Michael Jordan	1988-89	Conf. Semifinals

-32.92	Michael Finley	2000-01	Conf. Semifinals
-33.92	Jim Loscutoff	1956-57	Finals
-34.6	Norm Van Lier	1972-73	Conf. Semifinals
-36.92	Wali Jones	1967-68	Div. Finals
-37.24	Patrick Ewing	1993-94	Finals
-39.52	W. Sauldsberry	1959-60	Div. Finals
-40.16	W. Sauldsberry	1960-61	Finals
-41.12	Bob Cousy	1959-60	Finals
-41.52	John Havlicek	1964-65	Div. Finals
-44.32	Bob Cousy	1959-60	Div. Finals

Jamal Murray used up too much of his Gummiberry Juice™ in round one of the playoffs.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Dexo posted:

Be nice to Coby, he hasn't hurt anyone.

He looks sad all the time and I want to hug him

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

chilihead posted:

Is Danny Green ever going to do anything? People already forget it was a huge thing which LA team he was going to join to win a third title.

It appears he's been junky in the playoffs for many years now.

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

Which 2 guards from history would do as well or better than Kobe in his situation/career?

Jordan, (of course), Clyde?, Dwyane?, Gervin?, Iverson? hmmmmmm

Reginald Miller and Oscar Robertson.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Kobe fandom is like a cult. They love him BECAUSE he was a giant prick and terrible teammate, I don't understand it.

It's just like any other cult. Many are drawn to bravado and pompousness.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I am feeling good about my prediction that the Celtics will lose the ECF with a double digit lead in point differential.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

The fact is Lebron is generally a pretty well-adjusted, reasonable guy so that "INTERNAL FIRE, KILLER MENTALITY" thing just doesn't fit as well.

I'd like to see LBJ vs. LBJ with a MJJ brain transplant and Shaq vs. Shaq with a MJJ brain transplant.

Dutchy posted:

you can't tell a Kobe diehard that he's worse than Shaq or Duncan. put him behind Pau, if only for two seasons, and they might literally kill you

When dealing with a cult intervention/extraction one must tread carefully. Start by planting a few seeds of doubt.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ammanas posted:

i know theyre not popular but i like mike breen & the two idiots. breen is great, jackson is this massive pompous windbag and jvg is this giant whiny baby. its great

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Z0_2K6a6w

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

He looks sad all the time and I want to hug him

https://twitter.com/chicagobulls/status/1308903977615085574

Look at my happy boy now that he doesn't have to deal with Boylen.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Mike Breen is one of the best PBP guys, pleasant voice and a good-but-not-overused hook (BANG)

JVG is actually willing to talk xs-and-os on the broadcast, how defenses are playing different zones, and as a total nerd but one that's bad at being perceptive during games it's really enjoyable. His podcast-esque rants vary wildly in quality from being really entertaining to being incredibly boring and repetitive like every loving time there's a foul being reviewed he goes on the exact same rant

Mark Jackson loving sucks

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Coby will get buckets for Billy

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

coby looked like a pretty good bucket-getter before the season got cancelled

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

coby looked like a pretty good bucket-getter before the season got cancelled

https://twitter.com/chicagobulls/status/1309642271105703936

Seriously look at this.

If Boylen was still coach they'd be running wind sprints or something.

Instead eating fries and playing video games. Like God intended

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao how is luke kornet still on the bulls

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

Seaon hasn't rolled over yet

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

Billy sees shooting ability he can't not roster it

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

kornet is frustrating because he looks like Tall Hinrich but plays like a car dealer inflatable, get this man some compression sleeves and teach him to elbow people.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
kornle singler

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm surprised no one posted this article when it was fresh 4 months ago: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...to-coronavirus/

It's really long, but covers all the details on expansion you could imagine. It looks like we are currently in the state where expansion is the most possible it has ever been and could be a way to inject money into the league and owners that has been lost due to virus, ratings and China, and they think they could get 2 billion worth of expansion fees which would tide them over until the next TV deal.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/rick_bonnell/status/1309585403561807881?s=21

Monk is going to be real good for whichever team gets him next, and it makes me sad because this one doesn’t even seem like the team’s fault

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Rick posted:

I'm surprised no one posted this article when it was fresh 4 months ago: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...to-coronavirus/

It's really long, but covers all the details on expansion you could imagine. It looks like we are currently in the state where expansion is the most possible it has ever been and could be a way to inject money into the league and owners that has been lost due to virus, ratings and China, and they think they could get 2 billion worth of expansion fees which would tide them over until the next TV deal.

this was a good read

i think they’d opt for vegas and seattle as much as they really, really want mexico city and kick over memphis and minnesota to the east

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
C'mooooooooon, Honolulu! Make it happen, real world.

.....for real though, Seattle seems like a no-brainer for a ton of reasons people have stated many, many times. If they're looking for places with Arenas already built, then I think articles I have read about it are consistently undervaluing Montreal. I usually see it get lumped in with teams in smaller markets (which is wrong, it's enormous) or with cities that are dismissed for not having arenas (which is wrong, they do have one that's NBA ready) or for not having local interest (which is.... also wrong. There's been local billionaires drumming up interest in the last two to three years.)

The only argument that makes sense against it is the "Players moving to Canada" or "The local language is French", which is ridiculous, because all of these articles seem to bring up Mexico City as a top destination, even though it has even worse logistics (since the league would have to structure around two non-US countries now), a worse potential language problem, being considerably more dangerous, and it also being like, a trillion miles away. Think of the travel problems that Minnesota has, and then multiply that.

Nevertheless, the only reason I consider it more likely than Vancouver is that I'm not sure the league would want to put two expansion teams in the same division.

As for Vegas, it's in an interesting position, where it could prove to be an excellent long-term investment, but the stated reason for expanding right now, the revenue loss from the Pandemic, is doubly true for the city----it's attractive as a destination largely because of tourism, either in the income it generates for locals, or in the "tourists might attend a game" sense. During this Pandemic, its greatest strength as a market is largely negated. They would have to ride it out for a while.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
London surely (plz plz plz)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

C'mooooooooon, Honolulu! Make it happen, real world.

.....for real though, Seattle seems like a no-brainer for a ton of reasons people have stated many, many times. If they're looking for places with Arenas already built, then I think articles I have read about it are consistently undervaluing Montreal. I usually see it get lumped in with teams in smaller markets (which is wrong, it's enormous) or with cities that are dismissed for not having arenas (which is wrong, they do have one that's NBA ready) or for not having local interest (which is.... also wrong. There's been local billionaires drumming up interest in the last two to three years.)

The only argument that makes sense against it is the "Players moving to Canada" or "The local language is French", which is ridiculous, because all of these articles seem to bring up Mexico City as a top destination, even though it has even worse logistics (since the league would have to structure around two non-US countries now), a worse potential language problem, being considerably more dangerous, and it also being like, a trillion miles away. Think of the travel problems that Minnesota has, and then multiply that.

Nevertheless, the only reason I consider it more likely than Vancouver is that I'm not sure the league would want to put two expansion teams in the same division.

As for Vegas, it's in an interesting position, where it could prove to be an excellent long-term investment, but the stated reason for expanding right now, the revenue loss from the Pandemic, is doubly true for the city----it's attractive as a destination largely because of tourism, either in the income it generates for locals, or in the "tourists might attend a game" sense. During this Pandemic, its greatest strength as a market is largely negated. They would have to ride it out for a while.

Have the Raptors generated enough interest outside of Ontario to justify a team in a place like Montreal? Just feels like a losing prospect for a sport with a season that runs parallel to hockey to expand there. I suppose you could’ve said the same about Toronto but that’s such a cultural melting pot of an area that an alternative option might’ve been more viable. And even then they might’ve gone the way of the Grizzlies if it weren’t for Vinsanity.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Quizzlefish posted:

London surely (plz plz plz)

I think if they were going to expand to europe they'd either have to make a 3rd conference or shorten the season cause the travel time would be very taxing

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Hoop on an aircraft carrier imo

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Kc and Vegas imo

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Send a team to Albuquerque

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Henchman of Santa posted:

Have the Raptors generated enough interest outside of Ontario to justify a team in a place like Montreal? Just feels like a losing prospect for a sport with a season that runs parallel to hockey to expand there. I suppose you could’ve said the same about Toronto but that’s such a cultural melting pot of an area that an alternative option might’ve been more viable. And even then they might’ve gone the way of the Grizzlies if it weren’t for Vinsanity.

I hope so the Quebecois are crazy about basketball. Last time I was up there, besides Canadiens sweaters, I saw like 2-3 bills/patriots jerseys and like non stop Raptors/Celtics/Knicks. Mostly Raptors tho. It's a fantastic city with die hard fans and they deserve something after they got screwed out of the Expos.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

it sucks Vancouver wasn't given more time because BC was/is a huge basketball hotbed even before the Raptors got good. I think Montreal could support a team pretty easily (both in terms of fans and major sponsorship $) but it doesn't seem as thirsty as the some of the American cities that get thrown around and they don't seem to really be pushing for it yet.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Make the Wizards the Bullets again, send them back to Baltimore, give Leonsis and DC and expansion team imo

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

sharknado slashfic posted:

Make the Wizards the Bullets again, send them back to Baltimore, give Leonsis and DC and expansion team imo

i don’t think the nba would cannibalize the dmv like that, especially for a media market that only does so-so numbers for basketball

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

i don’t think the nba would cannibalize the dmv like that, especially for a media market that only does so-so numbers for basketball

Baltimore doesn't have a functional arena either (unless they've done something with First Mariner I don't know about). If Under Armour was still a thing that anyone but suburban white dads cared about maybe they'd sponsor something.

I was being facetious anyway, I know they're not going to do that.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

BWV posted:

it sucks Vancouver wasn't given more time because BC was/is a huge basketball hotbed even before the Raptors got good. I think Montreal could support a team pretty easily (both in terms of fans and major sponsorship $) but it doesn't seem as thirsty as the some of the American cities that get thrown around and they don't seem to really be pushing for it yet.

Yeah they pulled out of Vancouver way too early. I guess they didn't predict it becoming the new Hollywood because that's a market right there. Montreal is obviously behind a bunch of American cities but I just think it'd be cool to develop the Ontario market more.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
Is there really that much appetite for basketball in Vancouver, even with the film industry and the tech expansion? I've lived here for four years and used to go out to bars to watch random games sometimes, and there never seemed to be that much interest. There doesn't appear to be much hooping going on at the community center in my neighborhood either. I do see a fair number of people rocking Raptors gear out walking around. It's possible I'm just not going to the right places to notice the basketball energy.

To me it's obvious that Seattle would get a team first, that's a no-brainer, and I agree there's no way they'd expand there and Vancouver in the same wave. I think they'd argue that a Seattle team would draw in Vancouver fans anyway, kind of like the Seahawks do for NFL football.

Otherwise Montreal seems like it would be really cool. I could see the language and culture being a draw, rather than a barrier, for Francophone players from all over. I'd bet that having a second Canadian team nearby would also help develop enthusiasm across eastern Canada more generally.

But I guess it'll be Seattle and either KC or Las Vegas first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/NBABubbleLife/status/1309646859812495361