Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
tj warren, all i really remember was his thing with jimmy butler, and him tearing up the cavs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
lmao at Chris Paul calling the commissioner to narc

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i already gave that little dipshit a year of life. he'd be a babe in the woods with out me

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
drat did draymond retire

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i totally forgot all about gary "shandling" trent going to OU. i remember seeing him on local news stuff

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
he looks like a protege of Prince

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

MourningView posted:

pretty sure everyone who covers the league does this to some extent and she definitely does it with every team. She was a sideline reporter forever in addition to doing color, she talks to those guys all the time, it's not that weird that she is on a first name basis with them.

Doris is kind of robotic at times but she knows the league and basketball really well and is still the best person nationally at actually talking about the game in front of them instead of trying to do some weird old man stand up routine, and you can tell she actually likes the product which is somehow a rarity among people paid to talk about it. These are the best athletes in the world doing insane athletic things, you should sound impressed with them! She's also dealing with the pressure of being the only woman doing what she does, which is something no one else covering the league has to deal with.

Plus, she's doing all that with a 2-bottle-of-wine-breakfast type monkey on her back.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
ive like 4 pages to read but just saying i remember danny "yavimaya" granger

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
tobias shouldve stayed underrated on a noncontender and assembled a strong, if un flashy statistical career

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i mean obv get the bag, you know what i mean. legacy wise

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
thinking about kobe, who is going to be the first to score 80 again? and how much are you willing to bet on it

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Zogo posted:

Damian Lillard. I would bet one Quintillion American dollars.

thank you for answering my question, zogo bot!

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i love chuck and begrudgingly, shaq and no one can take them away

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Let Luguentz open the Dort
To your heart

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
TW mean words ahead

imagine sacrificing all competitive honor and being a little rules lawyering, dick grabbing, crying bitch and still losing every time you get a shot. the thunder suck, oklahoma sucks, and most of all chris paul sucks

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
lol what???

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Katana_Warrior posted:

it's really easy to blame Bud for telling the defence to keep going under on Duncan Robinson after he's gotten like 25 clean shots in 3 games, but trying to get a team to change their defensive scheme after rigidly doing it one way to good success all season is a recipe for disaster. Not every team has a roster full of big brained defenders like toronto or boston. THat said, Bud should eb fired and Giannis should ditch those bums, join a real team dude

ready to welcome Giannis to recent NBA champions, The Cleveland Cavaliers! Milwaukee is the Cleveland of Wisconsin anyway

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

DeimosRising posted:

These Giannis Bucks are just the 2000s Lebron Cavs. Great construction around a transcendent star but Middleton and Lopez aren’t any better than Mo Williams and Anderson Varejao.

I can't believe you've said this!

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Rick posted:

I am not sure what Giannis getting injured today proves but I feel like it’s something.

that he's not above faking an injury to get extra rest :tinfoil:

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

R.D. Mangles posted:

weird for them to do that when giannis is going to the bulls (it's a done deal)

working "giannis" into my "da bulls" routine

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Metapod posted:

Everyone wants to talk about russ's bad performance but where the gently caress was Jeff green

writhing on the floor, clutching his ruined nutsack

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i might be very tired but i am imaging a flavor flav version of Jim Boylen where he says Boy-leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen and punches the clock hanging around his neck

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
glad to hear his nose isn't broken, that was my immediate assumption. actually I thought he lost his front teeth til the replay

Intruder posted:

Reminder that Deadspin underwent a corporate takeover and all the good writers are gone

In playoff news, somehow RoCo is expected to play in game 4

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1303684145059635201

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i dont see the big deal. i aint hosed in a dogs age. and i feel perfectly murder everyone

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
scatter them all to the wind. harden, cp3, westbrook, dame, giannis all to new teams. idgaf about contrax. chaos reigns

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
all togs should be white, and only the color of the writing should change. no logos.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Jokic should start in his own movies as himself

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

MourningView posted:

Jokic in the next John Wick, he kills John Wick five minutes in, John Wick movies are now about Jokic

I saw him beat 4 defenders with a stumble. a fuckin STUMBLE

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
russ is gonna ruin whatever teams he's on. I say release him into a regular corn maze, he'll be trapped for weeks and starve to death

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I'm grinning folks, Jokic won and the Clippers lost.

Joker Joker doo do doo doo do doo, oh honey honey

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

straight up brolic posted:

Well that sucked, you guys can talk poo poo to me about the Clippers if you’d like

Way ahead of ya

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Doc wasn’t wrong, clippers looked extremely gassed and lots of front rim type jump shots. Getting beat on rebounds and Second Chance balls. It’s just that that shouldn’t of happened, they should have been doing Jim Boylen style wind sprints

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Kawhi was getting his shots and getting to the rim like he always does, I feel like he buckled under the pressure of noone else showing up, whatsoever in that G7.

As far as bench fatigue, didn't Montrez have Covid? And Lou Williams is like 65. His Lou Magic Bullshit just wasn't working regardless, he blew some layups and bunnies

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Kibner posted:

Jokic also had the Covid.

pages ago kibby but we all know that virus died immediately upon encountering Jokic's tremendous cells

also thanks whoever clarified the montrez thing

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Shinjobi posted:

Rick Carlisle will always be welcome in my home. Always.

I'll always stan him and think he's the second best coach in the league, mostly because once he petulantly punted a ball. an industrious being could look thru my post history and find like 9 such declarations

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

The Maestro posted:

All the excuses about conditioning, chemistry, culture are mind blowing to me. 2/3 of those I would blame the head coach for (not chemistry). Just require better conditioning. Set a higher standard for the team culture.

(sandlot style slow mo mouth)Jiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim Booooooooooylllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeennnn

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
(random D thoughts I'd wanna know if I were just starting to get into NBA beyond casually)

A big part of considering your defensive strategy, especially when it comes to high level competition like the playoffs, is deciding what you are willing to live with. Pack the paint to discourage slashing and driving and open yourself up to a 3 point barrage. Double team a major scoring threat, and one of the other 4 guys might kill you (especially if you have one of the best passers in the league like Jokic as the target of these double teams). There's also trying hide a smaller, poor individual defender (like some Point Guards) vs. the offensive team trying to exploit that poor defender, usually orchestrated through a series of screens to get the "Switch" you want. (switching is literally switching defensive assignments when a screen is made rather than trying to go around or through it)

In general, great offense will trump great defense. Some dudes just make shots, even if you guard them essentially perfectly (short of trying to literally block every shot which will end with you fouling out, an exhausted fool). There's also the little problem of a passed ball moving faster than people do- a team with good ball movement can just annihilate you if you're not fluid and adaptive, and sometimes even if you are. Anticipation, knowing your rotations and responsibilities, commitment to the defensive philosophy, and being able to do lateral slides perfectly at 100 mph are your defensive weapons.

Brolander fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 17, 2020

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
lol hezonja

Brolander fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 18, 2020

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Cool, thanks. Opening packs is fun (I've played MTG since Alpha) but I can see sports card opening getting a bit old.

If anyone has any favorite 90s stars they'd like to see in card form I can check if I have them in any of these binders.

off the top of my head,

Olden Polynice
Elden Campbell
Alden Maxwell
Ilden Williams
Ulden Plop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
you got any topps gold