Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

people are still surprised that centers can make reads in transition in the ben simmons era?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The Ringer just talked about the Ewing theory applying to the Raptors. God that website sucks so bad

It's super clear that they didn't watch the team last year except for the playoffs because yeah, a fully healthy team is better than one where OG's appendix exploded, Kawhi had one leg, Kyle was wearing an oven mitt off the court because his hand was so busted, and Danny had the yips

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Lol, I love it

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Intruder posted:

So why exactly did the Suns salary dump TJ Warren?

Because they had a bunch of other forwards on their roster who they were more excited about. He also looked a lot worse on defense when he was in Phoenix, but that's probably more of a franchise issue

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

grayson allen doing a good job of shutting me up

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Adun posted:

The Grizz reuniting like half of Duke’s 2015 national championship team came out of nowhere.

I never noticed this before and it pisses me off a bit tbh

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

it'd be great if all players wore leg sleeves so that we don't have to watch their ligiments go everywhere under their skin like when oladipo bit it

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

a new study bible! posted:

Do people still watch Sportscenter?

it's great when you're unemployed and need a break from the job hunt

e: great isn't the right word

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Spacebump posted:

I have a question that has come up before specifically for Raptors fans. Which players do y’all think the franchise should retire jerseys of?

Lowry, then DeMar. Love Bosh, but he didn't really do enough here. Vince probably would have had a chance if we never won a championship, but it won't happen now. Kawhi just wasn't here long enough.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Ghost Dog posted:

trash rear end Demar being remembered at all will be a feat. short rudy gay

true, i wouldn't mind if lowry is the only one retired as is

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Ghost Dog posted:

i do love the idea of a franchise with like six total months of good history lifetime tut tutting vince about just not earning it and being a winner enough to be in their ring of honor lmao

dude he played here 5.5 seasons, should we retire Mo Pete and Mighty Mouse's jerseys too? foh

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Ghost Dog posted:

idk how listing lovely players is an argument against putting great ones in. the cavs cannot retire lebrons jersey while eric snow languishes.

altho to be fair the lakers do this good lovely balance, like how they have shaq up there but also kareem

espn really did some work on people's brains during the VC retirement tour. Great player, sure, but what seperates him from Demar other than a 3 ball, cute face, and complete lack of loyalty? If there's a way we can just retire his dunk contest performance, that'd be for the best

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Plus Eric Moreland already won a ring with us while wearing #15, so unfortuantely is just cannot be done

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Ghost Dog posted:

he owns the greatest ingame dunk of all time and he is infinitely more famous and memorable than demar could ever hope to be

that dunk was a team usa dunk and kyle kuzma is more famous and memorable than demar

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

verbal enema posted:

minus the alternate reality of LeBron slamming it down on Draymond in the 2016 Finals the greatest Finals of all time

the finals so nice i watched it twice during quarantine.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

isn’t bosh your all time leading scorer

e: looked it up, he’s #2

I put together a list of the #2 and #3 scoring leaders for the post-ABA franchises sans Miami, because I wanted to see how Bosh stacks up to other guys in some kind of context.

Pelicans
David West, 8 seasons, not retired
Chris Paul, 6 seasons

Grizz
Marc Gasol, 11 seasons
Zach Randolph, 8 seasons

Raptors
Chris Bosh, 7 seasons, not retired
Kyle Lowry, 8 seasons

Mavs
Rolando Blackman, 11 seasons, jersey retired
Mark Aguirre, 8 seasons, not retired

Timberwolves
Andrew Wiggins, 6 seasons
KAT, 5 seasons

Orlando
Nick Anderson, 10 seasons, not retired
Vucevic, 8 seasons

Hornets
Dell Curry, 10 seasons, not retired
Gerald Wallace, 7 seasons, not retired

Out of the active players, the only guaranteed guys I see getting their jerseys retired are Marc+Zach (because Grit and Grind was way more than just basketball) and Kyle, too early to talk about KAT yet. Mark Aguirre is a really good parallel to Bosh here, he put up numbers for a bunch of years in Dallas before he got traded to Detroit and won a couple rings. If Dallas isn't thirsty enough to retire his jersey, Toronto shouldn't feel pressured to retire Bosh's. However, Minnesota should absolutely retire Wiggins' 22.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Vinestalk posted:

To be fair, couldn't you say Vince Carter was more than just a ROY, All Star, and Dunk contest winner? The guy made an atrocious Toronto team enjoyable to watch, took them to their first playoffs, and inspired Canadian kids to actually play basketball. Could Antwan Jamison have done the same thing? Would the Raptors have stayed in Canada if they didn't have that amazing surge?

Sure, people can say what they want. I also think it's reasonable for a franchise to not want to retire the jersey of a player who was as toxic in their last year as Vince was.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

probably meant 1998

NickRoweFillea posted:

They’ve already said they’re retiring Tony Allen’s, Zbo’s, and Marc’s, and it’s a 100% guarantee that they will hang 11 once mike retires

do you think they'll do 4 different ceremonies, or 1 big one?

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

not gonna lie, every lebron quote feels different after the last dance aired :(

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

I went back and looked at some pre-season projections and most outlets really had the Lakers as a 4-5th seed lol, my bad King

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

morestuff posted:

They also went 37-45 last year. Davis is obviously great but it doesn't seem weird that people didn't think + AD - a bench + Vogel = a 26-win improvement

I think people didn't account for Vogel making it past the all-star break with the Kidd hiring and all that

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/KDTrey5/status/562692266901635072

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

I didn't write down my standing predictions, but I do remember being down on the Lakers for only having Rondo at pg and thinking Middleton, Tatum, Kemba, and Jaylen Brown were all bums after their international showing. I was also higher on the grizz than most people I know, but it was because they drafted a Canadian and I was positive that JJJ was on his way to the hall of fame as opposed to why they were actually pretty good.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

NOOOOOOO gently caress this!!!!

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

He seems very Stockton tier

the Bad Man in the Minivan

I'd have CP3 right up there after magic and stockton

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

He's not saying that at all. He's saying Zion has regressed athletically and in health and is could be a timebomb

Imagine passing on a future all-nba guy like Ja for Tractor Taylor 2.0

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Nate Duncan was going all in on a conspiracy re: Zion, lawsuits, and his leave from the bubble on Duncd On this morning and Danny Leroux was so uncomfortable lol it owned

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

thumper57 posted:

So... Anyone else think Raptors horrible play was due to departure of fairy godmother Pat McCaw turning everyone into pumpkins?

I think both teams must have been confused and thought it was a Boston home game

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

straight up brolic posted:

Brandon Clarke not on ROY shortlist is comedic

that first week of the season has carried Nunn all year

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Intruder posted:

All aboard the hype train

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Metapod posted:

naruto runs to the computer

Lamien Dillard

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

look i’m just gonna say it luka’s the latest (and actually greatest) great white hope which would mean something if the nba hadn’t spent the last four years branding itself as the wokest, hippest, blackity blackest league of all four major sports

there’s no conspiracy to push him by the nba, he’s just that good, i think the nba would greatly prefer that it’s next all time great was trae young or zion or maybe a chinese person as an olive branch; perk is not allowed to say it’s because he’s white because that’s The Bad Kind of Controversy besides it being, you know, wrong

also for what it’s worth i’m pretty sure tgwh trope is dead and buried in basketball since all the culture warriors are mad that they would have to read jerseys that say black lives matter or whatever

there is no world where the NBA would want to be in a position where their biggest up-and-coming star they're marketing is someone whose hair is as hosed up as Trae's is

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Draymond's closest career comp on basketball reference is Gordon Hayward, which makes sense when you consider the hidden "hated by teammates" and "voted as an all-star under suspicious circumstances" stats

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

ChickenMedium posted:

I thought that beef all started when Butler hosed KAT's girlfriend

yeah, but the rest of the team was still cool with jimmy. could be why they're all gone now

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Cavauro posted:

why do people think it's awesome that kevin durant liked a large number of ig posts of some person's girlfriend. is it alpha? Are u alpha?

after years of acting like a slimy piece of poo poo to fit in with the rest of the warriors, KD has finally started to embrace his true self again, which is to say a horny twitter troll

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

BIZORT posted:

Not NBA but The Professor tore his achilles

i spent an awful long time trying to find out where andre miller was doing after retiring before i found out it was a different professor

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1292892849483153410

crisis averted

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

seems like a good evening to take a long walk instead of watching basketball all night for the 10th night in a row

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

man, both teams are already locked into their slots and the season's game count is already messed up for record purposes. Just give both teams .5 W/L and don't force people to run around on a wet floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

Is Anthony Davis the ugliest great player of all time? Like let’s say top 50, maybe even top 100 guys ever

Worse than Larry Bird and not nearly as ugly as him either