Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

WhyteRyce posted:

Corona apparently can turn you into a terrible basketball player. Looking at you Buddy Hield

Just be grateful for the survival of someone in a high-risk population

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/NBA/status/1290749449417961475

Cam Payne has RETURNED

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I'm brave enough to say it: Dame is cool and good

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Now I’m fondly remembering when the Bulls were still good and got Giannis mad enough to shoulder-check Mike Dunleavy Jr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWajqr55HFg

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
If I were the San Antonio Spurs and I wanted to get into the playoffs, I would simply win more games than the team currently seeded 10th in the Western Conference

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Jacked and juiced baby

Also lol at this coming immediately after the SBNation Bulls guy spent a week melting down about how the new GM hadn't fired Boylen yet

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

MourningView posted:

He has already done this and it will shock you to learn that he was not very good at it.

That was the most insane part of him getting a full NBA head coaching shot beyond his interim run. He only ever got had other head coaching job, it was at a Mountain West school, he had a mediocre run and it ended with a third of his team transferring out

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I don't know why anyone would be confident that Steph will be 100% after the very serious hand injury he suffered

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

WhyteRyce posted:

NO is going to be the most appealing spot for any head coach so they probably get to call their shot

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1294671609677193216

Really taking advantage of being a coaching hot spot

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsHQ/status/1295434913794134016?s=19

yeah mavs must be pissed at themselves

everyone knew MAGA Porter was good at basketball, he was universially a top 3 pick before the college season started, he dropped because he had multiple back surgeries before he was old enough to drink. can we please stop the no one believed in him thing?

(also he got benched at the end of the game because Utah was hunting him in pick and rolls every single time down the court)

To be fair I remember a bunch of draft blogger types going "His HS tape isn't even that good" which had me really soured on the idea of the Bulls drafting him at 7.

That being said, as a Mizzou fan and a Bulls fan, I still feel pretty good about never getting emotionally attached to MPJ so I don't have to navigate my feelings about a Basketball Dipshit

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Doris is very comfortably the best national color announcer

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Dexo posted:

loving lmao.

I like Lebron a ton, probably more than I should as a Bulls fan.

But holy poo poo this is a take

https://twitter.com/joevardon/status/1296108487878021121

I love this, more hot takes should be convoluted defenses of athletes instead of pointless anger

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Doltos posted:

Big lmao if you think every nba draft lottery isn't massively rigged to increase profits to smaller market teams since large market teams will be watched regardless of who lands there

Now this is a conspiracy theory I can get behind

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
"A guard like Ben Simmons" is a fun theoretical exercise I guess but there's really no way of knowing for sure how a star PF in a guard's body would actually fare in the modern NBA

If only Barkley came into the league a few decades later

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Metapod posted:

If you think about it russ is thin chuck

Wow

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It's funny how all Philly's big moves not only turned out to be whiffs, but got increasingly less justifiable.

First they tried to consolidate assets for Fultz, who they thought would be a good long-term fit next to Embiid/Simmons. Then they traded for Butler, who was an iffy fit but was a legit star, so on talent alone it's understandable. Then somehow they got to the point where they were letting Butler walk without making a max offer but giving $300 million to Tobias Harris and Al Horford and it's just completely inscrutable what the goal is

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

a new study bible! posted:

I'm going to will a Zach Lavine to the sixers scenario into existence. I've been practicing my visualizations. My power is boundless.

I too am willing a LaVine for Simmons trade into reality

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Presumptive #1 pick Anthony Edwards, asked for his main takeaway from his college season: "I got used to having bad games. I felt like I had a lot of bad games"

Bad draft!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Hope your prediction skills hold up

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

euphronius posted:

I’m going to miss Brett brown . He seems like a good person

He had a funny voice, which is one of the most valuable skills an NBA coach can have

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I thought chucking was when you talk authoritatively about who's going to win the NCAA tournament after watching 0 regular season games

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Hell yeah

Also if I'm on the Magic I'm probably thinking "Ah man could you guys have given us a heads up so we don't look like the assholes who wanted to play"

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Almost certainly wishful thinking that the NBA kicks off something that snowballs into a legit general strike, but it's a fun thought to have at least

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

euphronius posted:

Voting is like voting for all stars

Even if you succeed in getting "your guy" elected, you are powerless to stop the entrenched elite from appointing worthless candidates like Khris Middleton to fill essential roles

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

kingcobweb posted:

I don’t trust that Shams report. The Bucks were the first team to strike and now they’re immediately voting to resume the season? Doesn’t feel right

I wouldn't be surprised if

1) Some Bucks players were on board for a short-term strike without necessarily supporting ending the season altogether
2) Some players were encouraged by the attention/positive momentum from today and wanted to see if they could parlay that into something meaningful without walking away from the bubble

I'm also curious whether the Clippers/Lakers vote means they're definitely out, or if the players were just going team-by-team to see who wanted to play and who wanted to strike for good. Part of me would still be pretty surprised if the LA teams just walked away independent of the rest of the league

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

AggressivelyStupid posted:

saying a strike is illegal is a stretch

Wildcat strikes under a CBA that prohibits striking are basically either successful or illegal

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Yeah this feels spot-on

I fully support the players walking away but in the event that this isn't a prolonged strike, I hope people don't treat them like sellouts for considering the real long-term ramifications this could have on their labor agreement

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Also Kenny Stills seems insanely cool and I hope NBA players follow this lead

https://twitter.com/KSTiLLS/status/1298817147175567360

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Thank you to the refs for providing much-needed comedic relief during a very serious night

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
No 🧢 but it's time for America to seriously consider exploring a universal basic income

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah, anyone who looks at this and goes "Ugh what a disappointment!" is doing a complete disservice to the players who showed they had the power to bring a multibillion-dollar league to a halt on a whim by taking a collective action that is explicitly not authorized.

Also do not get mad at black players for not giving up their livelihoods to draw attention to injustice against black people

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Declan MacManus posted:

what i was enthusiastic about was the possibility of a very public instance of labor winning over capital as a model for other worker movements to build off of, and i think it’s okay if i’m a little disappointed that as of right now it looks like nothing of significance will come of this beyond some owner promises to do better AND the owners will be more prepared in the event of a future wildcat strike

i don’t blame nba players for not wanting to put their livelihoods on the line, but when it looked like they were going to, i thought it was very brave and cool

Yeah I should have said I get being disappointed that the outcome wasn't better, but I don't think it's fair to be disappointed in the players.

This all started because one team sat one game out and snowballed from there; I don't think the onus is on the players to engage in a full-fledged wildcat strike and end their season. I'm hopeful this experience will help them feel more comfortable and be better prepared the next time they believe collective action is warranted

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

kingcobweb posted:

No, the players have demonstrated their power. One team sitting out one game can stop the entire NBA, WNBA, and half (?) of the MLB.

Yeah, I think it's important to keep in mind that this wasn't a formally organized strike. This was one team taking protest action for one game that the rest of the league — and players across sports — joined in solidarity.

If anything, it would have been nice if the players at least postured for more concessions before agreeing to continue the season, but I wasn't there for the players meeting so it's hard to know how things really went down.

The thing I keep coming back to is that it feels super gross to look at one of the few high-profile majority black labor forces and ask "Why aren't you doing more to stop state violence against black Americans?" when basically every other sports league and entertainment entity is going to get by scot-free while doing far less to fight for the cause.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

The past few games I have genuinely thought "Jamal Murray should just shoot it every single time the Nuggets have the ball" and I'm glad to see the stats back me up

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Problem with the Hornets design stuff is the font and (to a lesser extent) logo look like poo poo

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It kind of rules that Joel is an online Sixers fan Hinkie-era acolyte who hates the new front office, except he's also the team's best player

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
My understanding is that for the past couple of decades the Wizards have basically been "What if the Bulls didn't have a fanbase of loud Chicago oafs to complain about their dumbass management"

Except I guess instead of being too cheap to build more than a second round team, Leonsis decided to cap himself out with a second round team

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Chucking the ball at your teammates is still chucking

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Henchman of Santa posted:

He’s just making fun of his own ad

I mean it's a play on his own ad but also he is obviously watching his teammate who left in free agency do very well in the playoffs

Ghost Dog posted:

who does he think he is

I am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Lu
Lu guentz