Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
That nasty corn chips smell big dogs get when people don't wash them enough (i.e. most big dog owners)

You walk into a house, it's everywhere, you sit on the couch and the smell POOFS out at you from the cushions and you gag quietly. The dog comes up panting and the nasty scent roooollls towards you like a tsunami.

I know lots of people say they can tell when they enter a cat house bc of the piss smell. You can always tell a Big Dog house in the same vein. Just...musty dog rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
hey. hey

HEY

knock this stuff off all'a ya

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

gary oldmans diary posted:

hey. hey

HEY

knock this stuff off all'a ya

poo poo I used an apostrophe all wrong non-ironically. That's the first sign that the brain is not doing... that thing it does.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
from now on were just gonna say more than one doberman

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

StrangersInTheNight posted:

That nasty corn chips smell big dogs get when people don't wash them enough (i.e. most big dog owners)

You walk into a house, it's everywhere, you sit on the couch and the smell POOFS out at you from the cushions and you gag quietly. The dog comes up panting and the nasty scent roooollls towards you like a tsunami.

I know lots of people say they can tell when they enter a cat house bc of the piss smell. You can always tell a Big Dog house in the same vein. Just...musty dog rear end.

The problem with this is that on the one hand, your dogs feet smell like fritos.
On the other hand you and everything you've been within 12 feet of within 48 hours reeks of cat piss forever, constantly.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

It’s from their feet. The “fact” that dogs don’t sweat is actually untrue. They have sweat glands between their paw pads, which builds up and causes the frito odor. Easily remedied by washing their feet regularly or just taking trimmers to the fur that grows between the pads :science:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
This isn't dogs vs cats, they both smell like having a barn in your house

Ugh that frito smell gets literally INTO the furniture uggfhhhhhhh

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

This stuff right here?

Trim it. Get a wet washcloth and clean the toes out. Now you got a dog what feet don’t smell like greasy snacks. 5 minutes every other week.

(noted that this is my dog and I clearly haven’t been following my own advice but he doesn’t smell so :shrug:)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
He smells, your nose and brain just got used to it.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I knew doberman's were cropped but I didn't know it was to that extent. Like, those ears are mad floppy. Now I'm just sad.

Imagine wanting to gently caress up this good dog by cutting off its tail and whatever the gently caress they do to their ears.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

He smells, your nose and brain just got used to it.

No I just smelled them and they smell like old leather and cigars, like a grandpa.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

gary oldmans diary posted:

from now on were just gonna say more than one doberman

doberman+

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

No I just smelled them and they smell like old leather and cigars, like a grandpa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDMzzJo65ro

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
grandpas only smell nice if they are YOUR grandpa

same goes for dogs

e: and kids

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 3, 2020

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

yikes! posted:

doberman+
how are we going to differentiate this from upgraded dobermens?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Ah yes, Mr Doberman, from the Wilfordshire Dobermans, I presume?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
They're called Dobermann you oofbags, there are two n:'s.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Dobermany

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
dübermensch

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I don't understand ear cropping. Like, why is it done at all? It sounds barbaric.

grandpas only smell nice if they are YOUR grandpa

At the first frat party I went to, my first thought was "why does this place smell like Pop?" and then I realized that I literally never saw him without a Budweiser in his hand. Ah, memories. :unsmith:

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

YeahTubaMike posted:

I don't understand ear cropping. Like, why is it done at all? It sounds barbaric.

I had always thought it was so they hear better as guard dogs, but I later learned it's just for looks. Pretty dumb IMHO!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
people: stop chopping up your dog!!

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCi-FwKsBDg

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

I have never lived with a dog that wouldn't just sit on the "EAT" button with their mouth open.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mooey Cow posted:

Imagine wanting to gently caress up this good dog by cutting off its tail and whatever the gently caress they do to their ears.

Their ears break all the time and they get aural hematomas that sometimes need surgery to fix. The tail breaks, too, splashing blood far and wide.

YeahTubaMike posted:

It depends on the breed. In danes, it's because some of them still work and hunt. Since they were bred to gently caress up wild boar, and those boar have tusks, cropping keeps their ears up and out of the way of those tusks so they don't get shredded.

In dobermans it's in part because of security details, in part because they have pretty delicate ears that, like I said above, have a tendency to need medical support.

I don't crop or dock (docking is what they do to the tails).

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I was so paranoid about "cat smell" when I first got a cat that I would ask people straight up if they could smell cat when they visited my relatively small place. Nobody noticed it but we are hyper vigilant about cleaning. I vacuum daily, scoop litter twice daily, have litter near an area that can be aired out daily as well as closed off. I've got scenty candles, "clean air" plants, and brush my girl 2-3 times a week.

We don't have any "cat smell" as confirmed by trustworthy sources. On occasion she drops a big ol' poo poo and it smells like a raw fart though.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I find if anything cats tend to absorb the scent of the rooms they're in. Like if someone is cooking, the aroma will just seep into the cat so when you shove your face into it, it smells like food.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

We can all smell it my goon, just being polite about it. You are the cat stink person, own it

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I find if anything cats tend to absorb the scent of the rooms they're in. Like if someone is cooking, the aroma will just seep into the cat so when you shove your face into it, it smells like food.

Oh sure but you complain when the dog smells like Fritos :catbert:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Most pugs and bulldogs probably shouldn't ethically exist tbh. The breathing issues are a serious problem and they can easily die from over heating. It doesn't help that a lot of people let them get fat as gently caress making their breathing even more labored. They just make me sad sometimes. Even though they are usually very sweet and good dogs.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Oh sure but you complain when the dog smells like Fritos :catbert:

me neighbors had a really weird looking corgi and they'd insist we smell its feet because it smells like crackers and their youngest would toss its poo around the yard when it froze up in the winter time.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

oh this isn't e/n

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

It is if you want it to be

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Dixville posted:

Most pugs and bulldogs probably shouldn't ethically exist tbh. The breathing issues are a serious problem and they can easily die from over heating. It doesn't help that a lot of people let them get fat as gently caress making their breathing even more labored. They just make me sad sometimes. Even though they are usually very sweet and good dogs.

I seriously think that breeding pugs and bulldogs should be considered animal abuse. Bulldogs have been so hosed up that they have half the average lifespan that a dog of their size should.

If you know somebody who's thinking about getting a pug or a bulldog, tell them that they're an idiot.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Colonel Cancer posted:

We can all smell it my goon, just being polite about it. You are the cat stink person, own it

Yeah nah i don't really hang out with "polite" people. Mostly suburban Australians. They are very kind, but not polite.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Dixville posted:

a few years ago, people started crossing pugs with jack russell terriers to produce pugs that weren't horror shows of suffering. i wonder if that caught on or if everyone still wants a gremlin that can't breathe or keep its eyes in its sockets.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Plant MONSTER. posted:

me neighbors had a really weird looking corgi and they'd insist we smell its feet because it smells like crackers and their youngest would toss its poo around the yard when it froze up in the winter time.

Normally that’s a cue for the dog owner to pick up the poo regularly

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

One of my old roommates got an Australian Shepherd from a breeder. She was the cutest dog, but they cropped her tail :( Ostensibly, it's so it won't get caught in things or damaged when they're out herding sheep or whatever, but the vast majority of these dogs are going to be full-time housepets. The American Kennel Club is a force for evil though and perpetuates a lot of these bullshit aesthetics. They usually just end up making the dog uglier too.

There seem to be a lot of people around me that just casually breed their dogs. They're not actual breeders, they just do it for fun I guess. I had a coworker who kept trying to pimp out her dog, it was kind of weird. This is out in the country though, so maybe it's normal to them. But I can't think of any possible reason why I would want a dog that hasn't been spayed or neutered living in my house.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Normally that’s a cue for the dog owner to pick up the poo regularly

I made it sound like he was a toddler. We were both eleven at the time. I told him to stop throwing poo poo and he froze and got mad and said I had to leave cause I swore (in my mind throwing poop at people is a graver sin than swearing but I'm not sure how the mormon bible prioritises its sins)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Dixville posted:

I had heard some breeders are trying to fix that

Only registered members can see post attachments!