Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Here's my fun Killdozer story: years ago when I worked in a gallery in Colorado a young lady came in one day and I struck up a conversation with her, as was my job. Turns out she was from Granby, and I, being an ever-so-charming goon, immediately said "oh wow were you there for Killdozer?" Smooth, right? Really professional, young BFM.

If this were reddit this post would have delved into humblebragging about how this lady is now his wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sleeveless posted:

the dude was a landowner and a small business owner who was more well off than like 95% of the people in this country who was just furious at the thought that he might have to get a job and live in an apartment like the rest of the proles, the fact that his years of impotent sputtering into a tape recorder about how he was going to rain vengeance on the planet because people wouldn't let him dump his turds and pee into an open ditch culminated in the only death being his own is something to be thankful for but does not in any way lessen what a stupid and evil man he was
So basically Lowtax up until the death part, then?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Knormal posted:

So basically Lowtax up until the death part, then?

It's still early. After the sale is finalized he's going to attach empty Goldbelly boxes to his GTR and run over the servers.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Funky See Funky Do posted:

wth was Killdozer copyrighted??? T-t-t-that's the best possible movie title for any movie why wouldn't they??

E: and it's not on Australian netflix gently caress netflix

It's available on the bay of the pirates.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Caesar Saladin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvl_7_Up7zU

here's a video by a youtube city planner engineer nerd guy who goes into a lot of detail about how this guy was actually weird as gently caress and should have just sold his dumb little muffler shop

the video creator is also sa poster donoteat

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's too late Killdozer, I've found someone else. Mountain Park Concrete knows how to treat a woman.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Bronze Fonz posted:

It's available on the bay of the pirates.

He means the name 'Killdozer', which is the name of a Sturgeon story which was made into a movie.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Weka posted:

He means the name 'Killdozer', which is the name of a Sturgeon story which was made into a movie.

I was responding to the "not available on australian Netflix" part.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I watched it i was glad to find out the full killdozer story

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I would recoomend it to anyone who is a fan of, or wants to know more about, killdozer

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Was a bit disappointing to learn he wasn't actually a victim, local business owner hosed over by the man, lashing out.
And actually a fairly rich crazy who everyone had tried to work with.
Loses its shine a little.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
marvin "beef supreme" heemeyer

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Here's my fun Killdozer story: years ago when I worked in a gallery in Colorado a young lady came in one day and I struck up a conversation with her, as was my job. Turns out she was from Granby, and I, being an ever-so-charming goon, immediately said "oh wow were you there for Killdozer?" Smooth, right? Really professional, young BFM.

As it turned out yes, she was there for that event, and her family knew Marvin Heemeyer, and she was really profoundly sad that I had referred to him by that name, it was like I had kicked her dog or something. She talked to me for 20 incredibly awkward minutes about how sad his story really was, how she still felt really bad for him, that the town didn't deserve being known just for one mentally unstable person's drawn-out disastrous suicide and she was tired of people thinking it was funny or cool in any way because it wasn't. She left, deflated and sad, and I still to this day feel like a total prick for ruining her nice Saturday afternoon looking at paintings by being crass about a local tragedy. True story!

I feel like when you say that you're from Granby specifically then you know what you might be getting into.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

NorgLyle posted:

I enjoyed it. The dude was like a real life version of Dale Gribble from King of the Hill so it was fun to get to hear his deranged ranting on the tapes followed by the director cutting to the guy he was talking about who said "I... don't remember ever really having a conversation with Marvin."

I thought it that was weird because as soon as he started his rampage the cops knew exactly where he was going every time and got people out of the buildings.

Strange that no one really remembered having these negative conversations but the whole town understood who his targets were. Maybe I missed the explanation for that.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dear Watson posted:

I thought it that was weird because as soon as he started his rampage the cops knew exactly where he was going every time and got people out of the buildings.

Strange that no one really remembered having these negative conversations but the whole town understood who his targets were. Maybe I missed the explanation for that.

It's clear that it's an incredibly tedious task to have a conversation with him because he's completely paranoid. Any incidental event or mild inconvenience is perceived as part of an ongoing campaign of attacks on his right to exist as a self-made man. He makes up self-centered narratives for why anything is happening--everyone is out to get him at all times and he will go so far as to misrepresent interactions with people and assign motives to their behaviors that boil down to "they're out to get me at all costs." Most of the town aside from his snowmobile buddies end up on a literal enemies list and there'd be no doubt where you stood with this guy.

It's a small town, and small town society and politics are always at least a little ugly, but there's also a lot of weirdos involved too. From day one that it became an issue his neighbors were willing to pay him hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy out his loving shed in the middle of nowhere Colorado.

Anyway, the guy was completely insane. It was mere luck that the entire town wasn't obliterated when he attacked the propane tanks. Even setting aside the part where he nearly caves in a building on a bunch of schoolchildren, that's well beyond a case of righteous vengeance even right there.

Definitely a top-shelf welder though.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I’ve never truly lived a small town life. I’m glad.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Xaris posted:

this is pretty much all correct. in a way it's sort of the like anti-mcdonalds hot coffee lawsuit of internet heard-down-the-grapevine tale whose story blew up becoming a projection of an exculpatory narrative; whereas she was in the right and perceived wrong and hes in the wrong but perceived right because it makes for a funnier story.
She was 100% wrong and the counter-narrative that's taken hold is due to latterday copycats in other countries. In truth it it was a very complicated case and there were no easy answers

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Daikloktos posted:

She was 100% wrong and the counter-narrative that's taken hold is due to latterday copycats in other countries. In truth it it was a very complicated case and there were no easy answers

McDonalds was superheating its coffee to the point where it literally melted the cup

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
That would be exactly the narrative I'd try to get out there if I dreamed of McDonalds millions and didn't feel like searching for Ventnor Avenue, too

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You'd think think a worldwide chain with teams of million dollar lawyers might be able to prove that in court

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Do you guys really think the multimillion dollar fast food lawsuit industry is doe-eyed to how people engage with the most famous and perhaps only case in their field people that will ever talk about or think of? Next you're going to tell me you think the altright thought to smear soybeans all on their own

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You'd think think a worldwide chain with teams of million dollar lawyers might be able to prove that in court
Considering the whole point of court, to me, is about how hard it is to prove things and letting people slide if exacting standards can't be met I'd actually think the opposite

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the coffee was so hot it fused her labia together

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Kind of wonderous how despite many archetypes of people jumping to sue at the drop of a hat, with many of them following through, her case ended up with national media attention and enduring cultural legacy. She looked down at her ruined and scalded lap to suggest that the coffee should not melt the cups and everyone fell in reverent silence, as though a Mexican child had suggested two kinds of taco for dinner.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Its because people found the concept of "lol she's suing because the coffee was too hot? Coffee's supposed to be hot!" amusing.

i don't understand your weird mexican child allegory, probably better suited for a case involving taco bell

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Caesar Saladin posted:

Its because people found the concept of "lol she's suing because the coffee was too hot? Coffee's supposed to be hot!" amusing.
And your conception is that nobody had thought to sue over coffee before? That article probably ran in every newspaper in America every other year

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Daikloktos posted:

Kind of wonderous how despite many archetypes of people jumping to sue at the drop of a hat, with many of them following through, her case ended up with national media attention and enduring cultural legacy. She looked down at her ruined and scalded lap to suggest that the coffee should not melt the cups and everyone fell in reverent silence, as though a Mexican child had suggested two kinds of taco for dinner.

Daikloktos posted:

Do you guys really think the multimillion dollar fast food lawsuit industry is doe-eyed to how people engage with the most famous and perhaps only case in their field people that will ever talk about or think of? Next you're going to tell me you think the altright thought to smear soybeans all on their own

I think you need to have this nice, cold, soy milk chai latte and calm down.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
They just kinda glossed over the part where some random redneck casually shows up with a fully loaded 50 cal in the back of his truck and loans it to a townie cop.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

They just kinda glossed over the part where some random redneck casually shows up with a fully loaded 50 cal in the back of his truck and loans it to a townie cop.

The kind of town where everyone collects a bunch of ridiculous guns because they're afraid someone else in town might be as crazy as they claim to be

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Daikloktos posted:

That would be exactly the narrative I'd try to get out there if I dreamed of McDonalds millions and didn't feel like searching for Ventnor Avenue, too

She suffered full thickness (fka "3rd degree) burns on her groin and genitals, and was disabled for years afterwards, and asked for $20,000 to cover her medical expenses.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The kind of town where everyone collects a bunch of ridiculous guns because they're afraid someone else in town might be as crazy as they claim to be

If small towns were less chuddy I would love to settle down in one and just soak up all the weirdness and petty drama

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

it fused her labia together into what i assume is called a labium

naem
May 29, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It's clear that it's an incredibly tedious task to have a conversation with him because he's completely paranoid. Any incidental event or mild inconvenience is perceived as part of an ongoing campaign of attacks on his right to exist as a self-made man. He makes up self-centered narratives for why anything is happening--everyone is out to get him at all times and he will go so far as to misrepresent interactions with people and assign motives to their behaviors that boil down to "they're out to get me at all costs." Most of the town aside from his snowmobile buddies end up on a literal enemies list and there'd be no doubt where you stood with this guy.

It's a small town, and small town society and politics are always at least a little ugly, but there's also a lot of weirdos involved too. From day one that it became an issue his neighbors were willing to pay him hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy out his loving shed in the middle of nowhere Colorado.

Anyway, the guy was completely insane. It was mere luck that the entire town wasn't obliterated when he attacked the propane tanks. Even setting aside the part where he nearly caves in a building on a bunch of schoolchildren, that's well beyond a case of righteous vengeance even right there.

Definitely a top-shelf welder though.

I don’t know this guys financial situation, but I know the personality type of the small town person who is mildly well off and then loses touch with reality pretty well.

like, somebody has just enough wealth that they don’t need to get out of bed and go somewhere to work for someone else ever again, and they quietly become a weirdo loner and forget how to interact with others.

like they don’t have “do whatever they want” money, they have “lie around in bed until noon and then go argue with local strangers over petty things they can’t control partly out of loneliness (without realizing that’s what it is) and when they don’t get their way it feels like their social needs aren’t being met so they blow situations up in their mind with themselves at the center” money

in this guys case it lead to killdozer

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

naem posted:

I don’t know this guys financial situation, but I know the personality type of the small town person who is mildly well off and then loses touch with reality pretty well.

like, somebody has just enough wealth that they don’t need to get out of bed and go somewhere to work for someone else ever again, and they quietly become a weirdo loner and forget how to interact with others.

like they don’t have “do whatever they want” money, they have “lie around in bed until noon and then go argue with local strangers over petty things they can’t control partly out of loneliness (without realizing that’s what it is) and when they don’t get their way it feels like their social needs aren’t being met so they blow situations up in their mind with themselves at the center” money

in this guys case it lead to killdozer

Most of the time they just end up on the school or county board.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

Frankly you could tell some of the boys were a little pleased that they had an excuse to break out the fun stuff (flashbangs! 50 cals! riding a bulldozer around like a bronco!) I wonder when the last time before this was that a cop in Granby had to fire a gun in the line of duty.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I bet goons could design a better killdozer I'd put a tropical fish tank in mine. What would yours have?

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER
lollin at the idea that owning land in bumfuck nowwhere puts you in the top 5% of US wealth when 65% of Americans own their own home.

Truly breathtaking logic from sleeveless on this ine.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER
Also, equating 'owning your own [failing] small business' with 'hating the proles' is just *smacks fingers against lips*.

naem
May 29, 2011

2 penny bottle imp posted:

Also, equating 'owning your own [failing] small business' with 'hating the proles' is just *smacks fingers against lips*.

one of the symptoms of the petite bourgeoisie is they start getting delusions of grandeur the second they don’t have to go into work 5 days a week to be able to pay for groceries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i didnt watch it all but the catholic thing comes out of nowhere and i dont think anyone mentions it??