Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ray borg is retiring

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEaP9lAj6ZE/?igshid=6codenm5jck9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kalib Starnes is an interesting case. In a vaccuum it was an embarrassing performance, but basically what happened is he injured himself in the first round such that he knew he was going to lose the fight and he decided that for his meager pay, which was something ridiculous like 2k/2k, he wasn't going to just let Nate Quarry give him brain damage.

Really it's another situation of "the corner should stop it" and it's a great example of how the corner culture in MMA is buggered. There should never be any kind of promotional penalty for a corner stoppage.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah but Dana White is a spiteful prick, so as long as he has any say in the matter, and no union to push back on him, there will be.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

CommonShore posted:

Kalib Starnes is an interesting case. In a vaccuum it was an embarrassing performance, but basically what happened is he injured himself in the first round such that he knew he was going to lose the fight and he decided that for his meager pay, which was something ridiculous like 2k/2k, he wasn't going to just let Nate Quarry give him brain damage.

Really it's another situation of "the corner should stop it" and it's a great example of how the corner culture in MMA is buggered. There should never be any kind of promotional penalty for a corner stoppage.

Didn't Kalib verbally quit between rounds on TUF because of a broken rib? If he was hurt, just saying "my poo poo's broke" and waving it off would have saved more potential injury and the humiliation of the worst performance maybe ever in the UFC, especially if he was just gonna lose anyway.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I'll always respect Makdessi's waving off his fight after Cowboy kicked his jaw in half. It was really calm and composed iirc, just 'oh, drat, well what are you gonna do I guess?"
Then he was posting vids with his jaw wired shut lol

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

CommonShore posted:

I thought he injured himself before the fight and didn't pull out because UFC yet didn't insure its fighters so if he pulled out he wouldn't get paid.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Fwiw I don't think Francis has been with Lopez since right after the Stipe fight, maybe Blaydes. He's full time in Vegas now.

eshock fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 28, 2020

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

double posted

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Fabled accidental triple post.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lone Goat posted:

I thought he injured himself before the fight and didn't pull out because UFC yet didn't insure its fighters so if he pulled out he wouldn't get paid.

I'd never heard that but it seems plausible to me.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Southpaugh posted:

Fabled accidental triple post.

The real Triple C

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Lone Goat posted:

The UFC needs a union.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Hollandia posted:

I'll always respect Makdessi's waving off his fight after Cowboy kicked his jaw in half. It was really calm and composed iirc, just 'oh, drat, well what are you gonna do I guess?"
Then he was posting vids with his jaw wired shut lol

Yeah I was super impressed with that. Hope he didn't get poo poo for living to fight another day

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD4q7rmjQHG/

Maybe not? Guess we'll see him withdraw from fights in ONE/Bellator

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Did Dennis Hallman ever fight again after securing his release from the UFC due to his wife leaving him and sharknado eating his house or whatever he had going on?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

chaleski posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD4q7rmjQHG/

Maybe not? Guess we'll see him withdraw from fights in ONE/Bellator

this absolute coward couldn't even spend a full day retired. "I guess it's time to break some silence" MFer you posted a retirement post less than 24 hours ago! what god drat silence. apparently he deleted his retirement post *3 hours* after he posted it! conor stayed retired longer! loving hell raymond.

anyway best of luck to borg in his future endeavors

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Bluedeanie posted:

Did Dennis Hallman ever fight again after securing his release from the UFC due to his wife leaving him and sharknado eating his house or whatever he had going on?

looks like after his release he did v badly

LobsterMobster fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 28, 2020

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

drat, ducked Joe Riggs and everything

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Bluedeanie posted:

drat, ducked Joe Riggs and everything

that, my friend, would have been a sight to behold, im sure

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

An unstoppable force (Hallman's nutsack) vs an immovable object (most of the soft tissue on Joe Riggs' face)

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Bluedeanie posted:

An unstoppable force (Hallman's nutsack)
That would have been an incredible thread title at one point in time, many moons ago.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The dude who is stepping in to fight Alex Caceres on two days notice missed weight by 5 pounds so they're taking 30% of his purse.
Seems harsh.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The dude who is stepping in to fight Alex Caceres on two days notice missed weight by 5 pounds so they're taking 30% of his purse.
Seems harsh.

20% for small miss 30% for big miss is pretty standard though, I'm pretty sure that's not even a UFC thing, it's a commission thing, he's basically almost in the next weight class.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Brut posted:

20% for small miss 30% for big miss is pretty standard though, I'm pretty sure that's not even a UFC thing, it's a commission thing, he's basically almost in the next weight class.

Yeah but two days notice, they couldn't negotiate a catchweight fight? Most people cut the most weight in the last 24-36 hours, so if his opponent's camp just went "hey we'll meet you in the middle" they could have stopped their weight cut as well. Caceres cuts a bunch of weight, you'd think he'd be happy to stop with the cut or negotiate a different weight

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Memento posted:

Yeah but two days notice, they couldn't negotiate a catchweight fight? Most people cut the most weight in the last 24-36 hours, so if his opponent's camp just went "hey we'll meet you in the middle" they could have stopped their weight cut as well. Caceres cuts a bunch of weight, you'd think he'd be happy to stop with the cut or negotiate a different weight

There's been a few cases of that recently where they did negotiate a catchweight in advance, Herbert Burns comes to mind, so presumably this is a case of the fighter's camp telling UFC that he can make the weight, instead of asking for the catchweight. Whether that's because they really thought he could make the weight, or because they were okay with getting a competitive advantage over Bruce Leeroy at the cost of 30%, we'll probably never truly know.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

70% of something is better than 100% of zero, I guess.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

JaySB posted:

70% of something is better than 100% of zero, I guess.

The other thing to consider is that the % is only taken out of your show money, so if you use your unfair advantage to win, you still get that full win money. You're probably much less likely to get a POTN bonus though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I thought people who missed weight were strictly excluded from winning bonuses

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

What are the rules as far as agreeing to catchweights? Is there a cutoff time frame for agreeing to it?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Memento posted:

Maybe? I might just be uninformed, though Dana can probably break his own rules if he wanted to. :shrug:

How does it work for FOTN?

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed
You are ineligible for official bonuses if you miss weight. What Dana does in the locker room is a different story.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

chaleski posted:

What are the rules as far as agreeing to catchweights? Is there a cutoff time frame for agreeing to it?

I think this might be one of the things where you could say "if we had real rules this would be a real sport"

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a6yeOpBeJc

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

I've not seen any UFC since 251 (masvidal usman). Gonna watch 252 tonight and catch up in general - any particularly good stuff not to miss? Any snooze fests on the 252 card to avoid?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Memento posted:

Win money in your contract is different than a performance bonus. Your contract is X to show and X to win. If you win after missing weight, you still get your X to win but will not get a FOTN or POTN bonus.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Lol that channel also has Ngannou - Rosenstruik and it's a shame, I have Jair 10-9 in the first ten seconds of the fight before he gets murdered to death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjnrjzMZhG8

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Stealth Tiger posted:

Lol that channel also has Ngannou - Rosenstruik and it's a shame, I have Jair 10-9 in the first ten seconds of the fight before he gets murdered to death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjnrjzMZhG8

drat that's crazy, he completely misses the first 3 punches, lands 1, and misses the next because his opponent is already unconscious. gently caress.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
https://www.ufc.com/news/statement-ankalaev-vs-cutelaba

Cutelaba tested positive for COVID-19 again, so their fight remains cursed. He'd already tested positive like two weeks ago. Seems crazy that they rebooked the fight within the same month, even if he were asymptomatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Brut posted:

drat that's crazy, he completely misses the first 3 punches, lands 1, and misses the next because his opponent is already unconscious. gently caress.

it's such a stark contrast to werdum throwing a goofy flying kick. ngannou fights like most dudes fight in their imagination, he's terrifying.