Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

moctopus posted:

Well it's certainly dumb, in my opinion, to be banned, but it is against the rules and they all know it.

And if you and your opponent are both restless sleepers and you're able to get better sleep leading up to a fight (perhaps with less side-effects/narcotic hangover) than you're opponent you can create an unfair advantage I suppose.

But there's tons of other sleep-aids so maybe I'm playing devil's advocate a little bit.

someone getting busted for weed always brings out the weirdos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
that elbow was the most bummed i've ever been by an amazing ko. other than maybe yoel/machida.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Southpaugh posted:

Yeah it was the most amazing ko I've hated.

last time he got embarrassingly knocked out he got 100 times better so i'm hoping the same happened here and he's the best fighter of all time now

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Brut posted:

Are you talking about Aldo or Roop?

roop. the aldo fight was like a great performance from a completely outgunned fighter. it's too bad he hosed up his shoulder but aldo immediately spotting it and kicking it full force like four times in a row was pretty amazing.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Rip woodley barring some sort of miracle he’s gonna hang out near the fence for 25 mins and get beat on

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Julio Cruz posted:

they really need to change it so the people with the power to stop the fight don't also have an incentive to keep it going just in case their fighter gets a miracle KO

I'm really getting sick of fighters saying they're done between rounds and the corners talking them into going back out and taking a whole load of unnecessary punishment

the person with the power to stop the fight is the ref. like that's their whole function. to stop the fight when someone shouldn't be fighting anymore and is not intelligently defending themselves. insert a clip here of aldo getting his brain stem hammered for two minutes by yan while leon roberts vaguely oscillates in the background. i think that's a much bigger problem. obviously there will be situations where someone is mentally checked out or the ref doesn't see something and the corner need to stop it. but if the refs were on the ball more the cornermen wouldn't be in a position to make (or not make) that choice.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Snowman_McK posted:

In one of the earlyish bellators, when they were doing tournaments, there was a stoppage on a choke that was in no way in and the guy was in no way out. I don't remember the names, but it was the top seed against the bottom seed, which made it especially dodgy.

i'm 99% sure this was ben askren in his very early bellator days. they did a rematch and askren beat him by decision the second time.

i think most early stoppages used to come off a knockdown or someone getting hurt and the other fighter would wildly flurry in the general direction of their head and the ref would stop in even though they weren't doing any damage. those stoppages don't tend to happen anymore.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
yeah i meant that askren won. iirc he had the other guy locked up in a weird guillotine where the guy couldn't really move and he told the ref he was unconscious. it was an incompetent stoppage but not a shady one imo.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Forceholy posted:

It's more than a month away, but who do you guys have for Adesanya VS Costa.

I think it will look like an alternate reality version of Silva vs Belfort, but with a new champion.

i got costa but i'm a big fan of his. it feels like it's gonna be a wild fight.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

nordichammer posted:

Stipe is heavyweight Bisping. Volume boxer with little variation in his comfortable combos, not much power, and okay wrestling. I think Jones can out strike and out wrestle him, especially if DC was giving him trouble standing up.

a heavyweight bisping would be hell for jones though. his worst range has always been boxing range.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

it's always funny when a fighter talks about a loss like one of their own stans arguing on youtube comments

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

lmao

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
how did edgar look vs munhoz?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

DoombatINC posted:

I had unreasonable hope in Phil Davis and I don't know where the hope came from or what maintained it, it was the old dirty flashlight that you think was in the apartment before you moved in but always somehow works without ever changing the batteries of MMA speculation

he was really promising a decade ago. wrestler with a weird body shape already seems to be the best base for mma, so i thought davis' triangular torso would make him unbeatable. he did a lot of cool poo poo in his first few fights.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
unfortunately, the rest of his career happened afterwards.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a6yeOpBeJc

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Brut posted:

drat that's crazy, he completely misses the first 3 punches, lands 1, and misses the next because his opponent is already unconscious. gently caress.

it's such a stark contrast to werdum throwing a goofy flying kick. ngannou fights like most dudes fight in their imagination, he's terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
it does make me wish ngannou was around for the freak show era of mma. ngannou vs. sapp. akebono. hong man choi. jose canseco. wanderlei when he was roided out of his mind. limitless possibilities.