Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The second fight was really goddamn close until those body shots. My theory is that Stipe absolutely did drill them and planned them, but purposefully didn't throw them early. He waited till DC was a little tired before he started throwing them, reasoning that it would be much harder for DC to adapt later in the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Has anyone rolled on stuff harder than weed? Wonder how that would be.

I rolled severely hungover and threw up. That's probably not what you're asking.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tchecky Karyo looks great for his age.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
having to pretend that Bethe was actually a threat to Ronda is one of the greatest feats the UFC's marketing team has ever pulled off. We also got resting Bethe face out of it. Truly, a generous fighter.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
angela magana's ability to live in thailand, apparently learning muay thai and come out of it without the slightest idea of how to throw a punch or kick is truly inspiring.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

chaleski posted:

Speaking of cuts, the guy who begged his coach to stop the fight got cut as well, which is kinda surprising. They usually give short notice guys at least one second chance, and he was doing well before he gassed out iirc.

wow, that sure will promote a healthy approach to stoppages from other fighters and coaches.

I remember getting in an argument with someone who thought it was really good that JDS's corner didn't stop either of the latter cain fights, because he can hold his head up and have honour. I would think that it was more important to be able to remember your kids names but i'm weird.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CarlCX posted:

Off the top of my head, recently:
  • Drew Dober getting straight-up screwed against Leandro Silva by way of the referee early-stopping a guillotine, which was so egregious it got one of the extremely rare commission overturnings
  • Darren Elkins/Antonio Carvalho, in which Carvalho got flashed by a hook but sprung back to his feet before he could even fully hit the ground and had the fight stopped as he was standing up (bonus: despite being on a 2-fight winning streak the UFC cut Carvalho after this)
  • Sabah Homasi/Abdul Razak Alhassan, where Herb Dean thought Homasi dropping for a single-leg was him getting knocked out by a punch that hadn't even landed, which was so egregious they did an instant rematch
The worst ever is probably still Sakuraba/Silveira from the old days.

In one of the earlyish bellators, when they were doing tournaments, there was a stoppage on a choke that was in no way in and the guy was in no way out. I don't remember the names, but it was the top seed against the bottom seed, which made it especially dodgy.
The interesting thing about these is that two of the three were rectified in some way. There is no rectification possible for someone eating a bajillion unnecessary punches. I'd always prefer refs to err on the side of caution.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lid posted:

Ngannou was also clowned by Stipe who Jones is better than in every area.

He's absolutely not a better boxer.

LobsterMobster posted:

yall forgetting when jon got really into power lifting during his uh, sabbatical, and looked extremely mediocre against ovince st preux? maybe "big strong jon" isn't actually a good idea

also, he got clipped a few times by a one-legged middleweight, i think all but the most pillow-fisted heavyweights would do damage to him

(extreme caveat: i'm dumb as heck)

A one legged middleweight who'd recently lost to david branch.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BlindSite posted:

I wish condit would just retire. Hes 36 and is on a 5 fight skid. Dudes been in some absolute wars too.

Here's a question for you dudes. Is Kevin Lee the Lightweight Brandon Vera? All the tools but never becomes the fighter you'd think?

That's not a terrible comparison. Kevin Lee is really loving strong and quick, has high level wrestling, punches and kicks real hard and when he puts it together, it's something else, but he's just so much less than the sum of his parts.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

who's going to murder who? I haven't heard of Algeo but that's not worth anything. I hadn't heard of Yan until the Faber fight. Lamas is clearly on the downslope though, but he was real loving good at one point.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Brut posted:

Yan came up through ACB (now ACA) with 1 split decision loss to Magomed Magomedov that he avenged, and he had 5 wins in UFC before fighting Faber, including 2 on PPV cards.

Algeo came up through CFFC and Ring of Combat (New Jersy/Philly regionals) and has 4 losses, including most recently in the contender series to some other guy who didn't even get a contract off his win.

So yeah, I'm saying Lamas is gonna crush him with ease, despite being 38 years old.

That's what i figured. I wasn't having a go at Yan, just showing how many fighters, even good ones, completely slip under my radar these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Memento posted:

There's just so many loving fighters

Like, the number of dudes coming out of Dagestan and the surrounds with The Beard and freakishly good wrestling right now is insane

That Diakase fight with the super impressive opponent...I've already forgotten that guy's name. Kamaka/Kelley was absolutely loving dope and a FOTY contender and i had to google both guys' names.

FishBowlRobot posted:

Henry Cejudo turned his natural unlikability into an endearing quality.

He became way more endearing by retiring and loving off.