Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i liked the hobbit a lot. immediately picked up fellowship of the ring. it was the first book i ever stopped reading and never picked up again when they were crossing the stream and just about to be caught by the wraiths so uh... elves have magic power over streams
i appreciate the world he put together and the style of storytelling but its not the tightest story if youre gonna make up critical plot elements at the absolute last second

the movies drag on so long theyre unwatchable. i saw the return of the king in theaters and i could swear they spent a half hour or more just revisiting all the characters after the movie shouldve ended
actually im not sure i saw it in theaters. i recall a definite feeling of being trapped watching it that makes it seem that way

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

No Pants posted:

you almost got me, good one

quote:

‘Who made the flood?’ asked Frodo. ‘Elrond commanded it,’ answered Gandalf. ‘The river of this valley is under his power, and it will rise in anger when he has great need to bar the Ford. As soon as the captain of the Ringwraiths rode into the water the flood was released.
this resolution of the climactic situation with *surprise magic* explained several pages into the next book/chapter was very dissatisfying. every possible problem can be solved that way

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

hemale in pain posted:

it's a book about magic wizards dude. of course the explanation is because of magic
so i stopped reading it. problem solved
thats why i credit it with a lot of good things but not having a tight story

getting everything right at the same time youre inventing your own genre would be like your first ever shot with a basketball being a half-court one that goes in

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 3, 2020

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Big Beef City posted:

noped out of that nap tome like "nah bro I'd rather read Dickens, even". Sick filth is what it is.
i did want to talk about great expectations when i finished it but everyone else in the class was just like "duuuhhhhh i dont get it. but his name sounds a lot like pimp lololololol"

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

"[img posted:

https://i.imgur.com/G3TtrgB.jpg[/img]"]Ring a dong dillo! Ring a dong!