Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Roth posted:

Neuromancer is an interesting touchstone, as a foundational part of the cyberpunk genre and also stars a weeb.

it's funny, a lot of it feels cliched... but it's because he created some of those cliches (or at least brought them to modern readers/authors)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Tulip posted:

I think more people should read Ann Leckie's space opera trilogy, Ancillary Justice, Ancillary Sword, Ancillary Mercy. Core premise is that humanity has been space faring and fractious for a while, and one polity has gotten really into "ancillaries," a tech where an AI's intelligence is distributed over a bunch of lobotomized humans, which makes them both exceptionally good at ship-crew integration and very good at infantry combat, both of which turn out to be huge military advantages, plus some advantages in general comms/organization. This has unsurprisingly enabled a genuine interstellar empire. The books are from the perspective of one of these ship AIs and focus on how this imperialism requires classes of non-citizen, the regular traumatization of all levels of citizen, and how the empire creates mechanisms of distinction (fashions, ceremonies, gender norms, etc.) to justify themselves as "civilized" as opposed to the people they've been subduing.

e: It's also still ultimately a book about spaceships and lasers.

Put your gloves on

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

JazzPaws posted:

"The Saga of The Seven Suns" - Kevin J Anderson.

Great read with a few volumes to tell the complete saga. Human's gently caress up start an intergalactic war by accident (probably art imitating future life), well detailed and fleshed out story with it's own lore, better than Disney's efforts with the Star Wars franchise (Mandalorian excluded).

I will counter suggest not reading this series. It’s what happens when a guy who made all his money writing Star Wars EU material gets let loose with a blank canvas. And yes, I read all seven the main series books

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
To continue the John Scalzi promotion, I enjoyed Redshirts quite a bit. If you enjoy (or maybe just mock) Star Trek, it's a fun lark.