Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Canticle for Leibowitz will never stop being one of the best scis fi ever written.

The semi-sequel is actually also p.deece.

E: I liked A Memory Called Empire well enough but the whole cortical stacks thing is way less cool and way way creepier than the author clearly seems to think/wants you to think? Given the society-destroying shitfest that social media has become I also feel like the technology is v.poorly integrated into the miner's culture, like: humans would not treat such a thing in such a way.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Richard K. Morgan's Thirteen was a little :stare: IMO but the in-continuity/non-sequel Thin Air is really v.deece.

Better than the Altered Carbon series IMO?

E: And the new Warhammer Crime line of books is extremely extremely good cyberpunky-noir in a 40k context. If that sounds like :peanut: to you you'll almost certainly like it, if it sounds like :sadpeanut: to you then you very possibly won't? :shrug:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 18, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I don't know if it exactly counts as sci-fi, but the Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson has two old destroyers from WWII travel to an alternate world where the dinosaurs never died and which is also a dumpng ground for various strains of human history. They fight dinosaurs, Aztec-Spanish cultists, and fascists. Pretty good.

So it's like that one episode of Sharpe's Rifles but nautical and set during the Spanish Civil War?

:confused: