Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

David D. Davidson posted:

Hey do we have a thread for Sci-Fi books yet? Because I could use some recommendations.

recommend some books for david and also me

i read the city and the city recently and it was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Roth posted:

Neuromancer is an interesting touchstone, as a foundational part of the cyberpunk genre and also stars a weeb.

Neuromancer is a touchstone and a good introduction to Gibson's prose and vision but holy poo poo he gets much better at actually writing about how people think and feel and treat each other as he goes on. Definitely read Neuromancer but probably just skip straight to the Bigend trilogy (starting with Pattern Recognition) after that I think. I dunno if you'd properly call that trilogy science fiction but it's a good read.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I will counter suggest not reading this series. It’s what happens when a guy who made all his money writing Star Wars EU material gets let loose with a blank canvas. And yes, I read all seven the main series books

I only read the first couple but I second this. They're so focused on "world building" his derivative personal take on Dune that they're nearly plotless. They don't even benefit from vaguely reminding you of something good you liked. Avoid, avoid, avoid.