Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Last month's thread

This month we're going to try and lean into all the spare time we have with this Covid bullshit by making some threads and effort posts. Remember show and tell when you were a kid? Bringing some neat toy to class to make all the other kids jealous or showing off some weird thing you could do? Hauling in grandpa's old war medals, demonstrating how many times you could head a soccer ball in a row, it was all fun.

So that's what we're doing. Take some time and figure out what you have to share with the rest of the forum. Got a gun you haven't box threaded yet? Then take some awful pictures of toes and beige carpets and let us oogle your new Hi Point. Have you been getting into some weird and esoteric gun kata poo poo? Pay that homeless guy on the corner to take bad cell phone video of you doing your best Cold Steel Sword Dad impression. Whatever you've got, show us.

Seriously, give me some new content to read. I demand it.

Amuse, entertain, or inform me and I might throw some free forums poo poo at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh and if you post a thread link that poo poo in here.

Because we're all a bunch of loving savages that browse by bookmarks.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Iíll put up a post in here with my lock picks/snap gun when I get home. Not exactly thread worthy but still neat.

Ironically, I donít have them handy because Iím doing my shift on the ambulance today, and doing EMS poo poo is why I even have those in the first place. So bad at remembering to pack them.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Iíll put up a post in here with my lock picks/snap gun when I get home. Not exactly thread worthy but still neat.

Ironically, I donít have them handy because Iím doing my shift on the ambulance today, and doing EMS poo poo is why I even have those in the first place. So bad at remembering to pack them.

poo poo, make a thread.

Everyone always says "not thread worthy" but I've seen insane effort posts crammed into some other thread because of that justification.

Make a lockpicking thread. It doesn't have to be an insane effort post OP, just a few pics of your poo poo and maybe I dunno talk for a bit about why it's cool and then pay half a bit of attention to the thread so people can ask questions.

Not every thread needs to turn into a 100+ page megathread. Having 2 or 3 pages of conversation about a novel topic before it drifts off into our collective memories is a fine thing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Will do! I wasnít quite sure if I should post it here or not since itís not really firearms content but this is also a board full of people that like odd mechanical things so what the hey.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Eh, close enough. It's not like knives shoot bullets either.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I posted a box thread a couple weeks ago.

I was saying boo-urns.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3933652

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh and if you post a thread link that poo poo in here.

Because we're all a bunch of loving savages that browse by bookmarks.

Excuse you. People who do not use usercp are the true barbarians. Might as well just poo poo where you eat, or boil your ribs before cooking

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

<this space left intentionally blank, will be updated later. Fuck Lowtax>
Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

CainFortea posted:

Excuse you. People who do not use usercp are the true barbarians. Might as well just poo poo where you eat, or boil your ribs before cooking

Wait, you guys aren't boiling your ribs before cooking them? How else do you get that wonderful texture and taste that you can really only find it America's finest chain restaurants?

Take the ribs out of the package, boil them, dip them in a vat of sauce, and throw them on the grill for 10 minutes. How else am I supposed to grill ribs? Have you ever tried actually smoking ribs? It's impossible to keep them lit!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Did you hear that? It what's the sound of millions of Texans screaming out in terror, and were suddenly silenced

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

tarlibone posted:

Wait, you guys aren't boiling your ribs before cooking them? How else do you get that wonderful texture and taste that you can really only find it America's finest chain restaurants?

Take the ribs out of the package, boil them, dip them in a vat of sauce, and throw them on the grill for 10 minutes. How else am I supposed to grill ribs? Have you ever tried actually smoking ribs? It's impossible to keep them lit!

Real-talk: The lazy shortcut to making awesome ribs is sous vide. I usually don't even bother grilling them afterward because once you put some sauce on them the off-putting color is hidden.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

The corona virus is very dangerous and will probably kill us all. Why aren't you wearing a mask? Maintain social distancing. I hate everyone that breathes, especially the customers. They shouldn't breathe. Touch me and I will kill you.

Wait is that a puppy

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

I don't know if he's done this before and I've never seen it, or this is a new behavior, but in the most recent Forgotten Weapons video (Longslide 10mm Javelina) Ian's got someone else shooting at some steel plates and he goes, "Shooter ready! BEEEEEP!" instead of using an actual shot timer and I giggle every time I think about it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

poeticoddity posted:

I don't know if he's done this before and I've never seen it, or this is a new behavior, but in the most recent Forgotten Weapons video (Longslide 10mm Javelina) Ian's got someone else shooting at some steel plates and he goes, "Shooter ready! BEEEEEP!" instead of using an actual shot timer and I giggle every time I think about it.

I saw that. The notable thing to me was that the gun had so much power that even when the gun jammed, the intended plate would usually fall anyway. At one point, three of them surrender when the shot hits their neighbor.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'll have to ruminate on if I have any gun adjacent stuff to make a thread about but for now have a few pics of my latest miniature (40K) painting that I've been doing a fair bit of during the quarantine years.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

tangy yet delightful posted:

I'll have to ruminate on if I have any gun adjacent stuff to make a thread about but for now have a few pics of my latest miniature (40K) painting that I've been doing a fair bit of during the quarantine years.

One of my gaming buds keeps telling me I should put together a Kill Team squad. I have never warhammed before but he says Killteam is great.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

For anyone who's not already tracking this, pretty much the entire east coast (other than areas of Florida that have already been hit) of the US is under some sort of NWS alert or watch because of tropical storm/hurricane Isaias.

Some of the advisories cover a significant amount of inland range (e.g. all of Maine) and many cover major urban hubs (e.g. DC, NYC, Boston, etc.).

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

poeticoddity posted:

Ian is a goofy dude (in a good way) and always has been. He's just usually professional, but the goofiness has definitely slipped through occasionally.

Crow Zone
Jan 20, 2006

not sure if this is the place to ask, but what happened to the IRC channel?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Coldrice posted:

not sure if this is the place to ask, but what happened to the IRC channel?

Discord.

Edit: Also I went to go poke you on IRC about it and you aren't even there!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

canyoneer posted:

One of my gaming buds keeps telling me I should put together a Kill Team squad. I have never warhammed before but he says Killteam is great.

I've played about 3 games of KT, it's a neat little way to get sucked into the universe/gaming system. GW just released 9th edition which has sucked my OG best friend and I back into playing 40K again (well in theory anyway, stupid quarantine).

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

That looks loving grand! Seriously, hats off to you on that.

I'm selling a lot of painted miniatures I got in London as a kid. I'm keeping my Lady Knight, Griffon, and Skeleton Army.

A griffon is a part of our family crest, so this one guards a coin.

This is one of the cooler ones I have up for sale -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184381032569

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Ammo chat: Iíve only been shooting small local matches because the big ones were all canceled so I havenít been burning as much ammo as in previous years. And thereís no overtime so Iíve been able to spend a bit of time hand loading.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

I picked a VLTOR CASV Handguard for my ParaFAL and is DOPE.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

I will attempt a box thread when I pay off my newest addition(s) to the collection.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Detroit

College Slice

Eventually I'll completely figure out that whole "UV resin causes silicone to not cure" problem and then I'll show you what I got.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Back in the spring of 2018, I started working on a 1/64 scale wooden model of the Bluenose, a Canadian fishing and racing schooner from Nova Scotia that is commemorated on our dime. It is a pretty famous symbol of my home province and I started it as a kind of a love-letter to a place that I had to move away from for work... and that has taken on a new significance in light of what happened back home this spring. I've been working away at it in fits and starts, with a long break in 2019 that lasted several months while I worked out how to align and install the masts properly. Quarantine and isolation have been helpful in that I have given over quite a bit of time to working on the model again and it is nearing completion. I am currently well into the rigging phase of the process, finishing up a few odds and ends at this point before launching into the shrouds-- the long pieces of rope that run up and down a mast to provide it with support. Once those are done, it is a simple matter of mounting the model for display and then it is finished.

Here's an overall view of the model. It is pretty large, about 33" long. I hung the last two sheets of the plans up on the wall for easier reference during this process-- flipping through them was a colossal pain in the arse.

My overall vision for the model is to represent Bluenose after a race, all dressed up. The signal flags here are all hand-painted on tissue paper and tied together in a daisy chain with wee reef knots.

A view of the bow. Bluenose is a popular subject by virtue of her graceful lines-- she looks like she is going fast just sitting there.

A close up of some of the rigging on the bowsprit. I did the block in the middle during a staff meeting, not knowing that my web camera was on and that the head of the agency I work for could see me at work on the model. I often use meetings as background noise while I busy myself with this, but not normally (or ever) with an audience. Anyways, the agency head didn't say boo about it until after the meeting was over; apparently people think watching other people work on hobbies is soothing.

Here is the same area after last night's efforts.

This is the stern of the vessel. The fluffy looking things coming off the boom (the horizontal spar that is visible) are called baggywrinkles and are frayed bits of rope that provide an ablative cover for lines that are likely to come into contact with sails or blocks-- the cover wears to protect the underlying line.

This is the base of the foremast, featuring one of my all-time favourite rope coils that I have ever made. As I have been doing the rigging, I have been making coils like this on a jig made from scrap wood to hang off of belaying pins, stanchions and so on. They are fiddly to install, but oddly satisfying. You can also see the deck quite clearly here. The dark lines represent the caulking that would go into seal the deck planks and keep them from leaking; I made these by rubbing the edges of the planks with a pencil before installing them. This produces a durable line effect; it persists through the sanding that takes place after the deck is installed.

You can also see a large baggywrinkle up at the upper end of the topping lift (a very large, stout line used to support the main boom, and through that the immense main sail) on the main mast. There is a lot going on here in terms of different systems of rigging and I am eternally grateful for electronics tweezers.

And here's a view of the foremast and a bunch of halyards and sheets tied off to the rail. It's been a hell of a thing to see this coming together, and every day brings a new piece completed-- it really, finally does feel like what is ahead is much shorter than what has come before.

Bonus: A Stan Rogers song that inspired the signal on the model

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo1IvV6qAWY

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Fearless posted:

Bonus: A Stan Rogers song that inspired the signal on the model

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo1IvV6qAWY

What is the signal supposed to say?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Beardless posted:

What is the signal supposed to say?

"Child of the wind and tide."

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Fearless posted:

"Child of the wind and tide."

I hate to tell you this, but I think you've got a B instead of an A, it seems to read "child of the wind bnd tide".

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Beardless posted:

I hate to tell you this, but I think you've got a B instead of an A, it seems to read "child of the wind bnd tide".

Dieter, we've been activated! You will be made to disable the cottage cheese and pommes frites infrastructure, I will sink their teeny little ship! Hup, hup, hup.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Fearless posted:

Back in the spring of 2018, I started working on a 1/64 scale wooden model of the Bluenose, a Canadian fishing and racing schooner from Nova Scotia that is commemorated on our dime.

Very cool. I saw Bluenose II at the fisheries museum in Lunenberg many years ago, but I'll always associate the name with the old Bar Harbor-Yarmouth ferry service.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Beardless posted:

I think you're right! Happily, that's an easy fix.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Captain Log posted:

That looks loving grand! Seriously, hats off to you on that.

I'm selling a lot of painted miniatures I got in London as a kid. I'm keeping my Lady Knight, Griffon, and Skeleton Army.

A griffon is a part of our family crest, so this one guards a coin.

Thanks & that griffon in particular is really cool. That ebay minotaur looks mean, love it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Thanks & that griffon in particular is really cool. That ebay minotaur looks mean, love it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Beardless posted:

ENGLAND EXPECTS THAT EVERY MAN WILL POO HIS DUTY

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Detroit

College Slice

I converted a used coffee can into a UV curing chamber and got a license to sell printed minis from a modeler.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Right around March I started learning or teaching myself to edit videos. In April I took two weeks off for my birthday but with nowhere to go I stayed home and started cooking, then I started recording.

Since then I've slowly been putting together some cooking videos and I'll probably be launching my YouTube channel later this month. I'm talking to some friends and friends of friends to get some graphics, logos and art to help the channel look official and less like a vlog.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Action-Bastard posted:

Right around March I started learning or teaching myself to edit videos. In April I took two weeks off for my birthday but with nowhere to go I stayed home and started cooking, then I started recording.

Since then I've slowly been putting together some cooking videos and I'll probably be launching my YouTube channel later this month. I'm talking to some friends and friends of friends to get some graphics, logos and art to help the channel look official and less like a vlog.

What are you using for editing software?

Know of anything out there these days that's 1) free and 2) runs on windows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs

Fearless posted:

baggywrinkle

Admit it, you made this word up.