Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I've always understood "local rule" to mean "you don't get punished if...", and I think the standard USGA rule of golf mostly says you can't replace broken equipment mid-round.

USGA posted:

(2) Use or Repair of Club Damaged During Round. If a conforming club is damaged during a round or while play is stopped under Rule 5.7a, the player normally must not replace it with another club. (For a limited exception when the player did not cause the damage, see Rule 4.1b(3)).
But no matter what the nature or cause of the damage, the damaged club is treated as conforming for the rest of the round (but not during a play-off in stroke play, which is a new round).

For the rest of the round, the player may:

Continue to make strokes with the damaged club, or

Have the club repaired by restoring it as nearly as possible to its condition before the damage happened during the round or while play was stopped, while still using the original grip, shaft and clubhead. But in doing so:

The player must not unreasonably delay play (see Rule 5.6a), and

Any damage that existed before the round must not be repaired.

“Damaged during a round ” means when the club’s performance characteristics are changed because of any act during the round (including while play is stopped under Rule 5.7a), whether:

By the player (such as making a stroke or practice swing with the club, putting it in or taking it out of a golf bag, dropping or leaning on it, or throwing or abusing it), or

By any other person, outside influence or natural forces.

But a club is not “damaged during a round ” if its performance characteristics are deliberately changed by the player during the round, as covered by Rule 4.1a(3).

---

(3) No Replacing Lost or Damaged Clubs. If a player started with 14 clubs or added clubs up to the limit of 14 and then loses or damages a club during the round or while play is stopped under Rule 5.7a, the player must not replace it with another club.

E: Torgeaux put it a lot better than I could.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm just saying it seems odd they'd have a local rule specifically for the championship specifically for breaking and replacing a club mid-round when PGA/USGA rules say in other circumstances, "Nope".

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Huh, I would not have thought of this:

USGA Interpretations posted:

4.1b(1)/1 – Separate Clubhead and Shaft Are Not a Club
With respect to Rule 4.1b(1), separated parts of a club are not a club and do not count towards a player’s 14-club limit.

For example, if a player starts his or her round with 14 clubs and is also carrying separated club components, the player is considered to be carrying only 14 clubs and there is no breach of Rule 4.1b(1).

I'm enjoying the image of Bryson's caddie having a second bag of nothing but shafts.

E: welp guess not lol

quote:

4.1b(4)/1 – Club Components May Be Assembled When Not Carried By or For Player
Rule 4.1b(4) restricts a player from building a club from parts that he or she is carrying or parts that any other person is carrying for him or her. It does not restrict the player from retrieving parts to build a club or having parts brought to him or her.

For example, if a player is permitted to add a club (see Rule 4.1b(1)) or replace a damaged club (see Rule 4.1b(3)), club components brought from the clubhouse (such as the player’s locker), the golf shop, or a manufacturer’s truck, or other similar locations, are not considered to be “carried by anyone for the player during the round ” and are allowed to be assembled by the player or anyone else.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 7, 2020

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I like the idea of having a bag full of club heads and shafts, but NOT having the local rule in effect so you CANNOT use the replacement shafts (the rule states 'use original components'). Now you're REALLY up poo poo creek. You thought you'd covered all the bases. Rule, no rule, a bag full of club making equipment, little bottles of that grip tape solvent and a vice grip chock to help shaft and regrip your entire set while walking down the fairway? All for naught.

But you'll show them. The rules committee won't know what hit them.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I misinterpreted that rules guy yesterday they showed on TV then, it seemed like it was a new rule overall from 2019 by the way he explained it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Phil's starting to play very well, was worried he wasn't gonna make the cut. Dude's dialed in.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Jesus that was the fastest I’ve seen Tiger pick up a tee in a long time. It was swing/club twirl/tee pick up, the ball was just reaching its apex lol

Tiger to shoot -5 today!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

And then Rory stepped up and just about outdrove him on the fly lol

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Hope the cut moves to +1 - would love to see Phil and Bubba make it to the weekend.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

mattfl posted:

Jesus that was the fastest I’ve seen Tiger pick up a tee in a long time. It was swing/club twirl/tee pick up, the ball was just reaching its apex lol

Tiger to shoot -5 today!

Tiger forgot how to read greens apparently.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

Tiger forgot how to read greens apparently.

Jesus no poo poo. What happened to him overnight?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Guys I think Sergio still has a chance

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

What in the world happened to Rory at 12?!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

This tournament went from everybody making 50 footers to nobody being able to make 6 footers, wtf

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

LOL at SVP comparing Lorenzo-Vera to Al Swearengen.

Also LOL at Rickie whiffing or tapping his ball and missing the cut. And I like Rickie :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The cut was +1. Finau only 4 strokes ahead, Phil can easily make it up!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol rip me

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Josh, can I just paypal you the $20 now, since you are the "pool manager?" :newlol:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

C’mon Jordan, buddy. I believe in you.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Alright who had *checks notes*

Haotong Lin
Colin Morikawa
Cameron Champ
aaand whatever a 'Mike Lorenzo-Vera' is?

Come on up and collect your "god damns" from everyone, we have some lovely "who the hell are these guys" shirts for you

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
A guy in a separate pool has both Haotong Li and Morikawa. RIP to me x 2

Anno
May 10, 2017

Can they just fire Faldo live on air and announce Phil is doing the full Romo and signed a 10 year contract or whatever?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anno posted:

Can they just fire Faldo live on air and announce Phil is doing the full Romo and signed a 10 year contract or whatever?

That would be awesome lol

Also a Wolfe/Koepka Sunday would be interesting.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I feel like all the big distance guys are near the top of the leaderboard. I guess this course puts a premium on long, accurate drives.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The wheels have come off everyone

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
It's amazing that champ carries his driver 320 by hitting absolute seeds that are like 60-80 feet off the ground. What a stud.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dr. Capco posted:

It's amazing that champ carries his driver 320 by hitting absolute seeds that are like 60-80 feet off the ground. What a stud.

He turns so loving hard into the ball.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Li's choking himself to out of contention going into Sunday.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Koepka looked horrid all day but somehow is still only 2 shots back.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Star stacked final round lining up - gonna be fun!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Kirios posted:

Li's choking himself to out of contention going into Sunday.

Hitting a ball into one of those trees and it not coming down is just poo poo luck IMO.

A guy I played with in my club championship had that happen this year but he hit a wedge up into some super thick fir trees which isn't all that surprising compared to those cypress trees.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

After round 3. Looks like the pool is down to 3 players.

Anno
May 10, 2017

If Casey hadn't gotten up and down from 130 on 18 we'd have the Bryson/Brooks pairing we should've had weeks ago. :argh:

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Other than Tiger not being in contention, I love everything that's happening right now.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Jesus, the coverage sucks. I'm not sure how long the, "why do we like sports" montage was, but by the end I was just telling for them to show some loving golf.

5 minutes of air time, 2 minutes of golf, commercial. For some reason, suddenly at around 345 EST the coverage just went to that lowfty bullshit. The coverage of the PGA has always been bad, though. Last Chance for Glory!!!

Edit: well, it's getting worse. Showing people on the practice range, montage of other tournaments, a picture of Cameron champ's grandfather. Do they know there is golf going on right now?

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 9, 2020

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm feeling Bryson today, think he's gonna shoot 64 and lock down the Championship.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I'm hoping Bryson and Finau get into a "who can hit it harder" contest while playing together today and shoot themselves out of the tournament, while my boy Morikawa gets into a playoff with Brooks. Don't care which one wins because either would be a great story.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
How can they not have shot tracker on the first hole for Casey, Koepka, Bryson and Finau?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The US Women’s Am is happening like 10 miles north of me so I’ve been watching that during the day this weekend before switching to the PGA at night. Currently on the 32nd hole of the championship match, sounds like I’m not missing much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

torgeaux posted:

How can they not have shot tracker on the first hole for Casey, Koepka, Bryson and Finau?
The dumbest is when they have shot tracer but only show the apex and not ball speed. Nobody cares about apex, we want those 180mph numbers!!!