Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah I think in the current incarnation this is more E/N or ask/tell, unless you wanted it to sorta become a general hub for talking about the pathetic state of healthcare activism in the US and general resource hub for both academic stuff like why M4A is good, and how utterly hosed we are as a failed state, or general tips for navigating the healthcare hellscape.

I'm just really bummed that over the past 2 years a bunch of orgs I've volunteered with like the nurses union have pretty much made it clear their leadership was just bird dogging us and don't really want to make the system better. Or they're doing the dumb "let's be realistic, we can't make the democrats mad, so we'll have to settle for *~incremental improvements~* when the economy is good and the democrats control everything. Oh, except in states where they control everything. We can't challenge them there, because they're the only game in town!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Go for it dude, and also there's nothing wrong with leading with your lived experiences. I was at an event where Tim Faust spoke and he had a really good phrase 'temporarily able-bodied" like it's only a matter of time before something in all of our meat sacks breaks down, so there is a very real urgency to fix the system, even for those of us who are currently healthy. It's good to remind folks what's in store for nearly all of us at some point.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Still Dismal posted:

Hospitals themselves don't get nearly enough flack honestly. Insurance companies are the main villains in most healthcare reform arguments (not at all saying they don't deserve this), but hospitals are a huge part of the problem as well. Hospitals have much better PR but are every bit as culpable for the insane runaway cost inflation that you see in American healthcare. I think the problem is that people generally like doctors, nurses, etc., and hospitals like to conflate attacking their predatory pricing and practices with attacking the workers providing healthcare themselves.

Yeah the whole private hospital grift is terrible. Especially since anything like providing say an ER to a city and not luxury adrenachrome regeneration facilities is almost always a 'public private partnership' where the local taxpayers foot the bill when stuff is in the red, the private company hoovers up the profit, and always uses threats of closing down or reducing services to demand the ratio of public spending to private profit shifts further in their favor.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

CelestialScribe posted:

The out of network thing is what scares the poo poo out of me. So you can do the right thing, go to an in-network hospital, but by bad luck have an out-of-network doctor, and be stuck with the bill? Such bullshit.

Quick question: do out-of-network costs count towards your out of pocket maximum? Or does it depend on the plan?

Depends on the plan, and also circumstances. They're usually a little more forgiving of emergency procedures, but even then the default is "Screw you over, then see how much you protest."

You can also wind up with there just literally not being anyone in the hospital that does what you need who is 'in network.' A common gotcha there is anesthesiologists.
So your hospital is in network, the doctor is too, and the procedure is approved/listed as covered or with a specific copay or whatnot. Then you wake up and get a surprise 6 figure bill.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 7, 2020

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Kreeblah posted:

This, right here, is one major source of bullshit (of many) in this system: insurance networks that are so narrow so you have a choice of like three doctors to go to (with the only one that's accepting new patients being a two hour drive, one way, and God help you if you have to take the bus), and providers that deliberately don't contract with insurers so that they can gently caress people with huge bills and then strongarm them down to merely excruciatingly extortionate payments rather than blatantly crippling ones.

Yeah, or treatments that are technically covered on paper but in practice they offer such a pittance in compensation no one offers it in network. You of course wouldn't know this if you say pay extra for the next tier of coverage during open enrollment because you really want or need that treatment. Mental health care is especially notorious for that. I've known people who specifically jumped through all the hoops to get cognitive behavioral therapy approved by their insurance only to have the rug pulled out from them and no therapists that offer that are in their network within 100 miles.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
loving hell, I'm amazed we haven't seen more people do minecraft poo poo to insurance executives.
If I was terminally ill, or lost someone I loved due to these games I know I would try to before I got too sick.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Another barrier to change I've been thinking of something like a third of all gofundme campaigns are for medical expenses. Even zuck is getting in on the 'pay me 3% to donate' scam. So forces that technically shouldn't be involved in the discussion have a vested interest in keeping the healthcare system incredibly broken in the US. Meanwhile sources of information about politics don't really disclose things like the pod bless america assholes were invested in gofundme, so gosh of course they'd say m4a isn't a good option for another 10-40 years.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

twice burned ice posted:

Your commitment committed to Trump's reelection in 2020 is impressive! Do you post the same accelerationist bullshit in every thread for any reason other than unironic support for Trump?

I know the dumb trend among libs is to redefine 'accelerationist' to include anyone who looks at the centrist track record and identifies them as a barrier to their goals, but can you at least pretend you're better than a daily kos reply guy?
Show your work. Explain how my saying "Biden will not push forward m4a, I have a better chance of getting a pro m4a president before 2028 if his admin is not in power from 2020-2028" is accelerationist. Also explain why your saying "Trump will not pick a liberal Supreme Court Justice, I have a better chance of getting a liberal SCOTUS pick before 2024 if his admin is not in office from 2020-2024" isn't the exact same, you dirty accelerationist.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 17, 2020

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Like fair enough, maybe the dude you're replying to chants 'trump trump trump' in every thread, but that's irrelevant to the 100% cogent argument "I think the dude who has said he will veto m4a will keep m4a off the table as long as he's president"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

small critique-basically no one believes this but grandparents and hardcore chuds.

No, plenty of liberal boomers believe it too. Or at least believe it's the best system for the US/those actual good systems wouldn't work here for reasons.
Things are changing for the better when it comes to public opinion, but canvassing for m4a has almost as many soul crushing moments as ones that steel your resolve.