Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
My son spent two hours in an American hospital once. Docs literally just checked him out and waited to see if he had a concussion. The bill was $3,000.

I love my universal health care. Private health can get hosed.

If the United States isn't going to adopt universal health care, and it should, I feel like there are a few simple things you could do to make the current system just a tiny bit less poo poo:

- Completely ban "in network" and "out of network" arrangements. Your health insurance applies everywhere.
- A billing timeline. If you aren't billed within three months, you no longer have to pay. Too many stories of bills coming years later.
- Premiums at 10% max of income, out of pocket max at another 10% of your income.

Ideally everything would be free, but hey.

CelestialScribe fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Kreeblah posted:

Burn it all down, salt the earth, and guillotine the people responsible for it.

If I don't have health care, I'm dead (thanks, unlucky roll of the dice), so because I have comparatively good healthcare where I currently am, it's making it really hard to find a new job. Meanwhile, even though I have insurance that covers me pretty well, I'm still completely terrified of something getting billed wrong, or some out-of-network person walking by when I'm at a hospital and then ending up with a $20k bill that I can't pay.

The out of network thing is what scares the poo poo out of me. So you can do the right thing, go to an in-network hospital, but by bad luck have an out-of-network doctor, and be stuck with the bill? Such bullshit.

Quick question: do out-of-network costs count towards your out of pocket maximum? Or does it depend on the plan?