Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Hospitals themselves don't get nearly enough flack honestly. Insurance companies are the main villains in most healthcare reform arguments (not at all saying they don't deserve this), but hospitals are a huge part of the problem as well. Hospitals have much better PR but are every bit as culpable for the insane runaway cost inflation that you see in American healthcare. I think the problem is that people generally like doctors, nurses, etc., and hospitals like to conflate attacking their predatory pricing and practices with attacking the workers providing healthcare themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Question for those in this thread: how in the world do you respond to morons who tell you that universal health care is "slavery" because it's "forcing people to give charity"? I've run into this on another forum and its baffling, though I know it's a dumb way to reframe the issue.

I've tried pointing out that people have a right not to be forced into medical bankruptcy, and that M4A doesn't mean that doctors and nurses don't get paid, but it's like talking to a wall.

If you really must engage with these people, ask them this:

A)Do you believe in the right to fair trial?
and
B)Do you think judges, prosecutors, and public defenders work for free?

There are plenty of rights that we pay money to people to provide, that indeed can be only guarantee by people being employed to provide them.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
“Heh, if you were a little more sophisticated, you’d realize this was Good, Actually. The Contradictions Have Been Heightened You See, furthermore,” I say as Trump defunds medicare in 2021.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I have complicated thoughts on patriotism. I think patriotism in the sense of some kind of communal responsibility for and obligation to your fellow citizens, a sense that you are all part of some greater whole, is in many cases good, and is probably necessary for things like robust welfare states to work, both practically and politically. But there's definitely a shallow and cruel patriotism that manifests in idolatry of national symbols and hatred of the outgroup.