Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

- "A for profit healthcare system drives innovation!" Well...maybe. But it also ...

This is just plain false. Huge pharma coorporations have been buying up smaller companies that just developed an effective new treatment, jacking up the prices and slashing the R&D department because there is no short term profit in R&D. Even though that R&D department researched the treatment they are now making bank on. Dozens of smaller companies that still did research have been gobbled up by big pharma for the patents and had their R&D shut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Kreeblah posted:

It also incentivizes finding ongoing treatments rather than cures. Why let somebody pay $200,000 for a cure when they could be paying you $10,000/month for years?

How much that actually happens is something that will probably never be publicly known, but I have no doubt it's more than never.

Oh, that too! It's even driven Purdue to turn temporary pain into a need for ongoing treatment by getting people addicted to their painkiller, OxyContin. People switch to heroin after a time because it is more affordable, though.

Edit: Well, I guess I have to admit that that is pretty innovative.

Griefor fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 7, 2020

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Question for those in this thread: how in the world do you respond to morons who tell you that universal health care is "slavery" because it's "forcing people to give charity"? I've run into this on another forum and its baffling, though I know it's a dumb way to reframe the issue.

I've tried pointing out that people have a right not to be forced into medical bankruptcy, and that M4A doesn't mean that doctors and nurses don't get paid, but it's like talking to a wall.

If your definition of slavery is being forced to do anything at all you could argue that being forced to free your slaves is slavery.