Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I loving hate prior authorizations. It's needless busy work to discourage your doctor from writing that RX for you. Doctor sees you, writes the RX. You come to us, we try to fill it, insurance kicks it back and says no, requires prior authorization for [arbitrary reason/no reason at all]. Then we fax or call the doc to let them know, they don't even get to it until the next day unless you got it too us early enough, then they have to fill out paperwork and fight the insurance company to prove that yes, that medication they wrote a prescription for really is what they wanted you to take, they mean it, would you please cover it, then whenever the insurance decides to allow the prescription to process 2-5 days later, you can finally get *some* coverage on it. This coverage may or may not even last the life of the prescription, and will definitely stop working if you have to transfer it for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Zapf Dingbat posted:

love to be held hostage by my depression meds.

My doctor will not fill a prescription with refills. I have to go see the pusher man every single month to get a one time prescription. It's a loving racket.

Was going to look for another one but then COVID hit.

The only way this makes sense is if you're starting pharmacotherapy for your depression and the doctor expects to feel things out and change your drug or dose with follow-up visits, which is normal.
However, if you're already on a safe, effective therapy than that whole dog and pony show is unnecessary. Depression meds aren't even scheduled, so the doctor can't use that excuse. It's not unusual to have patients on a maintenance antidepressant or two with an entire year's worth of refills once they've felt they landed on something good.

It sounds like your doctor has some odd personal feelings about treating depression, or is just milking you for visits.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

Not true. I suppose it depends on the medication but I have to be seen at least every 90 days for mine.

Hmmm, may be best practices or a state law thing. But to be honest every 90 days sounds reasonable too. One of the big indicators of clinical success for antidepressants and antipsychotics is the length of time a patient will keep taking them. The original post about going back once a month indefinitely did sound weird though. I expect usually the patient and doctor take a few months to dial things in, but once they find something that works they stick to it and go longer without checkups.