Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Safety Dance posted:

Whatever happened to the Biturbo guy from Seattle? Last I heard he was in Nebraska for some reason.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=102069
🤐😬

InitialDave posted:

How did things work out with Viggen? He was never really the same after his crash, and at some point kind of vanished.

I didn't really see his posts before the crash, but yeah his brain definitely wasn't working right after :( I hope he's doing better. At least one of his accounts got banned, don't know if he came back.

Good to see from you Sock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Oh jesus christ.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Charles posted:

I didn't really see his posts before the crash, but yeah his brain definitely wasn't working right after :( I hope he's doing better. At least one of his accounts got banned, don't know if he came back.

I actually thought Viggen was still around, just with a different username?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I actually thought Viggen was still around, just with a different username?

I looked up the Viggen account itself but couldn't remember the names of any of the others.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

InitialDave posted:

Goatse Guy. I think she was still posting on the FB group for a while, but not sure she does any more?

She was a venus fly trap for AI goons. Whomever bought her the "Forums Bicycle" thread should get an award. I signed off with her the same way I signed off with 14 --

quote:

You know, I talked to you for a while. You seemed cool and seemed like you were trying to get going with things, but kept having setbacks. Did you ever notice that things are always happening to you?

What's the one common denominator with all of your drama? You. You are a professional victim, and you play it well. And spreading poo poo that people tell you in confidence strengthens that argument.

You're not a victim, you're just a bad person.

There was a lot of drama behind that with her and some other goons, and I talked with her on FB a good bit for a time (I'm married, never had any thoughts of her in that way, you nasty goons), but man, she and 14 followed similar arcs.

And don't get me started on Das Volk. Edit: Oh wait, and BellDandy, I got his panties so bunched up, it was funny. :D

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Sockington posted:

It’s not much to write home about.

2 feet longer and 8” taller.

Sock, certainly a project and a half. Reason for modification that fine fishing vessel?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

AI was the reason I registered. I spent countless afternoons in high school Microsoft Office "classes" spent reading the Stupid Question Megathread (don't ask me about their web filter, I doubt it works any better). I can honestly say the forums prevented at least some amount of teenage stupidity, but luckily I still had plenty to get out of my system. Even better, a dozen or so years later I've managed to find a workplace that also doesn't filter the forums, so I've come full circle.

In all seriousness, I've learned a bunch from AI and keep coming back to become less stupid. Also, I think I'd be remiss if I didn't bring up the legendary DrEG Civic resurrected by sharkytm himself, though a link to it escapes me. :(

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 6, 2020

Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!
I remember AI being created, and how obnoxious car threads in GBS were before that. Also the time they deleted AI and we flooded GBS with car threads in protest. I had a screenshot years ago of the GBS page 1 and half the threads were SHOULD I ADD A CAI TO MY CAVALIER and poo poo like that. Funny as hell. I think AI was recreated the morning after that? :lol: This forum was pretty fun, and maybe 5 years or so in the mid 2000's were pretty straight up fantastic. Some hilarious poo poo was posted by some pretty funny people. I worked nights back then and would drink and talk poo poo with these virtual strangers at 3am after work for hours many nights a week laughing my rear end off. Some of the funniest threads came about because of drunk/high/bored people talking poo poo trying to make each other laugh and later coordinated irc thread invasions. We had what at the time we thought was the worst mod ever back then but him and the other two were mostly AFK so you could post pretty much whatever and get away with it for the most part. The highlights were always Syfon threads and the shitfests they always, always turned into. When you visited ai and saw a new thread with him as the OP you knew clicking it would result in plenty of laughs. Also that was the lol2fast2furious/driftuuuu era so those type posts popped up almost daily and got trolled to poo poo. Good times.

Things started to change later when we got moderation that was much more strict and the regulars were not allowed to troll stupid posts/posters/gbs refugees and held to a stricter standard. It cleaned the forum up quite a bit but changed the character pretty fast. A lot of us caught bans for whatever and just kind of moved on. Looking around now there's a lot of new and unfamiliar names but the informative content seems pretty good! A lot of names that are familiar are people who got trolled a lot back then but stuck around too, surprisingly. Some of the funniest people are just gone and disappeared.

The night time shitposting crew were guys like TREVOR (holy poo poo he was hilarious, still on my email acquaintance list, the fruity Dutch bastard), Ravyn one of the funniest guys in irc, trouserchili, Interceptor, Paulboz, stankchz, kill-9, dorquemada, gdogg, var1ant, proradium, redscare, zg, vertigo, and I'm sure a lot of people who's names I have forgotten as they changed their fuckin handles a bunch of times and it slipped away from me. Who was the army guy in Maine? I can't remember his name for some reason!

Some of the legit informative posters were guys like fleetwood (nice to see him mentioned!), phil, lobsterboy, djcommie, redscare and zg (when they weren't on IRC :v: ) and my favorite 'new poster' back then was Leica I think? I remember he had a camera for a name and always posted good poo poo. Probably forgetting a lot of people and threads. You know...drinking and memory retention and all that.

I really should buy a archive account, would be funny to read through that. I made an account in 2000 which got banned then this one. I made it ban free (!) until like 2009 then went away with the other dinosaurs for a long time. I bought this rereg on a whim so this is the only $10 bucks old lowtax got from me besides a few red titles I bought for people in all these years. I have an entire disc burned of AI images and threads from way the gently caress back, but I am not sure where it is now. If I run across it I will be sure to post some stuff.

You Am I posted:

who was the goon who kept on doing lovely photos of cars, like taking a photo of one of the front headlights? He supposedly had parents that were loaded, and him and his brother had a huge drama thread here.

Stop it you aussie turd you knew exactly who that was don't act like you didn't. :v: Literally the golden age of this forum due to him, even if unintentionally. Countless, countless hilarious threads, derails, trolling, and drama. And you forgot? I DON'T BELIEVE YOU AT ALL. P.S. that cordoba of yours will always be ugly af and I still remember it! :frog:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Oh yeah, that guy Kurten is a damned legend, too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Leica is now Applebees Appetizer (comedy name change?)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I'm pretty sure it was Catbus's Scout that got me to finally drop the 10 bux. He's got an FC Jeep now!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The mention of Cavaliers made me remember El Cavaliero all of a sudden.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Whatever happened to the Aussie(?) guy with the Lada Niva?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Captain McAllister posted:

Whatever happened to the Aussie(?) guy with the Lada Niva?

He's still around. Just isnt very frequent

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Charles posted:

Leica is now Applebees Appetizer (comedy name change?)

Still got em.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

He's still around. Just isnt very frequent
Yeah, that's General Failure, isn't it?

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
whatever happened to das volk? i remember his awful luck with gm products

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

He bought a viper, stopped posting, let someone else drive the viper and they crashed it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

InitialDave posted:

Goatse Guy. I think she was still posting on the FB group for a while, but not sure she does any more?

Pretty sure she's still in there, if she's who I think she is. Not very active, but does comment occasionally.

InitialDave posted:

How did things work out with Viggen? He was never really the same after his crash, and at some point kind of vanished.

I talked to him about 6 months ago (well, emailed). He sold his house (NV) and moved closer to family (much further north). He had a bit of brain damage from the wreck (more than what the forums gave him anyway) and was having a hard time holding down a job, IIRC?

You wouldn't believe this, but one on one in chat, he's a pretty decent guy. Smartass as hell (like on the forums), but decent. He sent me a pile of Kindle parts when I broke the screen on my last one, basically everything he had left. He'd been making sort of a living on ebay selling repaired kindles and phones, but that wasn't enough to pay the mortgage. Sending me all of his spare screens was one less (super fragile) box to move.

Raluek posted:

I'm glad this community has stuck around as it has; this really is the best car forum on the internet.

This. I've met a handful of AI peeps as well - not many, but Darchangel, the Australian dude who hung out in the US and bought a van sight unseen come to mind (gently caress if I can remember his forums name, but we stay in touch on FB; he pretty much dropped off the forums after his US trip though), ExplodingSims, 14", and Holdbrooks (just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's been others). I've met people from other car forums, and aside from one, they've all been rabid fanbois of their cars. We can agree to disagree that the Toyota Camry is the most exciting car in the world here... right?

I will say a dude on G2IC (Gen 2 Integra Club) did me a huge solid by doing a clutch swap on my $200 Civic (though I gave him my dead 91 Integra in exchange - he dropped a junkyard motor in it and gave it to someone at his church). He hasn't posted there in at least a decade, but that's also a car that ended production after the 1993 model year.

e: looks like G2IC is no more, at least the forums..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 6, 2020

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Elmnt80 posted:

He bought a viper, stopped posting, let someone else drive the viper and they crashed it.

The circle of viper ownership.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

He also heavily adopted a The Dark Knight era Joker "just want to watch the world burn" philosophy in, oh, what was it? 2016, perhaps?

Edit: Anyone remember the king of welding, ultimateforce?

Apparently he still posts on SA but not here. (I found him looking for DV's post history)

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 6, 2020

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

STR posted:

You wouldn't believe this, but one on one in chat, he's a pretty decent guy. Smartass as hell (like on the forums), but decent.
Nah, I'd believe that, while he could be a bit of a bell, it wasn't anything I'd regard as personal, and I really think a lot of it was due to taking an SUV to the head.

Other people.... was it DiZ who was an Aussie guy, built a fast sleeper Corolla, and someone rear ended it shortly after it was finished?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Krakkles posted:

He also heavily adopted a The Dark Knight era Joker "just want to watch the world burn" philosophy in, oh, what was it? 2016, perhaps?

Apparently he still posts on SA but not here. (I found him looking for DV's post history)

Yeah, I defriended DV when he went full-on Trump the King.

I'm FB friends with ultimateforce. He's struggled through his path. He had a shop for a while, but that's gone now, I think. He's going for a welding inspection certificate, I believe. Seems to be doing okay, just not a lot of car stuffs.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

STR posted:

the Australian dude who hung out in the US and bought a van sight unseen come to mind (gently caress if I can remember his forums name, but we stay in touch on FB; he pretty much dropped off the forums after his US trip though), Holdbrooks
literallyafish. That trip was a disaster from front to back, ending with the last NEAI meetup, which was also kind of a disaster at NoiseComplaint's old place. I think I still follow him on IG, although he hasn't posted in a while, or he blocked me.

What happened with Holdbrooks? He flew out for a couple of NE-AI meetups, and he was a blast to hang out with.

Krakkles posted:

Follow him on IG too, he's becoming a CWI, still doing a little welding. Still live in the Orlando area, and loves Disney Halloween nights. Seems to be doing... ok?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I interact with UF quite a bit on facebook, he's usually in good spirits. Should really paint another bmw green though.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Holdbrooks is a great dude busy doing doctor/nurse work in the southwest. Still does some car poo poo with Orange Things.

I miss sza, who did really rad poo poo with American iron.

I am/was genuinely saddened when I head about PaulBoz, who seemed like a wonderful person.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Yeah, I defriended DV when he went full-on Trump the King.

I'm FB friends with ultimateforce. He's struggled through his path. He had a shop for a while, but that's gone now, I think. He's going for a welding inspection certificate, I believe. Seems to be doing okay, just not a lot of car stuffs.
Same. I can't lie, it hurt to discover that - I considered him a pretty close friend and it really sucked watching him revel in what had happened to that point. I can't imagine it's gotten better since.

redscare, too

I don't have facebook anymore (or, I do, but I don't use it for any purpose except buying/selling), but I do have IG. I should figure out how to follow ultimateforce (and BIOWEDGE), I'd love to keep up with them.

sharkytm posted:

literallyafish. That trip was a disaster from front to back, ending with the last NEAI meetup, which was also kind of a disaster at NoiseComplaint's old place. I think I still follow him on IG, although he hasn't posted in a while, or he blocked me.

What happened with Holdbrooks? He flew out for a couple of NE-AI meetups, and he was a blast to hang out with.

Follow him on IG too, he's becoming a CWI, still doing a little welding. Still live in the Orlando area, and loves Disney Halloween nights. Seems to be doing... ok?
That UF is doing ok is heartening! It seemed like he was having a rough go of it (and certainly the end of his business fits that) and I'm glad he's doing ok.

I recall the trip for literallyafish being a pretty resounding disaster, but I don't recall the drama with that NEAI. Long shot, is the thread in archives somewhere?

Wrar posted:

I miss sza, who did really rad poo poo with American iron.
Same. I think he left in one of The Great Dramas (I recall something like "it's just too dramatic here") and I've always been bummed about that - he was genuinely cool and someone I'd love to keep in touch with.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Other people.... was it DiZ who was an Aussie guy, built a fast sleeper Corolla, and someone rear ended it shortly after it was finished?

Dizzz and he's still a regular.

LAF moved into a regional area, lost a shitload of weight and I think either got engaged or just married a few days ago? Either way, he's doing good.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Krakkles posted:

Same. I can't lie, it hurt to discover that - I considered him a pretty close friend and it really sucked watching him revel in what had happened to that point. I can't imagine it's gotten better since.

redscare, too

I don't have facebook anymore (or, I do, but I don't use it for any purpose except buying/selling), but I do have IG. I should figure out how to follow ultimateforce (and BIOWEDGE), I'd love to keep up with them.
That UF is doing ok is heartening! It seemed like he was having a rough go of it (and certainly the end of his business fits that) and I'm glad he's doing ok.

I recall the trip for literallyafish being a pretty resounding disaster, but I don't recall the drama with that NEAI. Long shot, is the thread in archives somewhere?

The NE:AI thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776876&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6
NoiseComplaint got some poo poo broken, and I think there were some bruised feelings elsewhere. I miss the get-togethers, but there's no way in hell I'd have a bunch of goons+alcohol+drugs at my place. Too bad, really. I know Ken and Tim had issues with people misbehaving at their places too.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

LAF moved into a regional area, lost a shitload of weight and I think either got engaged or just married a few days ago? Either way, he's doing good.

Glad to hear it. I knew he had dropped a ton of weight and had a steady partner. He was a nice guy, just got overwhelmed when he came over here.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

Kurten posted:

I have an entire disc burned of AI images and threads from way the gently caress back, but I am not sure where it is now. If I run across it I will be sure to post some stuff.

I really hope none of my threads are on there, I don't feel like being embarrassed by back in time me :stonklol:

also, Sup?!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

sharkytm posted:

I still see him on Facebook. He appears to be continuing to collect bright orange automobiles of every stripe.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

sharkytm posted:

minivanmegafun

oh hi i'm still alive! I kinda dropped out of here when I bought a new car that's been pretty reliable, and also moved to Chicago and drive a lot less.

and then dropped off the forums mostly entirely when they got pretty toxic for certain marginalized groups that i'm a member of.

so yeah, :rip: these dead gay forums

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

minivanmegafun posted:

oh hi i'm still alive! I kinda dropped out of here when I bought a new car that's been pretty reliable, and also moved to Chicago and drive a lot less.

and then dropped off the forums mostly entirely when they got pretty toxic for certain marginalized groups that i'm a member of.

Ai has stayed out of the fray, for the most part. Keep hanging with us, most of us don't do anything with cars anymore, either.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

minivanmegafun posted:

Whatup! gently caress the rest of the forums, stick with us! (DIY has some good stuff and people, but on the whole, my statement stands)

meatpimp posted:

Ai has stayed out of the fray, for the most part. Keep hanging with us, most of us don't do anything with cars anymore, either.

It took me a while to realize this last bit is true. I keep seeing new projects and kicking myself for not having the time to do anything, then it dawns on me that most of the projects are new PEOPLE, or someone who has had a long-term ongoing project that just gets a new thread. We're all getting older, and have less time to do dumb car poo poo. Plus, you know, buying a reliable car instead of wrenching on the old and busted.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

LobsterboyX posted:

I really hope none of my threads are on there, I don't feel like being embarrassed by back in time me :stonklol:

also, Sup?!

Was it you who had a beautiful old car that got ruined for the India Jones movie?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

big dong wanter posted:

Was it you who had a beautiful old car that got ruined for the India Jones movie?
Yep. Every time I see that movie I watch for the car and yell out "That's [Lobsterboyx's real name]'s car!" and my wife gives me a weird look.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
That poor poor Buick.

Fleetwood75
Sep 30, 2002
Lobsterboy told me that I was mentioned in here and my first reaction was "Oh man, I haven't thought about the SA Forums in like a decade!". Brief recap:

Many of you may remember my hot rodded "SVT Crown Victoria". I spent my AI heyday modding the poo poo out of this car:

I sold it in 2006, and as far as I know it's rotting in a Detroit junkyard now, if it hasn't been recycled for steel content already. I miss that car all the time, but it was a real pain in my rear end by the time I replaced it.

I also briefly had this 1989 Firebird Formula circa 2006. It was built for Autocross, had a full roll cage and everything. It had an electrical fire before I could ever really do much with it, so I sold it too:

When I realized that my Crown Vic and my Firebird were no longer adequate as reliable transportation I took the advice of many members on this forum and bought myself a brand new 2006 Saab 9-2X Aero (aka the Saabaru, a WRX clone). That thing was a winter beast, especially with Nokian Hakkapelita snow tires. Perfect for Detroit:

Then I moved to California in 2008 and started hanging out all the time with Lobsterboy in person and we became great friends, still are today! In 2010 I moved to Newport Beach and my Saab with its cold weather package and AWD was not appropriate at all so I sold it and bought my friend's 2006 S2000:

At the same time I also bought this bitchin' 1970 Cadillac Coupe Deville off of Lobsterboy's future father-in-law:

In 2014 I was finding the S2000 to be too impractical for a daily driver, so I got myself a Camaro SS/RS Convertible Stick Shift which I am still driving to this day:

In 2015 I got married and moved out to the suburbs (Orange, CA) and I finally got my Fleetwood Series 75!

Unfortunately the engine is totally shot in the Series 75, and I have no money to do anything about it, so it's been holding down the driveway for the past 5 years :-(

In 2017 I sold the Coupe Deville to buy the family truckster (2017 Yukon SLT) which my wife drives:

And yeah, that's where things stand today. Here's me when I was in my heyday of posting on here:

And here's me now:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It's funny to think of the crowd sourced wisdom of AI telling someone to buy a Saab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

Fleetwood75 posted:

At the same time I also bought this bitchin' 1970 Cadillac Coupe Deville off of Lobsterboy's future father-in-law:

That was a glorious car - my wife drove that primarily while we were in college. at 5' tall and weighing 115 pounds at that time, she was quite a sight in that big rear end boat.

Her dad bought the car for nothing.. I can't recall how cheap but it was comically cheap because it had some issue that the previous owner couldn't figure out. So once Mrs. lobsterboyx dad got the car, a few trips to the parts store later and the car was dead nuts reliable - by the time Fleetwood got a hold of it, he made the weekly drive from the OC to the valley for a weekly meeting of the Deviled Eggs Car Club. there was a lot of drinking going on back then- the guests at Fleetwoods wedding were not thrilled to hear me talk about it either.

big dong wanter posted:

word....

behold the motorola razr photo!

in good times:

I was completely out of control...