Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Captain Cool posted:

Is there anything I can do when sweating while hanging so I don't drop? It seems to happen more when my camera is off center but I might be imagining things.

Also, is there any strategy to Thin Ice before the bottom layer starts breaking? I did catch a couple of people last night by opening up holes early.

There's only a few strats I'm aware of and none are really noticably better than gently caress around till the end, because they all are basically just "IF they work it's helps a lil I guess"

1: make pitfalls. People don't expect holes to the slime right away, so just stand still till it falls through then go do it a random other spot. You might catch one or two people not paying attention early on.

2: run around the outside. Purple are scared of the edge, run around the outside to avoid people. This one is hit or miss, because sometimes a lot of people do this and it is worse than not. Combine it with taking out a bunch in the middle at first and you might do better. Who knows.

3: cut a giant chasm across the map, then pic the side with less beans. I do this one and if you have multiple people in the finale it's pretty cool just cutting the map in half right away. It has the bonus if screwing over the outside runners right away and them running around your fiord just makes it bigger. It's basically the strat from hexagone where you cut off your own lil section then slow down, but harder to do.

4: pick a rando and just heck them until they fall in the slime. This is my second most popular strat and it works roughly zero percent of the time, but if that pigeon that grabbed me at the end of hit parade and caused me to get second instead of first makes it to the finale, were both going to die. And he's going to know I did it on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Here's a tip I can give as someone with probably 60-70% win rate on Thin Ice: Thin Ice is not Hex-a-Gone, you don't have to take chances until the end.
Just jump around, make some murder holes if you want, but most importantly, just stay safe until you're down to 2-3 players left. You don't have to work on getting the others to fall off, more often than not they are more than willing to do it on their own.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Regarding the crown ranks, when are we supposed to get the prizes for ranks already earned as of the start of Season 3?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

anakha posted:

Regarding the crown ranks, when are we supposed to get the prizes for ranks already earned as of the start of Season 3?

You should already have them. Like, one of them is the gator costume, and I had it immediately when Season 3 started.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Well, I got it in the end. But by now I'm so content with using my current setup that I'm not sure I'm even gonna bother to equip it.

Anyone else gotten used to quickly flipping through every bean left if you qualify early to check who's using high crown rank titles or nameplates?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
55 hours in and finally won my first crown!

Fall Mountain (which I'd only played once or twice before, but feels a lot more accessible than most of the other finals) and just kept plowing steadily forward. I was just assuming I'd stuff the grab at the end but nope :shobon:

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone else gotten used to quickly flipping through every bean left if you qualify early to check who's using high crown rank titles or nameplates?

Yes but just to look at the names. I've got both PS4 and PC (so I can play with different mates) - favourite PS4 gamertag I've seen so far was simply "Slimy Nan".

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Ethics_Gradient posted:

55 hours in and finally won my first crown!

Fall Mountain (which I'd only played once or twice before, but feels a lot more accessible than most of the other finals) and just kept plowing steadily forward. I was just assuming I'd stuff the grab at the end but nope

Congrats! You’re mirror image-me. I’ve been able to win crowns in all the original final rounds (not the S3 ones yet) EXCEPT Fall Mountain. That one always throws me off for some reason..

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

RodShaft posted:

4: pick a rando and just heck them until they fall in the slime. This is my second most popular strat and it works roughly zero percent of the time, but if that pigeon that grabbed me at the end of hit parade and caused me to get second instead of first makes it to the finale, were both going to die. And he's going to know I did it on purpose.

Fall Guys: just heck them until they fall in the slime

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's pretty sweet seeing a military formation of samurai when you start any new game right now

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Theres a mode now thats just hex-a-gone three times. Seems like an easy way to get some crowns if your any good at it as you only get 20 players.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Someone's obviously played a lot of Hex-A-Gone.

E: Jump and Grab, until it is done.

OK, THAT's a costume I want.

anakha fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 8, 2021

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
New mode is fall ball 3 times in a row and it’s crazy as gently caress

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
So the last match is 1v1?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Three rounds and then a random final it says, I haven't made it there yet though.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Harold Fjord posted:

So the last match is 1v1?

Random final. I got Roll Off when I played it.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Now I want 1 v 1 though

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

4 ball 1v1

Edit: time to hate-play some fall guys... ALL FALL BALL ALL THE TIME!

http://www.twitch.tv/rodshaftmd

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 16, 2021

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I miss the old team game theme. The current one just doesn't sound as fun.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Painful Fall Ball Cup marathon again.
http://www.twitch.tv/rodshaftmd

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I finally got Infallible. Took me roughly 400 wins, but I've 100%ed this silly game. Incredibly, I got it playing Main Show, not something that I thought could happen with all the team games and afk teammates that the game threw at me.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I dunno if they've changed the algorithm lately but I seem to have been getting a lot of high player jump showdown finals lately. I used to really like that stage but I seem to be losing it to random chance each time. Stuff like an opponent jumping under me and knocking me off, I didn't know it worked like that, but it looked like a dragon punch! Or my platform wobbling with almost no way to get off it with the timing of the beams. I know randomly falling over is part of the "charm" but it happening while your platform is wobbling isn't really fun to me! At least when I lose the other finals I know its cos I suck..!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Edit or maybe my connection just sucks since I can't even load this app properly at home half the time these days

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
3.5 came out yesterday with a new level. I quite like it, you're in a dome avoiding getting hit by balls, while some of the floor drops out hexxagon style.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Annabel Pee posted:

3.5 came out yesterday with a new level. I quite like it, you're in a dome avoiding getting hit by balls, while some of the floor drops out hexxagon style.

I’m not a fan of the new one. On my first run I literally just stood still for the first half, which should never be a viable strategy, and yet I survived the round.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I watch my son play this game and sometimes I wonder who these other players are that they're getting beaten by a 4 year old.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Tagichatn posted:

I watch my son play this game and sometimes I wonder who these other players are that they're getting beaten by a 4 year old.

Fans is really hard!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Season 4 release date and trailer drops on 3/15, and the new season theme is “retro-future ‘80s sci-fi aesthetic”.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Feels like we've been at this point forever

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Although nice to get some hot fall ball action. Or it was until I realised a lot of people just don't understand it? Also getting to third match 4 vs 3 on the smaller team and having one of your team leave instantly sucks

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Marmaduke! posted:

Although nice to get some hot fall ball action. Or it was until I realised a lot of people just don't understand it? Also getting to third match 4 vs 3 on the smaller team and having one of your team leave instantly sucks

I had a 4v4 where 2 people left after the other team scored the first point. It was just a lucky first hit(they knocked it off the middle spinner and a yeetus bopped it in. There was no goalie yet) irony is, the other team was TERRIBLE and we would have easily won. They didn't end up with gold and we even managed a couple goals.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FBgSSDCmOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Haven't played Fall Guys since last year but I like that new theme, definitely going to give it a shot again.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Seems like a bad sign that the new season dropped today and no one noticed :laffo:

It's a neat variation with gravity wells and such, a new boring race version of Rollout, and a squads mode that as of now couldn't get enough players to actually start a game when I tried it :shrug:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Played with some friends for about two hours just now in squads mode. I still don't like the rolling snowball map, but overall it's fun to play again and especially with a team goal instead of as 2+ solos that are technically fighting each other.

It's true though, we had to requeue a few times when we'd near the 40 minimum player count for that mode and then 12-20 people would suddenly drop out and stall the match finder.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Squads mode is awesome, worked fine for me every time I tried it. Completely changes the feel of most of the levels, you pass based on an average of the four players positions, so in a race you actually want to come as close to first as possible rather than just half-arsing the first few levels since top 45 is good enough. And then you can get really tactical in finals, for example, if you have 4 players and they have 4 players in hexxagon, you only need one of your guys to win for you all to win, so you can sacrifice a few of your guys to grab other players and sabotage.

Just wish I had a squad on PS4 to play with rather than randos, they always look so cute with matching outfits.

Other updates are great too, 7 new levels more than usual and seem to have had a lot more effort put into them than usual (except maybe roll on). Nice little updates like the new challenge bar give you something to aim for when you're levelling up as well.

cheeeeesecake
Aug 16, 2003
Had a lot of fun yesterday. Won a squad goals final in basketball with an honest to God three pointer at distance to win by one point. We had no problem joining a squad game last night but this morning is a different story.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
If anyone’s up for some squads add me on PS4 barneyrobble, I’ll be on all night, no microphone

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

it took four seasons but they finally let you quit out without having to wait for the next round to load up. they also tweaked the physics (again) to tone down the ragdolling (again).

new maps are fun though.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
First couple rounds of squads is fun because it’s races and survival modes. After that, it’s a combination of the worst team modes (team tail tag, team pegwins, etc.). Turns the squads from a complete win to a total loss for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Nottherealaborn posted:

First couple rounds of squads is fun because it’s races and survival modes. After that, it’s a combination of the worst team modes (team tail tag, team pegwins, etc.). Turns the squads from a complete win to a total loss for me.

Tail tag would be so improved if they used the system in other squad games where you points go up for as long as you have the tail.