Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I can't tell if I'm bad at this game or if the game is just bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Colonel Whitey posted:

I can't tell if I'm bad at this game or if the game is just bad

nobody is good at fall guys

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Thom and the Heads posted:

egg scramble sucks rear end and i like this game less every time i play it

after the opening scramble just park your rear end in your goal and run interference

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Did they change the game weighting? I've had several games in a row with 4v4 Fall Balls into a Royal Fumble finale.

e: and then a 19-player Fall Mountain. No chance starting from the third row :smith:

StupidSexyMothman fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 12, 2020

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yes the changed the weighting so the mountain one isn't as common

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Just picked this up last night. Haven't won but it's heaps of fun.

Piling on to agree the at the tail modes suck. The problem is that there is no point doing anything until there is 20-30 secs left. They need to change it so you get x points per second your team has a tail, not who finishes with it.

So much pontial for game modes to and the game seems to be designed to pretty simple from a level design perspective. They can basically add any game or obstacle from Mario Party, Wipeout, Takeshis Castle, or Gladiators and you have an instant hit. Not to mention the variations you could have in races.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
The Tail Grab Final is literally the worst game I have ever played in my life and you will never ever convince me that there aren't cheaters with speed-hacks.

There's not even a point. If I get that one I just sit there and wait for the timer to run out. I've never even come close to anything resembling any sort of progress or effectiveness in that bullshit.

If any Fall Guys Devs are reading this, please remove that abomination of a final.

Jelly fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 12, 2020

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I WON!!! At fall mountain. I knew when it was just a 6-person game it was my time.

I think most of the games in this are a lot of fun except the tail games like I mentioned before. Those are the only ones I just really hate and just don't feel any reward even when I win, although they could be good with some tweaking. Some are a bit flawed like the aforementioned Fall Mountain and I guess fruit guessing sucks but at least it doesn't suck in the sense you're gonna get whacked for no reason. So it skates by my death stare.

Egg Scramble you gotta do your high percentage stuff and pick a team to sabotage quickly. Learn to time those jumps out of the hole which are annoying. Even more important than getting eggs in your own goal is getting them out of the bottom team's hole. It's like middle school you just don't wanna be on the bottom of the food chain.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 12, 2020

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I feel like over half the games you could just hook up to a random AI and get the same result. Player control barely outweighs randomness as a winning factor. The race modes are clearly the most well thought-out and balanced. Team games have no skill calibration so are always heavily lopsided so end up being a matter of sabotaging the weaker of the lower two which might actually be alright. This does not apply to the soccer game, unfortunately whoever has less players usually suffers. Though if your whole team recognizes the value of defense you will probably do well.

Overall, this game makes me way more salty than it has any right to.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
I didn’t end up winning but I managed to avoid everyone else for a good 45 seconds at the start of royal fumble just by hiding behind the pillar at the side opposite the conveyor ramp.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Jelly posted:

I feel like over half the games you could just hook up to a random AI and get the same result. Player control barely outweighs randomness as a winning factor.

I feel as though you have thoroughly missed the point of Fall Guys.

Realtalk, player skill is a surprisingly big factor. But, you know, the plural of anecdote...

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Just had a slime climb where only two of us finished. The final game was royal fumble, and I started with the tail. Easiest win yet, but felt bad for the other guy.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I really hope this patch includes the ability to invert my camera controls. I'm constantly fighting with the camera in tighter spots and looking at the ground.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

dog nougat posted:

I really hope this patch includes the ability to invert my camera controls. I'm constantly fighting with the camera in tighter spots and looking at the ground.

You can already do this, because I did this. It's in the settings.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Master Twig posted:

You can already do this, because I did this. It's in the settings.

I'm not seeing it on PS4. All there is in settings is audio stuff.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013

Jelly posted:

The Tail Grab Final is literally the worst game I have ever played in my life and you will never ever convince me that there aren't cheaters with speed-hacks.

There's not even a point. If I get that one I just sit there and wait for the timer to run out. I've never even come close to anything resembling any sort of progress or effectiveness in that bullshit.

If any Fall Guys Devs are reading this, please removed that abomination of a final.

There are absolutely cheaters in the game but it sounds like someone needs to get good

The only possible "stalemate" in the final is 1 on 1, which is pretty rare in first place, and tail bearer needs to play perfect to not get caught

In other cases it's about predicting movements and perfecting routes - it's basically Dead By Daylight.

singateco fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 12, 2020

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

dog nougat posted:

I'm not seeing it on PS4. All there is in settings is audio stuff.

Yeah it's only on PC, I'm sure they will add it shortly.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
I only live for days that I can tell goons to get better at video games for children

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I've yet to play Fall Ball and I'm level 13.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/1291473966658355200?s=20

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

bobby2times posted:

When team games are 75% of your total eliminations, you'll start hating them.

sounds like you gotta learn better ball physics buddy

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ZeroCount posted:

Egg Scramble is easy. Just find the currently losing team (endeavour not to be the losing team) and sit in their nest and toss eggs out until the timer runs out.

A good way to not lose at egg scramble is if you and 2-3 other dudes from your team stand on the stairs out from your nest and grab anyone with the wrong team colors who tries to jump out of your egg jail. They live there now. They are your eggs.
This is gonna be a fun game for a month or so, unless the devs have a ridiculous pipeline for new maps or have some degree of randomized obstacle courses. But man it's great right now, especially when you realize you're not gonna win and start doing spite moves loke grabbing dudes before jumps or keeping a see saw on edge.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Honestly, from a game dev perspective, I think the most difficult part of making a map is trying to come up with a good idea. Like, I'm 10000% positive I could re-create a functional replica of Door Dash in like an hour. Slime Climb has a lot more going on with moving parts and slime zones, but still not too difficult. Depending on how big their team is, it's genuinely possible they could start cranking out stages

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Just did a round of Fall Ball where I ended up scoring four of the total goals in a 3-2 defeat.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It's a minor thing, but i'd love a patch fix for if/when you either qualify or get knocked out, the camera automatically defaults to the people in your party first so you can watch their progression.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
All the people on reddit and here complaining about see saw with "do people not understand basic physics? If you idiots all stand one side it's gonna tip the see saw", gimme a break.

Everything else on these courses is mechanical. It's not an insane assumption to initially think these are mechanical see saws that move independently.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I had honestly never got placed in the back row of See Saw before and holy poo poo now I know what everyones complaining about. I just couldn't do anything because of how skewed all the levers were, it's such a massive bottleneck where you can't move at all. I got stuck for so long I just quit the round and then next round it was SeeSaw again, but I got front row again, and I just cruised full-speed to an easy 2nd place finish

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

sometimes you get hosed over on see saw but its always the first or second game so it doesnt really matter, theyre just meatgrinders to thin the pack

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Haven't used my controller this much in a while. Got to quit slamming the thumbstick or I'm gonna get a bruise.

The other players are more dangerous than the course. Got eliminated SO many times because the &#$^ physics engine translates 'bump into player' as 'ragdoll helplessly for 2-3 seconds.' Really drat annoying. Can't even figure out how to do it intentionally.

Wish there was a custom mode, for setting up smaller tournaments. And a practice mode, so I can actually learn the dang crown race hill thingy, instead of some frontline dude snagging it while I'm halfway up.

Had a Lucioball soccer match go from a 1-3 deficit to a 4-3 last-second victory. That was sweet.

Closest I've gotten to winning was a 3rd place Hexagone finish. (Another map I want to practice; getting jump timing down on that would make it much easier.)

Climbing the ranks, 15 xp at a time...

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Cobalt-60 posted:

The other players are more dangerous than the course. Got eliminated SO many times because the &#$^ physics engine translates 'bump into player' as 'ragdoll helplessly for 2-3 seconds.' Really drat annoying. Can't even figure out how to do it intentionally.
I'm pretty sure if you get touched at all in midair you just ragdoll automatically. It can be frustrating but if you can't handle this then the game is not gonna be for you. The best preventative measure for this is to just get good with the dive. It seems to just preemptively ragdoll you forward, but you recover almost immediately. Makes it much less disruptive when you're trying to move in mobs of players, but sometimes you just get bounced around anyway. Minimizing what other people can do to you seems to be the name of the game as far as optimizing your movement.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

My new favourite thing on slime climb is pushing people off whilst they're on the rollers. It's so much easier than pushing them off at the end, and they have to go back to do a decent chunk of the course again. Got about half a dozen people off the last single roller before the slime got high enough for me to continue.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Looten Plunder posted:

All the people on reddit and here complaining about see saw with "do people not understand basic physics? If you idiots all stand one side it's gonna tip the see saw", gimme a break.

Everything else on these courses is mechanical. It's not an insane assumption to initially think these are mechanical see saws that move independently.
i literally saw fifteen people stuck on the same seesaw for upwards of a minuet because they kept swinging it one way than the other too fast

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

My proudest moment so far this game was finally completing Slime Climb a few days ago. That log section was screwing me over every time. :argh:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/423106747356413952/743077337699975278/c1f2f0c85f403d576644cc9c2e5e9b704d66935f.mp4

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uuuuuuuggggghhhh I feel this one in my soul.

Also whyyyy is the tail game not cumulative time? I had a round where I had a tail for most of the match and then had it stolen at the very last second :argh:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

What's y'all's crown count? I'm at ten.

Also getting a gold egg in soccer is messed up: https://clips.twitch.tv/ShakingYummyLapwingDoritosChip

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I wish there were more minigames like Slime Climb. Got it as the first game of my last round, there were 3 survivors.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

<FAKEDOORS>

I still haven't seem that map.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Slime climb is really the best map, it completely thins the pack immensely. It's amazing how bad people are at it. We need more like it.

Edit: they need to fix the net code or something. I feel like people are grabbing my tails off of me from obscene distances.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

anakha posted:

My proudest moment so far this game was finally completing Slime Climb a few days ago. That log section was screwing me over every time. :argh:

Yes oh my god I hate the yellow logs on slime climb