Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
God lunging without any latency feels so different, it's bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Bah now I feel like I wasted Blood Points leveling Meg first. Oh well. I'm sure it all helps.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Comfortador posted:

Bah now I feel like I wasted Blood Points leveling Meg first. Oh well. I'm sure it all helps.

Nah. Meg's still the best Baby's First Survivor combo platter, and Sprint Burst is way more flexible and reliable then Dead Hard. As said, you need a lot of awareness to make Dead Hard do it's job, and it can be outplayed in ways just running fast for four seconds cannot.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

A lot of times sprinting away will make a killer go "gently caress that" and look for someone easier.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Dead hard is the most overrated perk.

The best teachables for new survivors:
Iron Will from Jake
Windows of Opportunity from Kate
Alert from Feng

I would use one of those in every loadout.

The new Jill perk Resurgence is pretty good because a new survivor will end up on hook a lot.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Sprint Burst is good because it means there is no such thing for you as a dead zone. You just haul rear end to the pallet a few tiles over when the killer shows up.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

temple posted:

Dead hard is the most overrated perk.

The best teachables for new survivors:
Iron Will from Jake
Windows of Opportunity from Kate
Alert from Feng

I would use one of those in every loadout.

The new Jill perk Resurgence is pretty good because a new survivor will end up on hook a lot.

I mean at low levels dead hard is incredible. You can juke, escape and literally end a match just from winning a chase.

borracho
Sep 17, 2002

Oven Wrangler
I suggested leveling Meg first to my friends when they were new to DBD, as Sprint Burst and Adrenaline are very easy to use. Add Spine Chill and new players can focus on learning gen skill-check timing rather than panning their camera around looking for the killer (which usually results in a blown skill-check) or even worse being so immersed they hide in the corner. If the killer does come around, Sprint Burst away!

SetSliRol
Apr 30, 2021

"The power of the Marfalump idea is it's one, simple idea. It's not about Pepsi or Star Wars. It's about a character that loves both."
Anyone else just kind of feel...done playing Killer? I haven't had fun with it in a while, I just get repeatedly clowned on and my BP gain per match has hit a real low, but I can't get better add ons and stuff without it. I basically just spend two or three days playing Survivor on and off, grinding up BP for a few levels on a Killer, and then enter a match just to not have fun and get flashlight, pallet stunned and sweat'd into oblivion. Thankfully I know when to quit when I'm not having fun and I don't feel obligated to play this game at all, but...still, I don't feel like hitting up that side of the game for a while now.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Almost all exhaustion perks are viable for different reasons and mostly boil down to preference. I think the only truly below average ones are Head On, Smash Hit and Balanced Landing. The first two are for memeing on the killer and involve giving up lots of ground to stun and gain ground from there and Balanced Landing is always good.. if you can activate it. If you're on a map like Hawkins or caught in the wrong part of Coldwind, Autoyard, Mac Estates, Elms, Midwich etc then you're down a perk.

SetSliRol posted:

Anyone else just kind of feel...done playing Killer? I haven't had fun with it in a while, I just get repeatedly clowned on and my BP gain per match has hit a real low, but I can't get better add ons and stuff without it. I basically just spend two or three days playing Survivor on and off, grinding up BP for a few levels on a Killer, and then enter a match just to not have fun and get flashlight, pallet stunned and sweat'd into oblivion. Thankfully I know when to quit when I'm not having fun and I don't feel obligated to play this game at all, but...still, I don't feel like hitting up that side of the game for a while now.

You'll always feel lacking as killer without practice, you need a fair degree of focus at all times. I usually plan to lose my first game of the night because of it. Things are actually relatively balanced. The only real offenders are the current state of Keys, Brand New Parts and survivor bias spread spawns(i.e. starting the game on 3 gens instantly.) Lethal Pursuer just gave killers an enormously powerful tool to use if they want to brute force bad starts into workable ones.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I've received 0 pips regardless of match results since last night. Gonna need another 300k bp plz

Doomykins posted:

Almost all exhaustion perks are viable for different reasons and mostly boil down to preference. I think the only truly below average ones are Head On, Smash Hit and Balanced Landing. The first two are for memeing on the killer and involve giving up lots of ground to stun and gain ground from there and Balanced Landing is always good.. if you can activate it. If you're on a map like Hawkins or caught in the wrong part of Coldwind, Autoyard, Mac Estates, Elms, Midwich etc then you're down a perk.
I feel like Head On is better than most exhaustion perks, right behind DH and SB. Balanced, Lithe, Smash hit really don't even matter if you can loop. They are a waste of a slot. Smash hit is Lithe if you pallet stun and revault. Lithe and Balanced require planning and sometimes doesn't see value. Sprint burst and Dead hard are controllable to some degree. If there were better perks, you would see those probably fall out of favor. Head on lets you stun, which is better than nothing and has a lot of value with rescues. Quick and quiet + Head on is pretty good overall but most players don't have the courage to do it. But I'd say try it, it works better than you think.

temple fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 16, 2021

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Kill with bots is a wonderful start to a practice mode. I really have no idea why they couldn't let you choose your killer for that, just to get a feel for a killers base power at least.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Kill with bots is a wonderful start to a practice mode. I really have no idea why they couldn't let you choose your killer for that, just to get a feel for a killers base power at least.

Yeah, it would be nice to practice blinking without embarrassing myself and wasting people's time.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

DeathChicken posted:

Dead Hard is momentary invincibility in a game where being momentarily invincible means you can make it to a pallet, which probably links to another two windows and a jungle gym because this game is survivor sided as gently caress

Tell that to the 75% of the time when I Dead Hard and find myself exhausted on the fuckin ground

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

rydiafan posted:

Yeah, it would be nice to practice blinking without embarrassing myself and wasting people's time.

Heh I got DBD free with PS+ a year or so ago, but am playing it on PC. I've definitely loaded up a couple custom games against myself to practice. :D

temple
Jul 29, 2006

BHVR...

I thought about getting Leon's outfit but its not that different than his base outfit. Its a 1080 cell coat.

https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1405215754316914696

edit: oh yeah

https://twitter.com/deadbybhvr/status/1405272471100555264?s=21

temple fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 16, 2021

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

The Berzerker posted:

Tell that to the 75% of the time when I Dead Hard and find myself exhausted on the fuckin ground

I call that the ps4 30 FPS special.

Newbie perk chat: Dead Hard is an amazing perk the value of which is completely lost on a newbie. As a newbie, your biggest, longest task is learning how to loop, and how to lose killers. Lithe, lightweight, windows of opportunity, borrowed time, quick and quiet, spine chill, decisive strike, iron will, all have basic usage and teach newbie survivors the base of the game flow, and help prolong chases against appropriately opposite lowbie killers.

After they understand how things work, after they've been chased and looped, and most importantly, played some killer games to see it from the other side, THEN they have the tools to understand HOW and when to use Dead Hard, Sprint Burst, Unbreakable, Soul Guard, and even Self Care, and other very powerful tools like Adrenaline and Deliverance.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dead Hard is incredibly strong, not for it's actual idea of "Go through a hit" but because it gives you a free jolt of distance to reach a pallet or something else.

"Dead Hard for distance" being remarked in a mostly derisive way is thanks to that.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Outside of the invulnerability wouldn't Sprint Burst be better cause you don't need to be hurt for it?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Comfortador posted:

Outside of the invulnerability wouldn't Sprint Burst be better cause you don't need to be hurt for it?

Sprint Burst makes you need to watch when it's actually used and down, it's usually just a get away after getting caught crab walking for a lot of the rest of the time, Dead Hard lets you run around as usual, then get the jump forward when needed.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I recommend just burning the sprint burst and running to a gen. It's usually not worth wasting time walking/crouching around. You'll get your sprint burst back soon enough when repairing.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Sprint Burst is up there with Self Care in the "newbies gently caress over everyone else on their team by using it wrong" category.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Man idk what it was tonight but apparently people really hate it when you face them as Legion and dont fold immediately

basically every game I ran tonight ended with someone cursing me out specifically because I was Legion lol

Should probably start building someone like Ghosty but I'm just having a lot of fun pinballing around because survivors cant help themselves from grouping up :3:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm still newish to the game and been leveling survivors for perks, I know how to use sprint burst, but gently caress if it isn't irritating that I have to blow it if i want to run while outside of a chase.

It should be a QOL thing to make it only trigger when in a chase, because having to give up a survivability perk to be able to run to a dumbass who got himself hooked leaves me up a creek when I unhook them, and if I don't run, no one else on the team will go there.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

rydiafan posted:

Sprint Burst is up there with Self Care in the "newbies gently caress over everyone else on their team by using it wrong" category.

When I'm solo q starting back the only thing I can depend on to not get hooked is self care, cause it sure as hell isn't my looping yet, but it'll get there.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

You gain back your Sprint Burst while you're doing gens. In practice if you run to gens, you'll rarely ever be without it unless you get really unlucky with a killer stumbling on you (or they're running Mindbreaker)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

tithin posted:

It should be a QOL thing to make it only trigger when in a chase

Please no, there's better but Sprint Burst is still already a goofy free escape/chase lengthen lol, it'd be in every single loadout if it did that.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Sprint burst is better against every killer, even 1 hitters like Bubba or Oni. Nurse and spirit are the major exceptions. Against spirit, idk, I doubt dead hard really matters as much. Nurse, dead hard is flat out better than SB. But I'd say iron will and urban evasion (edit: lucky break too) helps with juking a nurse more consistently. I only argue this because dead hard gets the reputation as "invincibility" like DS did. DH has the same problem as DS in that good players know how to milk it for value. Most people either don't get a DH off in time or get dead zoned so DH won't save them anyway. The psychology of almost getting a down and someone using DH drives killers crazy when DH is rarely that big of a deal. Someone looping your rear end off is bad enough, DH rubs it in. You would get juiced either way. Its easier to blame the perk than acknowledge the player that's beating you.

If they ever wanted to fix DH, they would reverse the activation to be for healthy only. That way killers won't feel cheated when they almost get a down. It should be simple escape tool instead of the blame for someone losing.

I've forgone exhaustion perks to learn how to loop better. Perks can carry you only so far and its paying off.

temple fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 17, 2021

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

temple posted:

If they ever wanted to fix DH, they would reverse the activation to be for healthy only. That way killers won't feel cheated when they almost get a down. It should be simple escape tool instead of the blame for someone losing.

I've forgone exhaustion perks to learn how to loop better. Perks can carry you only so far and its paying off.

Nah it would lose massive value then, most of why dead hard is so prevalent is that you can use it to unhook when you're wounded and to escape hits when you're being picked up or unhooked with the killer present, especially in conjuction with Borrowed Time. It is more or less THE anti tunneling perk.

The second point is valid, but it won't help you learn to loop better if you go down between tiles because you couldn't Dead Hard to the pallet in between either so.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

anyone able to recommend a good streamer who only focuses on myers?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Jesus, I've lost my last 8 matches in a row, and only one of them wasn't a 4k. No matter what perks or strategies I use, if a killer wants me dead, I'm dead. I even tried decisive strike, but it's literally a "while this skill is active, become completely useless to your team for 60 seconds and pray the killer doesn't just slug you". I'm almost always the first to die, or in matches where I'm not, get instakilled by some special perk or addon that allows that.

Every killer and their mom seems to have some sort of way to make using windows and pallets pointless, and that's before you include the ability to just hit survivors through them even if they are well out of range or already started the pallet drop.

I'm consistently seeing matches where most of the survivors get less than 10,000 BP, and no matter how bad killers do, they never walk away with anything less than 20K unless they really hosed up hard or they face camped the entire game. I don't understand how people in this thread say the game is inherently biased toward survivors, throughout my entire playtime so far, I've seen nothing but the opposite even when looking at videos of high-level play. This game appears to be inherently designed to have at least some of the survivors in a given match get completely shat on, and either get to have their fun and play time cut drastically short, get almost no points progress, or both.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Umbreon posted:

Jesus, I've lost my last 8 matches in a row, and only one of them wasn't a 4k. No matter what perks or strategies I use, if a killer wants me dead, I'm dead. I even tried decisive strike, but it's literally a "while this skill is active, become completely useless to your team for 60 seconds and pray the killer doesn't just slug you". I'm almost always the first to die, or in matches where I'm not, get instakilled by some special perk or addon that allows that.

Every killer and their mom seems to have some sort of way to make using windows and pallets pointless, and that's before you include the ability to just hit survivors through them even if they are well out of range or already started the pallet drop.

I'm consistently seeing matches where most of the survivors get less than 10,000 BP, and no matter how bad killers do, they never walk away with anything less than 20K unless they really hosed up hard or they face camped the entire game. I don't understand how people in this thread say the game is inherently biased toward survivors, throughout my entire playtime so far, I've seen nothing but the opposite even when looking at videos of high-level play. This game appears to be inherently designed to have at least some of the survivors in a given match get completely shat on, and either get to have their fun and play time cut drastically short, get almost no points progress, or both.

Yeah I'm total garbage on both sides of the fence and I get double the points on a killer even when I let everyone go.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Survivor side bias comes from the design of the game. If 4 people work 4 gens in 4 different corners(or even just sufficient spread locations) then 90% of killers can expect to lose 2-3 generators before their second hook when the game goes poorly. There's also the elephant in BHVR's room of not adjusting Brand New Part and Keys after (correctly) reducing killer moris to a novelty item. If you think killers are too strong now imagine when they could remove 40% of the game time from each survivor at will. At high level of survivor play the killer is the weak one in many cases and many learning killers get shoved into this scenario unfairly because of the needs of match making. After a few minutes the game says "need any killer" and many of us have broken our teeth and learned the hard way against red ranks from as early as our green ranks.

quote:

Every killer and their mom seems to have some sort of way to make using windows and pallets pointless,

Part of the game is learning killer by killer match ups. I strongly suggest playing both sides as well, you want to know what and how killers see the game so you can use it against them.

If you've just started the game you're experiencing the expected power curve. Ranks 20-15 usually see the killer as unstoppable: survivors make constant mistakes they aren't even aware of and are a joke to track, they can't loop so they get downed fast, and from there they usually get punished for being altruistic making it easy for the killer to mop up. It gets better around mid ranks when people stop being genuinely afraid of the killer and by purple rank it's easy for the killer to get routinely blown out for subpar or even average play. There's a point where survivors will have 90-100% skill check success rate for example that completely shifts the design of the game away from the killer, who is expected for a long part(Ranks 20-10+) to get a few novelty info pings and some generator regression from failed checks. Survivors will realize that dull bones are mostly optional, treasure is optional, the basement is optional, just do the gens and shut the game out in 4-5 minutes. One good looper against a learning killer with a mediocre start is death. The best killers in the game will often lament in their hard games that they literally can't spare the time to pick up and hook a survivor. The time crunch is real.

That isn't to say your points aren't valid. Many killers have cruel habits and the game encourages them. Camping works wonderfully(especially on the likes of Bubba) if it encourages foolish altruism, the optimal killer strategy at all skill levels is to kill the 4th person as fast as possible to hamstring available survivor actions, the DS nerf means there's almost never a penalty to tunneling. It's the nature of the game and why DbD is a real love-hate play. There's no in game suggestion or documentation to killers that maybe it isn't fun for people to get badly unhooked and immediately rehooked because their teammate misplayed.

Perks won't help you in escaping a killer as much as learning to loop. If you can identify a 2 L-Wall With Windows tile or draw out a chase on the shack you're far more likely to get the killer to drop the chase then if you have Decisive, Dead Hard, Adrenaline and Borrowed Time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Is there some perk that makes survivors invulnerable when unhooking someone? I just had a match with really, really bad survivors (as killer) and without fail every time I hooked someone a dude would run right up and unhook them before I even moved, which of course led to another knockdown. I'm wondering if they thought they were doing something else, or if they were just really dumb?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Doomykins posted:

Survivor side bias comes from the design of the game. If 4 people work 4 gens in 4 different corners(or even just sufficient spread locations) then 90% of killers can expect to lose 2-3 generators before their second hook when the game goes poorly. There's also the elephant in BHVR's room of not adjusting Brand New Part and Keys after (correctly) reducing killer moris to a novelty item
BNP is nerfed.

Umbreon posted:

Survivors are never buffed, killers are always buffed.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Possible they were doing the Borrowed Time tome archive for unhooks in the killer's terror radius and just being real unsubtle about it, if you mean you were knocking down the guy who unhooked. otherwise they're just bad/new/really thirstin for BP and not giving a gently caress about the team

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Blasmeister posted:

Possible they were doing the Borrowed Time tome archive for unhooks in the killer's terror radius and just being real unsubtle about it, if you mean you were knocking down the guy who unhooked. otherwise they're just bad/new/really thirstin for BP and not giving a gently caress about the team

No I was getting the guy who was trying to unhook/had just done the unhooking depending on how close I was. One dude literally walked toward the hook with me in between and got a knock on the noggin.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That sounds like they probably had one of those "Unhook X amount of survivors" dailies and just didn't give a gently caress. Those don't even have to be safe unhooks, you just have to get someone off the hook

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

tithin posted:

anyone able to recommend a good streamer who only focuses on myers?

thecoolmikeshow and one_stalky_boi

Cool Mike is a lot of fun, with skits and stuff that he plays between matches. He also mostly plays Scratched Mirror for the jump scares. Stalky Boi is more straightforward, with "normal" gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Doomykins posted:

Survivor side bias comes from the design of the game. If 4 people work 4 gens in 4 different corners(or even just sufficient spread locations) then 90% of killers can expect to lose 2-3 generators before their second hook when the game goes poorly.

How? There are a number of perks that literally make that impossible(Like Corrupt Intervention), and that assumes the survivors didn't all spawn together/near each other/far away from gens. On indoor maps people can struggle just finding the gens in the first place, much less rushing them and also getting the killer to not notice them.

Doomykins posted:

If you've just started the game you're experiencing the expected power curve. Ranks 20-15 usually see the killer as unstoppable:
My highest rank was 3, but the loss streaks I've been getting slammed by have me about to depip to 6. Yeah, new killers who literally do everything wrong and are completely clueless are easy to beat, but if they have even half a clue on what theyre doing, they can kill whoever they want. So what if they don't get a 4k? They still walk away with a boatload of BP, and probably a pip, whereas as a survivor, if you died anywhere that wasnt at the very end of the match, say hello to your 9k BP and a depip unless youre lucky enough to not get tunneled and get a safety pip.

Doomykins posted:

Survivors will realize that dull bones are mostly optional, treasure is optional, the basement is optional, just do the gens and shut the game out in 4-5 minutes.

Are you a rank 1 with 2k hours or something? At ranks 3 and 4 I routinely see people doing chests, dull bones, and self caring with 2 people slugged and 0 gens done. Like what I say routinely I want to say close to 40-50% of my matches, and that's been the case since I started playing this game. I don't disbelieve you when you say it gets better, but so far, I've yet to see it get any better than "a lot of the time"

Doomykins posted:

The best killers in the game will often lament in their hard games that they literally can't spare the time to pick up and hook a survivor. The time crunch is real.

The same ones who post 50-100 win streaks and stuff like that? Hell come to think of it, I've never seen a survivor main post a 50-100 win streak, do those exist?

Doomykins posted:

Perks won't help you in escaping a killer as much as learning to loop.

From what I understand in other forums/discords about this game, telling a survivor main to learn how to loop is like saying to "git gud". You know what? Sure, I believe you, but how exactly do you even practice looping? Tiles are randomized, maps are randomized, the killer you will face and what they can do about your options are all randomized. And to top it all off, the only "practice" you can get requires actual killers chasing you. Running around in an empty custom match(assuming you have someone to help you start one) teaches you almost nothing of value, any patterns you can learn will at best apply to specific tiles and tells you nothing about how to deal with any particular killer, their possible mindgames, or what to do based on your perks and theirs. For a survivor, any mistake made AT ALL during a chase means theyre getting hooked, and a killer making a mistake or guessing wrong on a mindgame just hands the survivor a few more seconds to live. Killers can afford to make shitloads of mistakes and have lots of opportunities to learn and practice, while survivors can afford to make 1-6 chase mistakes during a match before they don't get to play anymore, depending on the killers perks and what the team does to help.

(And speaking of which, what in god's name was BHVR smoking when they decided that there can be perks and killer abilities/addons that can just instantly kill someone regardless of how many hooks or downs they have? Even if that's rare/hard to do, getting hit by one of those is loving awful and insanely unfun)

EDIT:

temple posted:

Survivors are never buffed, killers are always buffed.

Ok hold up, I refuse to believe that's true. For however much this thread complains about the game being survivor biased, there's no way that survivors are never buffed. They have to get buffed at least sometimes, right?