Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I don't understand how this game can be so old and yet they have not dealt with the bloodpoint requirements issue. I am not going to put hundreds of hours into your game, maybe 100 if you're lucky, make bloodpoints wildly easier to get or lower the cost of everything by 50%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shammypants posted:

I don't understand how this game can be so old and yet they have not dealt with the bloodpoint requirements issue. I am not going to put hundreds of hours into your game, maybe 100 if you're lucky, make bloodpoints wildly easier to get or lower the cost of everything by 50%.

It's purposefully built that way to inspire hobby level play, where it's your 'main' game. Among other reasons, probably.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Orv posted:

It's purposefully built that way to inspire hobby level play, where it's your 'main' game. Among other reasons, probably.

No, they want people to buy DLC that comes with bloodpoints, among other things. It's actually offensive how stupidly priced leveling to 50 is, let alone having to do it 10+ times.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
DLC never carries bloodpoints.

You don't compulsively need every perk to function. Any survivor and killer can make a good starter set out of their innate 3 and perks.

Don't actually P3 unless you absolutely need that cosmetic for your look.

The grind is still bullshit.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Shammypants posted:

No, they want people to buy DLC that comes with bloodpoints, among other things. It's actually offensive how stupidly priced leveling to 50 is, let alone having to do it 10+ times.

Does the DLC even come with Bloodpoints? I ended up buying pretty much anythign and don't remember getting bloodpoints with any purchases.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shammypants posted:

You can't buy bloodpoints for real money, unless you wanna do some weird math about how you get shards and turn them into BP.

Like yes, the grind is loving terrible and unequivocally the worst part of the game as they start to actually change and rework bad old parts, but no.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
P3 everyone and everything. You get extremely slight boosts to your addon rarity, which is obviously the most important game changing thing.

BP costs are loving dumb, yeah, and they need to just eliminate the first two tiers of all perks because they're not even balancing poo poo around them, but you should feel comfortable playing your character without the best most meta build. If you aren't then that's usually a sign you need more focused practice than you need the top perks.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
It seems like you either SWF4x or you solo queue, me and a compadre did like 4+ matches where we got queued with loving terrible, or selfish assholes hiding in lockers, or just not doing gens. It really sucked the wind out of the playing experience.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Doomykins posted:

DLC never carries bloodpoints.

You’re right for a funny reason. Both times I bought a DLC they messed it up so badly they gave free blood points as an apology. I assumed it came with the pack. That actually makes it far worse and even more stupid.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the solution, as always, is to play more bubba

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One of the DBD guys I like to watch had the most odd game where he was playing Doctor and the survivors were all David, two each of the shirtless skins. Three of them had TTV or something like that in their handle. They might have been SWF but it was more like they were all doing some weird bit that the Doc just had no time for because he wanted to play the video game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Got back into this with the res evil update and I'm loving Nemesis. There's something really satisfying about infecting a survivor as they vault to the lower floor on a map and a zombie to hit them the second they touch down, downing them for me.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Umbreon posted:

Man, I'm on the verge of uninstalling from how many matches in a row where I just get teammates who refuse to loving do gens ever and leave me to die on the hook. Tunneling killers are bad enough, watching the killer tunnel you while your teammates are looking through chests and taking down dull bones just salts the wound when you die on first hook. I didn't even know it was possible to get iridescent evader while dying first with only 2 gens done
Depends on rank and time of day. NA East, day time is fast matches and people playing to win. Night time is random hours with rainbow ranks.

You gotta learn to deal with it and leave matches by hook or gate. I kinda miss low rank dumb matches because that's where I get to interact with killers. At high ranks, its sweat for 5 minutes and hope you aren't the last hook.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Umbreon posted:

Man, I'm on the verge of uninstalling from how many matches in a row where I just get teammates who refuse to loving do gens ever and leave me to die on the hook. Tunneling killers are bad enough, watching the killer tunnel you while your teammates are looking through chests and taking down dull bones just salts the wound when you die on first hook. I didn't even know it was possible to get iridescent evader while dying first with only 2 gens done

I have over 500 hours played according to Steam across both killer and solo-Q survivor, and crappy survivor time management is the cause of pretty much 95% of my survivor deaths. I always run either Kindred or Bond to keep a track of what the other survivors are up to and it's not even dull totems or chests that are the problem, it's the part where "hiding in a bush watching the killer chase someone else" always beats out gen-touching for time spent.

The biggest skill-jump for newbies isn't even about good looping or anything IMO, it's just internalizing the facts that (1) there's only one killer player in the game, and (2) that killer can only do one thing at a time. Is the killer chasing/hooking someone somewhere, something survivors can usually tell just from watching the status indicators change on their HUD? Then the killer can't ALSO chase you off a gen or stop you from unhooking/healing someone, can they? And yet I can loop the killer for minutes without a single gen popping, and the person I unhook will run halfway across the map before letting me heal them as if the killer is going to drop an active chase to come check the hook and see if we're still there.

Aside from Kindred, if you're getting really tilted by solo-queue I'd recommend running Spine Chill. If you keep getting killer aggro from being the only person actually doing your job, you might as well run the perk that lets you just bail before the killer gets there.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 21, 2021

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah, the biggest advice I always give new survivor players is to stop playing scared of the killer. That's the moment you start getting better at the game. Hiding in a bush gets you better at hiding in a bush. Getting chased actually develops your skills in learning routes, looping, mind-gaming, etc. - generally speaking survivors at lower ranks need to play more aggressively, either to put pressure on the killer to just get better at the game. (Note: getting so aggressive that you take hits for no reason and chase the killer around clicking a flashlight is not what I mean)

e: that and you should play a bit as killer to understand their FOV and other constraints. So many baby survivors run behind a tree at the edge of the map and are then surprised to be found, not understanding what scratch marks are etc., it's kind of wild.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Your teammates were probably not being malicious and assumed someone else was going for the hook. I definitely agree that Kindred will help with that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thanks to whichever goon recommended TheCoolMikeShow. He’s got a pretty entertaining stream.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah, the biggest advice I always give new survivor players is to stop playing scared of the killer. That's the moment you start getting better at the game. Hiding in a bush gets you better at hiding in a bush. Getting chased actually develops your skills in learning routes, looping, mind-gaming, etc. - generally speaking survivors at lower ranks need to play more aggressively, either to put pressure on the killer to just get better at the game. (Note: getting so aggressive that you take hits for no reason and chase the killer around clicking a flashlight is not what I mean)

e: that and you should play a bit as killer to understand their FOV and other constraints. So many baby survivors run behind a tree at the edge of the map and are then surprised to be found, not understanding what scratch marks are etc., it's kind of wild.

I think it was TrueTalent who hit the nail on the head when he said, "newbie survivors wait for the killer to get them, experienced survivors wait for the killer to get to them".

As a killer the game loses some of it's appeal as a boogey-man simulator when this skill level is reached, survivors will clown around you with zero mortal fear.

But that simply means you're able to beat the fear back into experienced and hardened players, a different kind of fun.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah, it's an inverted bell curve of feeling like a badass playing killer. Low level they're all scared of you, mid level they bully you, then you get good enough to bully the bullies and you feel like this:

https://youtu.be/5U8scp5J9Is

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm getting slightly better on both sides of the fence, but I think I still prefer killer for solo play. I did really, really bag with survivor yesterday and it's depressing getting less than 10k points per match when I can go grab Bubba or Pyramid Head and get 20k minimum as long as I get a hook or two.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
speaking of bloodpoints, I find the dailies really frustrating - if there's 4 times as many survivors in a match as killers, why do the dailies feel 50/50 survivor/killer? Killer queues are already murderous and the dailies just make it worse.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I really wish they'd let you pick which side to reroll your daily for, at a minimum.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah, as someone who has all survivors and killers but only actually plays like, 4 killers, my dailies are always full of bullshit I will never do.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Same. I'd play killer a lot more if I could get loving perks for them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I like that the killer rituals range from "Hit 3 survivors with your basic attack" to "Hook all 4 survivors 3 times in one match while there is a blood moon and the temperature is between 72 and 75 degrees"

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Medullah posted:

"Hook all 4 survivors 3 times in one match while there is a blood moon and the temperature is between 72 and 75 degrees"

I hate that one

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
You guys can have all of mine, despite only playing survivor I have only killer dailies and have only been getting them for the last 2 days

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The ratio to me feels much more like 4 or 5 killer dailies to one survivor daily. I'm currently sitting on a Yahtzee of Blight dailies to unload on next time I log in, while I think the last time I saw a Survivor-related daily is something like two weeks ago.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, all killer dailies today.

Also tonight has been miserable. Lots of people dc'ing. I want to play the game but either I'm the one getting tunneled out of the game/fed to the killer inside of one minute of play, or my teammates are leaving the game and giving me nothing to work with.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Everyone is DCing today because they removed the penalty due to widespread connection issues this patch.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I just played my very first game! I was the killer, and didn't do well at all. Then I was called a gay rear end loser and told to kill my self in the postgame chat. Solid game, would play again (which I did)!

Orv
May 4, 2011
Accurate first impression tbh

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mr. Locke posted:

The ratio to me feels much more like 4 or 5 killer dailies to one survivor daily. I'm currently sitting on a Yahtzee of Blight dailies to unload on next time I log in, while I think the last time I saw a Survivor-related daily is something like two weeks ago.

I thought the Rituals were killer only, I just saw my first survivor one yesterday. I wonder if it's tied to what you play more.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Medullah posted:

I thought the Rituals were killer only, I just saw my first survivor one yesterday. I wonder if it's tied to what you play more.

Its not. I get killer rituals all the time when I barely play killer. I've thought that rituals are preset and it rolls out challenges until they are filled. I get a bunch of killers ones then bunch of survivor ones. But it skews killer.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Maybe they skew it to incentivize playing killer because of the killer shortage

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

My daily today was with Freddy. Blood Warden is a really cool perk, without it I would have never known that all 4 survivors were sitting in the the exit gate teabagging waiting for me to show up!

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Danknificent posted:

Maybe they skew it to incentivize playing killer because of the killer shortage

Killer queues are still twice as long for me as survivor queues.

Edit: I canceled a queue for Killer that was taking close 10 minutes. I had a survivor match in less than 3.

Comfortador fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 22, 2021

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
As a killer main, the matches since the update have been absolute horseshit.

Queues take forever, survivors are DC'ing like crazy and they hosed Franklin's which was one of my favorite perks.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Against anything except keys new Franklin's is strictly better. It starts draining charges instantly, so anything they pick back up has been screwed, and anything that stays on the ground long enough that old Franklin's would have deleted it will be empty anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Don’t keys have charges?