Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

The Berzerker posted:

I hate playing against Hag more than anything but I definitely don't enjoy playing against any killer that fucks up my screen, so Doctor, Plague, even Pyramid Head and Legion to some extent are annoying. Leave my screen alone!

According to the lead balancing developer, hag is the most successful killer at the highest level of play. She was frequently banned in the recent Japanese tournament. Her only real counter is object of obsessions', which will be gutted soon. And even then, if you have her teleport key binded to your scroll wheel disarming the traps is almost a futile attempt. She has a few completely broken addons which nobody ever uses, since almost nobody ever plays her.

The tryhards are too busy with braindead killers like spirit or huntress or freddy I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ah yes Spirit and Huntress, famously easy killers to play.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Hag has a very boring campy playstyle, and there's a fair amount of social pressure not to play that way even if (or, alternately, because) it is very effective. Also, her teleports are annoyingly disorienting. She's never going to be a popular killer despite being incredibly good.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

marshmallow creep posted:

BBQ and Chili is the usual recommendation, and when I play survivor I tend to play with the assumption every killer is running it.

Since I don't have BBQ and Chili, I have found I really like Spies from the Shadows.

I ran Spies from the Shadows because of an Archives challenge and found that I actually really like it. One game I played earlier the Survivors were panicking and being really sloppy, so the crows kept pinging like a radar scanner keeping me on their trail. They also kept healing or vaulting in the same room, so I essentially had a buffet of blood orbs ready all in one place I could hoover up for instant Blood Fury on demand. :v:

Their Bill basically gave up and walked up to me to be killed (also never struggled when I carried him before), but I was feeling generous so I picked him up and put him down right next to the escape hatch and gestured for him to escape. :shobon:

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Cease to Hope posted:

Hag has a very boring campy playstyle, and there's a fair amount of social pressure not to play that way even if (or, alternately, because) it is very effective. Also, her teleports are annoyingly disorienting. She's never going to be a popular killer despite being incredibly good.

Watching Elix play hag is the DBD version of those aikido master showcases where some old Japanese dude lightly moves his palm and 4 dudes flip up in the air and directly onto hooks.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I've been playing a little bit of Survivor as a newbie Dwight and holy gently caress I managed to completely bamboozle a Huntress on the Myers' map:

Right at the end as the gates were opened, I was on my second hook and it was just a clusterfuck of people trying to unhook me and dodge the Huntress. She manages to slug me immediately after I get unhooked and goes off to taunt the other 3 at the gate since she was being a little toxic throughout the match.

While her back was turned, I crawled off to the grass on the right side of the pedestal inside the exit gate. She turns back around to go pick me up but obviously doesn't me find me at the hook. She goes back and forth, scanning the gate entrance and going off to see if I'm crawling towards the escape hatch.

I managed to Solid Snake my way around the pedestal as she ran past and waited for a bit on the opposite side to make sure she's taken attention off of the gate then I make my move and crawl my way towards freedom. Holy poo poo, talk about an exhilarating experience! My heart was pounding so hard! :aaaaa:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I have only played Hag a few times for challenges, and every time it felt like I was using a cheat code.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

marshmallow creep posted:

I have only played Hag a few times for challenges, and every time it felt like I was using a cheat code.

Try rusty shackles. It's potentially the most broken thing in the game assuming you have good map knowledge. I get more gen grabs using rusty shackles than any other killer.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
https://twitter.com/OtzdarvaYT/status/1368551774479654918

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Is the Devout emblem broken? I got 11/12 hooks (one person wriggled their way to death early), 0 penalties, and I ended up with a silver.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Is it normal for Survivors to start a match already injured? I noticed some weird fuckery in a recent match with Survivors like that plus suddenly dodging a swing at the last second in my POV as if they were being "squeezed" out of the way; felt like they were hacking but couldn't tell for sure.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Sounds like you’re describing No Mither and Dead Hard there

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Is it normal for Survivors to start a match already injured? I noticed some weird fuckery in a recent match with Survivors like that plus suddenly dodging a swing at the last second in my POV as if they were being "squeezed" out of the way; felt like they were hacking but couldn't tell for sure.

That's the effect of two of David's perks, although you will see them on other survivors too.

No Mither makes the survivor start every match injured with no way to heal. In return it gives them a bunch of benefits, chiefly getting up when slugged without help, but it's widely considered to be a trash perk for joke builds. You'll usually only see it on newbies or people going for the Adept David achievement.

Dead Hard gives the survivor an iframe dash on a long-ish cooldown, but they can only use it when injured. This is extremely strong, one of the most popular survivor perks, and as a killer you'll need to learn to play around it. (I suggest counting to two aloud before swinging at injured survivors; almost nobody is patient enough to wait that long.) It's safe to just assume that any survivor that doesn't have the speed burst from Sprint Burst/Lithe/Balanced Landing is running DH.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Generally you can bait the Dead Hard just by getting really close to them. If they're heading for another loop it can sometimes give them the extra time they need, but often times they're counting on a killer doing a lunge which gives them extra time on top of the Dead Hard from the lunge recovery period. If you bait it without swinging, you can usually follow up pretty quick with a successful lunge.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Any character that has an animation that kind of looks like attack but can be cancelled can also be used to bait it out, like Wraith ringing his bell. You're not going to find too many people who are that patient with it when you get up close though.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

https://v.redd.it/p3grw7yoryl61/DASH_720.mp4

https://v.redd.it/st0bbqoiwvl61/DASH_1080.mp4

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 9, 2021

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I'm supposed to get 4 basement sacrifices in one match for this challenge. This feels really hard. Any suggestions?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

The Bramble posted:

I'm supposed to get 4 basement sacrifices in one match for this challenge. This feels really hard. Any suggestions?

Agitation Insidious Territorial Imperative Corrupt Intervention Bubba with chilis on Red Forest, camp the basement from the top hole drop.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
An afk crow spawned on my head while I was stuck crouching behind a piece of debris while I watched in horror as a nurse with noed facecamp someone. I'm surprised it spawned so quickly while clearly not being afk (being crouched and moving my camera).

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Was trying Otz's build of Devour Hope/Ruin/Undying/Thill of the Hunt on Pig and yikes, that poo poo is dirty. They slammed a couple of gens immediately, then started on totems. I was on them, they got greedy insisting those totems were going down, and then I was at 5 Devour stacks. Finally they got rid of it, but whoops, they still had Ruin to deal with.

I imagine it would work even better with someone like Blight who can rush the totems as soon as they light up.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
With Blight you kinda expect him to have undying. So people either do totems first or ignore them. Survivors generally will do totems if they think they are dangerous to keep up. That's why corrupt intervention and ruin don't synergize well, because people are more likely to notice or do totems when otherwise not.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DeathChicken posted:

Was trying Otz's build of Devour Hope/Ruin/Undying/Thill of the Hunt on Pig and yikes, that poo poo is dirty. They slammed a couple of gens immediately, then started on totems. I was on them, they got greedy insisting those totems were going down, and then I was at 5 Devour stacks. Finally they got rid of it, but whoops, they still had Ruin to deal with.

I imagine it would work even better with someone like Blight who can rush the totems as soon as they light up.

Blight is just a better killer, but the build is nastier with pig because she can sneak up on survivors doing totems, and her traps add an extra objective for survivors to entertain themselves with besides totems.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
i guess people don't play against a lot of oni
https://i.imgur.com/3vRACRI.mp4

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

https://i.imgur.com/eqUOslE.mp4

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 11, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

So did they like triple the pallets on the dumb doctor map last patch somehow or something, I swear to god every time I've seen someone on that map, it feels like there's thirty pallets and few of them unsafe, it's awful looking.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I swear this game is a modern version of the Stanford Experiment. Match with me as Legion on Gideon's. I start chasing a Meg, who camps each and every one of the 10,000 safe pallets while clicking her flashlight. So I decide she's going to die at the exclusion of all else. Eventually I do run her down, and meanwhile there's a Kate who just keeps running into me with her face, taking a hit, running off and getting healed. I actually felt bad for her and wasn't even going to tunnel once I hooked her. Then she goes from BT to jumping in a locker to DS. I found at the end of the match she had Soul Guard too so being terrible was entirely the plan going in.

Ended up chasing her down too, and of course there were no hooks nearby. I wasn't about to let her escape after all that, so I ended up letting her rear end bleed out on the floor, and then managed to make it a 3K when her buddies came plowing in for the save. They had one gen left this entire time, they reasonably could have won while I was busying myself with Meg, but no.

Like, I don't *want* to be lovely to you people but what do you expect

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I've logged in here and there to get the company script, but I haven't played a real match in probably a month or so.

My first match back then was an introduction to the a) horrible new animations b) weird new interface c) wild overcompensation of pallets on The Game

With all the above I had no choice but to "nope" out. I miss the intensity of the matches, but it's a whole new ballgame now.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

TGLT posted:

i guess people don't play against a lot of oni
https://i.imgur.com/3vRACRI.mp4

Good job playing one of the strongest killers with one of the most broken addons in the game?

These forums are literally more braindead than the actual DBD forums. How far SA has fallen.

And no DS, so you know this like 95% probably happening at some bullshit rank.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Apple2o posted:

Good job playing one of the strongest killers with one of the most broken addons in the game?

These forums are literally more braindead than the actual DBD forums. How far SA has fallen.

stop posting

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Apple2o posted:

what no i posted this as a demonstration of my extreme skill so everyone knows i've actually got a huge dick, in real life, as proved by my skill with oni against these inexperienced players turbogod survivors

i can't believe i've been called out. i'm hex:ruined!!!!

TGLT fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 12, 2021

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
So I just started the game and have been running Sprint, Adrenaline, Spine Chill, and Dark Sense. I am trying to figure out what other survivor to level to give me an additional perk that helps with looping and chases since I want to get better at it.

Any advice?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Ramba Ral posted:

So I just started the game and have been running Sprint, Adrenaline, Spine Chill, and Dark Sense. I am trying to figure out what other survivor to level to give me an additional perk that helps with looping and chases since I want to get better at it.

Any advice?

3 of those 4 perks are great so you’re making a good start. Consider Kindred over Dark Sense from the starter perks, it’s a more useful info perk especially when running solo.

This video from Otzdarva below covers a lot of what you’re asking re:who to level up first in what order. He suggests Bill as a solid choice to level next for Unbreakable and Borrowed Time

Sprint burst is probably fine on its own for evading the killer, the other perks commonly used for chase (dead hard, lithe, balanced landing) also use the exhaustion mechanic, so would not pair well with it. If you have Kate (from the clown dlc), a good perk that doesn’t use exhaustion but will help you in chase is Windows of Opportunity, knowing exactly where the closest windows and pallets are at all times is great and especially so for people learning the maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40LMS3Sktcs

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 12, 2021

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Also a common bad habit is trying to save Sprint Burst by walking around the map and only running if you see the killer. Try not to do that, just run whenever it's up. You'll get your exhaustion back while doing gens, so you'll get a lot more use out of it burning it to cover ground.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Yeah, unless the gen spawned right in front of me, I do use Sprint Burst to move around quicker regardless if it is up or not and not trying to save it only for the Killer fight.

I dropped Kindred originally because I kept getting depressed when I see my whole team go in to rescue the one survivor being camped by the hook and the other two characters get hooked along with the original one. It was like, oh, I guess I am going to scramble to find the Hatch and it won't happen. Except I am still new and will have to luck myself on hoping on getting the gate open.

Yeah, I saw Otz video especially when trying to understand how some Killer's work since even during his regular play he gives good advice on the mechanics of it, which helped. He's also a real joy to watch as the guy is chill and very informative to watch.

Kate perks sounds good and I think I'll be going towards that then since it seems like I can use it

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I used Windows of Opportunity. It teaches the pattern of pallet spawns on maps. Its consistent and really shows if you had a chance or not. Sometimes, there aren't any pallets and you are screwed. Sprint Burst is the best exhausion perk imo. Dead Hard helps against Nurse and sometimes Huntress/Deathslinger. Sprint Burst works on everyone else. Particularly against killers with 1 hit downs. Kindred is good but I try to play without it. I've noticed that below red ranks, it doesn't help. People play bad no matter what. I use it for my benefit to see who the killer is and where they are headed. Iron Will is considered pretty good by most people's standard. It lets you do things not possible any other way. Some people see it as a stealth perk (i.e. waste of time) but I love it in general.

My build is inner strength, iron will, sprint burst, and anything else. Usually windows of opportunity.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Dead Hard is the best for extending chases letting you reach that last second window/pallet. Iron Will will let you juke/confuse the killer giving you precious seconds and distance to either continue the loop or reach the next loop/area.

If you're any bit altruistic, Borrowed Time is a must to save teammates. Works well with Kindred.

Honestly, you can run any combination of exhaustion and gimmick perks once you gain enough experience. It'll just take time.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Anyone who thinks Iron Will is a waste of time probably doesn't play a lot of killer - it's basically the only way to actually trip up a good killer once you're wounded. You don't even need to lose the killer, just confusing them for a bit at a loop can be the difference between getting another use out of a pallet or making it to the next loop.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Iron Will also shits all over the Doctor, and anybody running things like Infectious Fright.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Oh, does it stop you from yelling when shocked and infectious fright? I thought it just stopped wounded noises, God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Pretty sure it's Calm Spirit that stops screaming, not Iron Will