Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Medullah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxPfwB1WBPM

Saw this on r/leaksbydbd. This data miner is saying the MMR rating is ONLY based on number of kills and length of match.

Well if that's accurate then it's a very bad and almost non-functional implementation of MMR. The idea of making an MMR system with a hard ceiling, such a low scope and such large swings means it won't really work that well after a fairly short period of time. If at all.

Which would of course be a pretty big bummer, since they seem to have monkeyed with the matchmaker at the same time. Before the MMR change my more experienced friend and I could easily party together and get matches that were usually fun for both of us. After the change I just get annihilated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
It is not remotely surprising that BHVR would take the opportunity to both obscure one of the most screamed about things by their lovely player base and rework it at at the same time. It is a little impressive though, if that mining is correct, just how badly they've done the second part.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Meanwhile I had a game where no one went into the match with keys, but by the end someone was waiting on a closed hatch to jump through with a key, I closed it again, someone else ran in with another key and opened it again so everyone else could jump through

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Someone also linked an interview with in of the devs shortly before pinhead's release that said they try to balance around 2 kills/7-8 hooks being a 'tie', which also shines some light on why SBMM feels bad for killers. A 3K, not 4, is a killer victory.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

fool of sound posted:

Someone also linked an interview with in of the devs shortly before pinhead's release that said they try to balance around 2 kills/7-8 hooks being a 'tie', which also shines some light on why SBMM feels bad for killers. A 3K, not 4, is a killer victory.

Killer victory is whatever you want it to be. 4k, 2k, "I camped the first person to clicky clicky me and I loved it"

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Studio posted:

Killer victory is whatever you want it to be. 4k, 2k, "I camped the first person to clicky clicky me and I loved it"

If you don't give a poo poo about SBMM maybe, but apparently if you do not only DOES it matter, but HOW you do it matters too. Which is completely bonkers.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

So, to defend Behaviour, good SBMM takes a while to develop and is a huge chore in more complex games (which DBD absolutely is). They want to catch as many exceptions as possible, in the simplest way possible, without overcomplicating their system into an unmaintainable mess. To actually develop and improve it though, it needs to be released and iterated on.

My big question is going to be "Why Kills and Length of Match?"

Kills are probably the most fundamental scoring system in the game. Like yeah, you need gens to open the door, but kills are the ultimate deciding "does the game keep running" factor. Length of match is likely to try and find exceptions, and weed out irregularities.

Let's say someone dies 2 minutes into a match. Is there an easy way to determine who's fault it is? Maybe they were AFK and the killer found them. Maybe they were tunneled. Maybe their teammates left them there, or they immensely hosed up very quickly.

It should be a fast match and end quickly, and less points get rewarded because there was a Weird Exception. There are totally ways to catch each and every exception, but it overcomplicates super quickly. If you start looking at individual game mechanics you just end up recreating the scoring methods for emblems, which is uhhh, silly.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Studio posted:

No I mean for purposes of design a killer victory is 3k. 4k is a blowout. A lot of killer mains consider anything but a 4k (or maybe 3k+hatch) a loss which explains the some of the SBMM disconnect.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Studio posted:

So, to defend Behaviour, good SBMM takes a while to develop and is a huge chore in more complex games (which DBD absolutely is).

Yes indeed, so if you don't have the resources to do it properly, maybe don't do it at all or you'll end up with a lovely system that's worse than the one you had before.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

fool of sound posted:

A lot of killer mains consider anything but a 4k (or maybe 3k+hatch) a loss

And those people are sweaty tryhards and/or streamers who feel the need to look like gods. Any "normal" killer player who isn't satisfied with 3K as a win needs to calm down.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

rydiafan posted:

And those people are sweaty tryhards and/or streamers who feel the need to look like gods. Any "normal" killer player who isn't satisfied with 3K as a win needs to calm down.

Yeah I agree but those people are complaining loudly about the inability to consistantly 4K now and in the case of streamers those opinions get parrotted by their fans.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
As a completely mew player who knew almost nothing but "game cool and looks fun" I sort of assumed that 4k was the only real "win" for a killer.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Duderclese posted:

As a completely mew player who knew almost nothing but "game cool and looks fun" I sort of assumed that 4k was the only real "win" for a killer.
I figure as the killer, my goal is to kill someone, so if I killed somebody, I won. So by my standards, 1K is victory!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

If I get 3-4 BBQ stacks I win. :colbert:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

And whether I'm playing as killer or survivor I consider getting a pip a win.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Nessus posted:

I figure as the killer, my goal is to kill someone, so if I killed somebody, I won. So by my standards, 1K is victory!

After my first 0k I determined this to be the correct line of thought.

What I was getting at is that for someone going in blind, assuming you have to kill everyone to win is a reasonable thought.

(I am biased this is what I thought)

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Pinwiz11 posted:

this is correct

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

They really need to get rid of that blaring ENTITY DISPLEASED that can happen even if you have what you figured was a good game, but no, DBD decided it didn't enjoy your Tombstone Myers ignoring the hook to stab a lot of people instead

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DeathChicken posted:

They really need to get rid of that blaring ENTITY DISPLEASED that can happen even if you have what you figured was a good game, but no, DBD decided it didn't enjoy your Tombstone Myers ignoring the hook to stab a lot of people instead
The entity can come stab these dudes itself then.

That said, yes, negative feedback is negative feedback.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pinwiz11 posted:

This is honestly how I've been feeling too. I don't care if I get 4 kills or 0, I'm after Bloodpoints at this point so I'd rather get a bunch of hooks with no kills than get two kills on second hook. Once I unlock everything I want (which ain't anytime soon) then I might start playing "for realsies" but right now it's all about points.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
4K is such a pain as a killer and the way you have to play to ensure the fourth can't hatch is often very ugly and isn't very fun for the killer, the fourth survivor, and often the third survivor either. 3K plus hatch being a design-intended killer win makes a ton of sense from basically every perspective.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

One thing I have noticed since SBMM is that if I am put in a lobby with other PC survivors, they're all wearing my outfits. Like I get put in with a Kate who has on the same hair/top/bottom combo as my Kate, the Dwight has the same combo as mine, the Felix has the same combo as mine, Zarina, whatever. It's loving weird.

It just happened again while I was writing this post, with a Steve and two identical Claudettes. And we're not talking standard outfits either!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

spaghetti code!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Looked around on reddit and yeah seems to be a bug where survivors in lobby all appear as whatever you have them dressed as (despite them sometimes wearing different outfits when you get in-game). Fun! I was wondering why everyone looked so cute but it turns out it was BHVR BHVRing all along.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
As a killer, my only goal is to spook some people. If people get spooked then my work is done.

I mean, I just have to assume I spook at least one person per match. Honor system.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DeathChicken posted:

That's always been one of the biggest problems with them insisting 2 kills is a win before, poo poo, you can get 4 kills and if you did it too good/quick the game can still scream ENTITY DISPLEASED at you.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 16, 2021

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
if the entity is displeased he can go get his own drat food :colbert:

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

Had a 0 kill "Brutal Killer" result today. I was just loving around, too, so maybe the entity has a sense of humor.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

tweet my meat posted:

Just bought DBD, as well as the meyers, ghost face, and pyramid head dlcs which were also on sale. I'm really excited to dig into the game. I've been watching a ton of videos and I think I have a decent grasp on how to get started, but man this game seems obtuse.

Since you're new, you may not be aware that Demogorgon and the two Stranger Things survivors will be removed from the store November 17th. Demo is a good killer, and the two survivors seem to be what a lot of players use judging by the amount of them I see in my games. It's worth picking up in case they never get their license back. The monster and survivors will stay on everyone's accounts forever.

Hawkins Lab will also be removed from the map rotations. Can't say I'll miss that one as a killer.

Also, just enjoy the game. It gets much more enjoyable when you're aware the other side are players trying to have fun too, so if you get dunked on, they likely had an amusing time. Don't buy into the drama, it's a fantastic casual game at it's core. And no matter how terribad you might feel with a killer, just keep playing them and you get better and better over time. Just like learning musical instruments.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 16, 2021

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

and here i was coming to remark about how many people tonight have cursed me out/insulted me/used the bad words because they're mad they died to legion :v:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Legion isn't as bad as they're made out to be. Yeah they get foiled by survivors splitting up, but when are survivors ever smart enough to stay apart from each other

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DeathChicken posted:

Legion isn't as bad as they're made out to be. Yeah they get foiled by survivors splitting up, but when are survivors ever smart enough to stay apart from each other

I did my first Bubba match since SBMM started yesterday. I head over to the furthest generator, two people working on it. They waited till I was nice and close to get off it so down they went. After I knocked them down I see another person so I go after them. Down they go. As I'm getting ready to pick that one up I see the 4th running over right in front of me to heal the first ones I downed, so down he went. All in less than 60 seconds. I ended up picking up two of them and letting them struggle free so the match wasn't super short.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

DeathChicken posted:

Bah, I was just playing some Legion tonight and the real foil is experience realizing you don't need a foil against Legion because being injured helps the survivor more than it helps Legion. If you really want to stack your chances against a plain killer with literally no power or means of downing you that isn't a plain M1, resilience/dead hard/iron will will help and hey most people run 2 of those often enough...

Which leaves you running your power as a radar to see who is nearby and where. That's what feels so lovely about the power, everything you use it for is for more or less an unintended purpose to make up for not having a real power. You can run add-ons for downtime reduction and try to bodyblock a window after stabbing. Hope nothing else is around otherwise chase is reset and your power has a huge cooldown, so as a chase power it sucks. You can run range add-ons, but you'll never chase that far, so it's just a radar extension for info. Duration add-ons are good, sure, but that's only to run back to protect your 3 gens after you catch someone you chased out.

Ultimately you're a plain 115% m1 killer but your power is you only need to hit them once. Sometimes. If you're good at playing killer, you'll still have good matches with Legion. Better than wraith anyways... I've been running corrupt/thana/discordance/tinkerer. I may be a plain m1 killer but from the first time I hook someone then pop someone else with my power, I usually know where all 4 survivors are and what they're likely doing at any given time which is cool and makes me feel like a big brain otz. Only problem is knowing doesn't always translate to being able to act right.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I like wraith but I keep releasing the decloak button a split second before I actually decloak and then become confused why I can't hit anyone.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

If you've been inflicted Deep Wound by Legion, maybe don't keep standing still trying to flashlight stun the killer before Mending. :shepface: Just had a match where I watched two different survivors drop themselves because they kept trying to go for the epic flashlight stun behind a pallet and then just. fall over

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Mix. posted:

If you've been inflicted Deep Wound by Legion, maybe don't keep standing still trying to flashlight stun the killer before Mending. :shepface: Just had a match where I watched two different survivors drop themselves because they kept trying to go for the epic flashlight stun behind a pallet and then just. fall over

Flashlight brain tragically cuts many survivor lives short.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/fumangoo/status/1438664440111673346

Remember kids, bringing DS/Dead Hard/Iron Will/BT and a tricked out flashlight can't fix stupid

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

fool of sound posted:

Flashlight brain tragically cuts many survivor lives short.

There's that stun a killer 4 times in a match node that people get 3 easily of (pallet stun/flashlight/DS) and go insane trying to get the 4th.

Vvvv lol drat haven't seen that one yet.

OxMan fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 17, 2021

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

OxMan posted:

There's that stun a killer 4 times in a match node that people get 3 easily of (pallet stun/flashlight/DS) and go insane trying to get the 4th.

The real tech for this is to change your steam name to 'will betray for pallet stuns'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I just predrop every pallet and blind them while they kick it.

Also, blast mine.