Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

From what I've seen, he's not the greatest killer. I mean, he's a mobility killer which means he's gonna be average to above-average at the bare minimum, but man, his power does not interact with hitboxes well. And as it turns out, a lot of DBD hitboxes suck horribly. You'll see him ramming into doorways when there's nothing there because the floor hitbox is slightly too high!

He looks really fun to play though, and he'd be awesome if hitboxes were cleaned up a little bit or if his power gets tweaked to just be less clunky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1296171737495863296?s=19

Orv
May 4, 2011

Arzaac posted:

From what I've seen, he's not the greatest killer. I mean, he's a mobility killer which means he's gonna be average to above-average at the bare minimum, but man, his power does not interact with hitboxes well. And as it turns out, a lot of DBD hitboxes suck horribly. You'll see him ramming into doorways when there's nothing there because the floor hitbox is slightly too high!

He looks really fun to play though, and he'd be awesome if hitboxes were cleaned up a little bit or if his power gets tweaked to just be less clunky.

Yeah he looks extremely fun, janky as all get out but for me where all my favorite killers are just like, fun to play even if they're not exceedingly effective, my jam.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Been playing a lot of survivor lately to fill out my rifts, since I REALLY want to make Ace look as dumb as possible, and hot drat the amount of people camping in the low ranks :cripes: I saw a couple killers get around 9k bloodpoints and one kill when I usually get 20k+ as killer even without sacrificing anyone. You're playing yourself you fools. :argh:

At least I got to see this

https://twitter.com/DanaruLP/status/1298049914346315776?s=19

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nalesh posted:

He's the pinball alchemist.
There has to be a twist!

Yay new thread, amazing it took me this long to find it but I guess it didn't see a ton of traffic. :v:

What is the area of effect for Spine Chill like? I'm trying to think of ways I can gimmick it with Myers.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

36 meters. If you get good at walking backwards you can definitely surprise some survivors who are relying on it as a crutch.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Berzerker posted:

36 meters. If you get good at walking backwards you can definitely surprise some survivors who are relying on it as a crutch.
Does it require me to be directly facing them or just like looking in that general direction?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Nessus posted:

Does it require me to be directly facing them or just like looking in that general direction?

It the survivor falls within your cone of vision as a killer (whether or not there is an object in the way) Spine Chill will activate. If you're trying to play Scratched Mirror spooky Myers it's pretty obvious to figure out they have it (because you literally aura read them and watch them run away even if they can't see you), but there are ways to sus out that a survivor is using it even with other killers. You'll pick them up as you learn killer though, it's not super necessary and is more of an extra skill.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
poo poo, and I've been running perks that increase my FOV :frogdunce:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Danaru posted:

poo poo, and I've been running perks that increase my FOV :frogdunce:

Honestly it doesn't really matter. Spine Chill is kind of a crutch perk that good killers can take advantage of because boy howdy have I caught survivors using it out with it just by walking at them backwards.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Played several games this weekend as trapper, after not playing for about a month. It’s so funny the disparity in skill you get when you’re around rank 20. Ran in a survivor that didn’t know what the hatch was even as I let her wriggle off right next to it and got her to follow me back to it a minute later. The next game was against a 3 or 4 man that picked autohaven wreckers (is it particularly bad for killers?) that I got 4 kills on because I was able to 3-gen them, but they were dilligent about healing up and trying to get me to chase to the other side of the map & blinding me/going for protection hits. Everyone who tries to bully at my level gets deeply upset when they get caught, which is pretty great. On the flipside, I feel like trapper must 3-gen or he loses because he can’t hardly chase and has no map mobility.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Trapper's an odd one because his power is entirely seperate from him as a killer. Aside from the traps, he's a perfectly baseline normal speed, normal terror radius, normal height, normal everything. He doesnt have much going for him in chases, but with some foresight he can be an absolute nightmare. The big brain play is to set a trap behind a vault point, then chase a survivor into vaulting over and SNAP

Incidentally I feel like Trapper has become more powerful with the more killers that have powers and weapons on their person. People get complacent and only look for the killer and obstacles to put between them. Nobody checks the ground anymore :v:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Honestly once people know it's trapper they tend to check around vaults for traps, so really you should be looking around the loops for grass to drop traps into. Unless you're playing against bad survivors who don't know how to loop.

The real big brain trapper play is putting a trap in the middle of nowhere between two trees because it's on a straight line between two objectives. Absolutely no one looks for traps outside loops.

Chakan posted:

The next game was against a 3 or 4 man that picked autohaven wreckers (is it particularly bad for killers?)

Nah, Autohaven maps are generally pretty good. One of them, Azarov's Resting Place, is exceptionally good for killers. They're only bad for stealth killers since they're pretty much all wide open. The really bad maps for killers are Midwich, Ormond, and Haddonfield. Coldwind maps, especially Fractured Cowshed, can be bad as well. Red Forest is hit or miss - Mother's Dwelling is way too loving large but Temple of Purgation is alright nowadays.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 31, 2020

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
That had been my experience, but i just couldn’t puzzle through them choosing autohaven so I figured it was something I’m missing.

Excited to get BBQ when I get the chance to play one more game tonight. Getting Pop a few weeks ago made everything so much easier.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Pop and Overcharge are one of my favourite combos. If they miss the skill check it's a fat 30% progress loss :allears: plus it notifies you so you can head over and boot it again

Overcharge has way diminished returns once you start facing purple ranks but dammit I like it

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
Running on a 750 ti and it seems like my time with this game might end within the next few updates because each one leads to worse performance- sucks because every other popular multiplayer game runs fine for me. seems like if this is running fine on consoles and switch it should be better optimized.

im not upgrading

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

John Romero posted:

Running on a 750 ti and it seems like my time with this game might end within the next few updates because each one leads to worse performance- sucks because every other popular multiplayer game runs fine for me. seems like if this is running fine on consoles and switch it should be better optimized.

im not upgrading

It's not running fine on consoles. The switch version runs sub 30 at most times, apparently.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Chakan posted:

Played several games this weekend as trapper, after not playing for about a month. It’s so funny the disparity in skill you get when you’re around rank 20. Ran in a survivor that didn’t know what the hatch was even as I let her wriggle off right next to it and got her to follow me back to it a minute later. The next game was against a 3 or 4 man that picked autohaven wreckers (is it particularly bad for killers?) that I got 4 kills on because I was able to 3-gen them, but they were dilligent about healing up and trying to get me to chase to the other side of the map & blinding me/going for protection hits. Everyone who tries to bully at my level gets deeply upset when they get caught, which is pretty great. On the flipside, I feel like trapper must 3-gen or he loses because he can’t hardly chase and has no map mobility.

Edit: nvm, what TGLT said!

Azran fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 13, 2020

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Good to see a de-nazified thread return.

Samovar posted:

I used to play Depth, that was a real fun asymmetric fps a few years back. Dunno what it's like now, tho.

Depth is good fun but it's one of those games that get a big population boom any time it goes on sale for super cheap, then fritters away a bunch of population over time for a few reasons, then another sale and another boom.

Iamgoofball posted:

It's not running fine on consoles. The switch version runs sub 30 at most times, apparently.

Also yeah, the game is Not Good on console and can have entirely different metas sometimes because certain killers are just agony with the FPS drops and in general lower FPS on consoles, switch version both looks and runs awful.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 24, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Just started playing DBD. Currently maining Claudette and Trapper because I'm a basic bitch. Might try out Plague, though, if I either buy her or just get enough shards. She's got some cool perks I'd like to pick up.

Edit: As a Survivor who likes farming Altruism BP, if you DC the first time you get hooked, you are the bastard of Earth. If you're gonna rage quit, at least wait until you hit stage 2 and then stop struggling, like a civilized person.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 26, 2020

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I also got into this game thanks to the sale and some friend/streamer interest. Being a killer/stealthy survivor scratches so many itches just right that I haven't felt since running serious mind games as Spy in TF2. Plague is a very interesting and fun killer and pretty viable all the time, it looks like. It's a shame Trapper seems to get a bad rep because making little trap routing adjustments satisfies other parts of my predatory brain.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

You will come to hate Plague as you play vs her more. I love the concept of Plague, and she is very fun to play as but as a non-optimal likes to run heal builds survivor gently caress Plague, so hard. Very unfun design to play against, so it's a pretty damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of killer.

As a pro-tip for stealth survivor gameplay, it's important to learn the difference between hiding constantly cause because you had an inkling the killer might be around and wasting time and juking the killer in a stealthy manner in a chase or while they check an area to find you. It's also important to take some of the pressure occasionally so other survivors can get a chance to recover or do gens themselves.

Being a stealthy gen jockey is fine mind you, but being immersed or stealthy to the point you don't go for hook rescues or take killer pressure when everyone else is on second or death hook and you haven't even been hooked yet? It can be the difference between winning as 4 or 3 survivors and the killer getting a 3 or 4k game.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Doomykins posted:

I also got into this game thanks to the sale and some friend/streamer interest. Being a killer/stealthy survivor scratches so many itches just right that I haven't felt since running serious mind games as Spy in TF2. Plague is a very interesting and fun killer and pretty viable all the time, it looks like. It's a shame Trapper seems to get a bad rep because making little trap routing adjustments satisfies other parts of my predatory brain.

While Trapper is extremely fun, his setup time is a serious problem if you get put up against good survivors. Plus some times you get a bad map or you get some one who understands TrapperThoughts™ and you end up basically just playing machete man.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Doomykins posted:

I hadn't thought about it, but yeah it does remind me of spy in TF2. The tricks you can pull are really fun in DBD and I never get really upset when they fail, just "well, you beat me, there's your reward."

They're dropping the duration of Pop at level 3 from 60 to 45 seconds, but their rationale seems to be "30 seconds wasn't long enough, but with 60 you didn't make any hard choices" which blows my mind. Maybe it seems reasonable to people that're better than me?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Nah, it's a dumb change.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yaaaaay, they are buffing WGLF!

PMush Perfect posted:

Just started playing DBD. Currently maining Claudette and Trapper because I'm a basic bitch. Might try out Plague, though, if I either buy her or just get enough shards. She's got some cool perks I'd like to pick up.

Edit: As a Survivor who likes farming Altruism BP, if you DC the first time you get hooked, you are the bastard of Earth. If you're gonna rage quit, at least wait until you hit stage 2 and then stop struggling, like a civilized person.

Plague gives you Corrupt Intervention, which goes well with basically every killer. Infectious Fright is also a great perk. I also recommend getting Leatherface for Barbecue & Chilli.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Been playing survivor for a while now and made it to rank 8 or so, and if someone isn't doing a hex: ruin build they are using Barbecue and Chili. Sometimes they do both. I wish those perks did less just so the killers at this point would do more different stuff.

Also this weekend has been full of people playing Wraith and being really weird, making friends with the survivors to farm points. It happened four times. Specifically Wraith.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
No, you don't. BBQ & Chili is relatively simple to counter, and when it works it's real good for game flow because otherwise killers are incentivized to just sort of hang around hooks to catch people coming for rescues.

Hex: Ruin already got nerfed, and like BBQ helps incentivize killers to initiate chases (to get people off of gens) instead of hanging around hooked survivors.

edit: Also the reason a bunch of people use those perks is because they're some of the only perks that are universally good for killers. Most killer perks are really only useful for a handful of killers.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 27, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Ruin is pretty much worthless now, especially since it makes perks like surveilance, overcharge, or pop unusable until it gets cleansed.

Look I really like overcharge alright :mad:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I've found Ruin + Undying to be great on someone like Legion or Blight, since if you are constantly in their faces and making them go heal it can seriously slow down their progress. But Undying is pretty much required unless you use map offerings.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Danaru posted:

Ruin is pretty much worthless now, especially since it makes perks like surveilance, overcharge, or pop unusable until it gets cleansed.

Look I really like overcharge alright :mad:

Sorry hold on, Surveillance works amazingly with Ruin? It synergizes so well, as soon as a generator starts regressing with Ruin it'll activate Surveillance. The issue you may have now is they fixed Surveillance so that it automatically turns off if a generator finishes regressing to 0% progress no matter what caused that regression.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Spent the $5 for Leatherface. He's fun.

Survivor: *playing 5D chess trying to decide when to feint the pallet and when to actually pull it down so they don't waste it*

Me, firing both of my braincells at the same time: haha chainsaw go brrrr

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 27, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SaffronKit posted:

Sorry hold on, Surveillance works amazingly with Ruin? It synergizes so well, as soon as a generator starts regressing with Ruin it'll activate Surveillance. The issue you may have now is they fixed Surveillance so that it automatically turns off if a generator finishes regressing to 0% progress no matter what caused that regression.

Whoops poo poo I thought it activated on kick like the other two :frogdunce:

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I really wish Friday the 13th still had its original numbers. Dead by daylight is fun but its a bit more arcadie or gamelike in comparison.

It waa really fun trying to make deals with Jason or setting up traps. The best was trying to rally everyone to fight him only to escape in the boat amongst all the chaos. Alone.

It wasn't quite a game but more like roleplaying a horror movie.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Yeah F13 is still far and away more fun of a horror-y game.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I really wish Friday the 13th still had its original numbers. Dead by daylight is fun but its a bit more arcadie or gamelike in comparison.

It waa really fun trying to make deals with Jason or setting up traps. The best was trying to rally everyone to fight him only to escape in the boat amongst all the chaos. Alone.

It wasn't quite a game but more like roleplaying a horror movie.

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah F13 is still far and away more fun of a horror-y game.

They're very different games - DBD set out to be a "competitive" game, which is also where it kinda falls flat, and Friday the 13th set out to emulate an 80's slasher film as well as humanly possible in a giant computerized game of tag. I think F13 did a better job of achieving its goals and was more fun, but it was always going to have trouble maintaining a playerbase without some kind of way for players to measure themselves competitively.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Danaru posted:

Been playing a lot of survivor lately to fill out my rifts, since I REALLY want to make Ace look as dumb as possible, and hot drat the amount of people camping in the low ranks :cripes: I saw a couple killers get around 9k bloodpoints and one kill when I usually get 20k+ as killer even without sacrificing anyone. You're playing yourself you fools. :argh:

I just started on DBD and this drives me crazy as a Survivor. I know I'm not good on the chase and looping yet, but for the Killer to just sit there and guard me... :argh:

Meanwhile, that owns. :laffo:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Danaru posted:

At least I got to see this
Kindred is so loving good, especially for dumb moments like this. :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bought the Hag/Ace DLC, and now I kiiinda wanna main Hag, but also Trapper, but also I still need to get BBQ learnable before I start sinking BP into new killers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
You're last most instinct there is correct, you absolutely want to unlock BBQ for everyone. Double BP is super important, particularly for killers where your addons matter in a way they don't for survivors.