Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Bloodpoints are just the gateway drug to salt, the sweetest and most delicious substance available to killers.

Being able to bully bullysquads is probably one the strongest highs modern gaming has to offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
To get better as a killer in this game you have to take a craftman's approach.

As killer you are trying to achieve a goal to the detriment of 4 people who are working against you. You are building a murder house and your material is trying to run away from you, but that's alright! The entity has provided you with limitless hookmeat to practice on. Sometimes you'll 4k without breaking a sweat, sometimes a skilled crew will faceroll the killer and then throw a dance party at the end to rub the salt in. Your houses at the beginning will be bone shacks that any of the three pigs could knock down with ease, but just wait!

The expert killer has eaten countless bowls of poo poo without complaint. He's been teabagged, pallet blinded, chat salted and sometimes flat-out cheated on, but still he asks for more bowls of poo poo with a smile.

The poo poo makes you strong enough to hammer a nail into those wondering planks. The poo poo gives you the power to ignore your hex being broken in the first ten seconds. poo poo allows you to effectively target weak links to quickly unravel strong teams.

When you become a poo poo connoisseur you will dumpster bully squads with ease and languish in the salt. Nothing besides hard work and experience will give you these tools, but once you have then your murder houses will be magnificent murder mansions. DBD is a game of sadistic pleasures, when you have honed your power to a fine point you will become a murderous Bob Vila howling in ecstasy while ripping apart terrified survivors.

Happy building!

Some per killer notes;

Deathslinger- My first killer, and probably still favorite. I recognize that his power is eclipsed by other killers', but the fun in landing shots is unparalleled in enjoyment too so there's a trade off in effectiveness vs fun. His reloading animation will always be bad-rear end and if you're on-point, you can get downs incredibly fast with slinger. I'm an old hand at FPS's though, so his aim mechanic wasn't too much of a curve for me.

This Shape- Thematically my favorite killer of the group, but I didn't really feel powerful with his power. I stopped playing him before I unlocked a slew of good perks, so I'll likely come back to him at some point with a vengeance.

Hag- I picked her up a week ago and she's a close second favorite. Her mechanic is really fun and if you have even basic knowledge of loops and survivor hot-spots, you can dominate as hag. All the ledges and pallets I used to dread survivors scurrying off too I just lay a trap on. Being able to turn a safety into an injury or a down will never not be fun.

Doc- The king of DCs. Sometimes I'll run distressing and unnerving presence on rank reset and howl in delight as survivors walk up to me and point to a hook. Breaking the will of people has never been so easy in a video game. Doc is also really good at shutting down loops but is more addon-dependant than most killers.

Hillbilly- I tried, and he just feels like a watered down bubba to me. I did the keyboard turn trick, I watched the guides, but I just don't feel powerful with billy. Yeah he can sprint for awhile and insta-down with luck, but I think he needs a little more umph to be competitive.

Bubba- My workhorse. When my ego takes a hit and I need an easy win, I turn to the meat man. So many matches has been turned on a dime because of a lucky string of downs. With Bubba the match can be against you 95% but if you keep your cool, amazing turn arounds are possible and the salt is near infinite. When you learn the chainsaw timing the survivor's rear end is grass and you are holding a chainsaw.

Plague- A fun killer, snipe vomiting will always be a delight. I've hit a brick wall with her though, and if I don't run the addon that's a literal wallhack survivors will typically split up, solo gens and hide the whole match which isn't too fun.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I main killer and I haven't noticed a difference with this weekend's changes tbh.

Then again most of my games lately have been hag, and if you're bloodlusting with hag then I just don't know what to tell you.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

King Cohort posted:

I quit this game. Even after the Bloodlust change was undone, matchmaking is completely hosed. I'm rank 11 as killer and getting matched, no poo poo, three games in a row against multiple rank 1-2 survivors. I can't get a single kill and I'm lucky to get two or three hooks; I have to give up virtually every chase against the rank 1-2 people (especially in the loving Killer Shack) because they can loop me forever and no manner of mindgames I try (doubling back, hiding my red light, double vaulting, etc.) will trick these Navy SEALs. I was not getting these insane matchups before the idiotic Bloodlust experiment, which seems to have permanently damaged the queues, the matchmaking, and the community's faith in the game. It's funny because I have 10-15 minute queue times as survivor, which means you'd think there'd be such a glut of survivors queuing up that a killer could get matched with survivors around their rank, but apparently that's impossible.

Oh well, until BHVR fixes their matchmaking, I'm not dealing with this poo poo anymore, so survivor queue times will just get longer.

e: I know it's not just me, too--when I do get in games as a survivor, I (rank 14) almost always find myself up against rank 20 killers--some of them without more than a single perk! And multiple survivors in my postgame chats have commented on how the matchmaking is hosed for them too.

You've taken your first dive into something besides the kiddy pool, and you're finding you're drowning.

Every killer hits this same exact wall and the only thing in the world that's going to let your overcome the skill difference is time.

A killer with a hundred hours is going to hilariously fail again a survivor with 10x the playtime, despite both being in the red ranks. A fresh red killer versus a competent SWF group is 100 hours vs ~4k hours, in what sport or trade on earth is the 100 hour player going to have the edge? Exactly none, and your expectations need to follow that.

Really, being facerolled is a learning experience. Every impossible loop survivors throw you is them teaching you how to be a better killer. Every pallet stun is a slap on the wrist until you learn the timings in your bones and are able to easily flip the odds in your favor.

Take a breath, maybe learn a new killer. Cross-pollinating killer skills really is a thing, playing hag for awhile will teach you the maps like no other killer can for example.

It also doesn't help that survivors have been ultra salty these last few days. I type "gg wp" after every match like clockwork and the amount of pure hatred that catches is probably the best part of the game.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
This poo poo-

has been going on way too much the last few days. Survivors DCing on sight. Dying on first hook. Even if you manage to find a real game the survivors in the chat are "vitriolic" at best.

I like winning but I really like having to earn it too.

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 25, 2020

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
The Doc's shock prevents survivors from using ALL interactables for 2.5 seconds.

This includes hatches :science:

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Karanas posted:

I've got to admit, it's somewhat demoralizing when you're starting with a new killer and you realize that, despite having never touched the bastard before, you're still gonna get dumped with purple and red ranks because you're rank 12 yourself. Not that winning and losing matters that much, but when you're getting rolled because you have no real idea how to use your guy properly and have no perks, it kinda makes me hesitate to push the start button.

Counterpoint/small boast-

I expected to get absolutely rolled with my first hag match, a reasonable expectation for every new killer- but ended up with a 4k! Not pictured because of the hag's stumpy POV- a third body climbing up the basement stairs.

Nothing on this gay Earth is sweeter than being able to surprise one's self.

Incidentally that was also the only game Devour Hope provided any value for me.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I'm low-key flabbergasted that a major software studio would release content for money in such a state.

All of the new mechanics (sans the new map aesthetics) are busted to various degrees and the new killer looks like the personification of jank.

What's the goddamn point of the public test build if BHVR doesn't test upcoming changes on it?

I'm giving the game a few days to iron the glaring bugs out. I'm never buying the new DLC.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Yall are tripping if playing with less than 4 perks is even an option.

It takes ~300k bp to get from level 1-15. Depending on perks, a lucky daily and add-ons, you can get that in 3 good games.

There's no reason whatsoever to play with less than 4 perks. Even if you have comparative garbage, even spies from the shadows is better than nothing at all.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
The only tried and true method that works against hag is patience.

I'm coming up blank with how BHVR could have more effectively shot themselves in the foot. This is the second chapter I've been around to see launch, I don't know if this is par for the course but it's just appalling. Every twins match I've spectated so far has had numerous bugs, from minor graphic glitches to full-blown game-throwing bullshit.

In time they can make the twins competitive, I admit the concept is novel, but too many people have been permanently soured off of them so it's a little futile at this stage.

And Christmas (read Cyberpunk) is just around the corner. Every top steam-charted game is going to hemorrhage players big time, and the last taste DBD fans had of the game is going to be bitter as hell.

All they had to do was push their imaginary deadline back two weeks to fully playtest new poo poo. The playerbase actively wanted to help them. Lesser software studios have been shuttered over smaller issues.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Tormented posted:

As a red rank killer, dead hard is the most broken perk, it can make a survivor mistake into a good play and make a good loop into a great one. Sprint Burst does have a place on survivors that are just the designated gen jockeys in a swf. Dead Hard breaks chases in the favor of the survivor, if your good with your routing.

It's annoying, it can extend chases mucho, but it's counterable.

For example doc's M2 shock is often used to bait out a dead hard, as it makes an identical sound to when a killer starts to swing.

Other killers have specific counters, but a catch-all is giving injured survivors a split-second "grace" period where the killer is practically touching them and they are expecting a swing.

They panic, dead hard, the killer doesn't whiff losing momentum, and the survivor goes down in a few seconds every time.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
/\ /\ /\ Is a good cache of pro-tips.

About the best advice a newly red killer can get is learn how to manage your time. The value you squeeze out of every early second pays dividends as the match goes on.

Getting pallet stunned sucks- but as Doc you can setup fake pallets once the original breaks so tailing a survivor hell-bent on dropping all the pallets is a good move to start with, even if it's unfun.

Similarly you've got to be able to spot the men from the boys. Chasing a survivor with 4k hours between two L-loops is going to nothing but burn time, so let em do a gen for awhile and return to punish them on a hook-save!

You really have to embody the late great Kenny Rogers in saying,

"You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away"

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I just bought that fucker, and now I can't unsee it.

gently caress you.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I had two separate matches yesterday where I was unable to break the killer shack's god-pallet from the outside, an exploit the survivors seemed aware of because they threw a little dance party afterwards.

Then I had a bubba game where my addons(?) stripped the movement bonus from using his power, and I was left waddling through match waving my chainsaw around at walking speed like a fool.

Dead by Janklight.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
As a killer main I enjoyed mori's as a control valve for civil play. Teabag or betray your team? Tunneled and mori'd. Sometimes I'd get a nice 4k and not use the mori at all- and still catch salt for it in the chat!

It was fun, but the time you shave off matches is reflected in the reduced bloodpoints one earned because of it.

This change makes it so it's more effective to 3rd hook a survivor than letting your long (though sometimes cool) mori animation play out. So it's pointless now in my opinion. All of these recent changes seem like they were exclusively designed by and for survivors.

I'm shelving this game for awhile until the crippling bugs are ironed out. I'm looking at the steamcharts page for the game and yeah, I'm not the only one!

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
It's also an excellent time to learn the map and the timings around your power!

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I'll take their company script, but that doesn't mean any forgiveness has occurred.

e: oh hi rank reset!

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I had 4 good games today after taking a hiatus on account of this trainwreck of a new chapter.

Ran into an obvious SWF, kitted out in matching Christmas sweaters, and found a chance to use the new mori. They body blocked for their injured pretty well, but every SWF gets greedy as hell when it comes to hooks and that lock pretty much picks itself.

Mori'ing a guy infront of a hooked friend that you know are chatting on comms gives a satisfaction somewhere between cumming and Christmas. The helplessness and frustration I imagine these e-bros were going through was worth the quarter hour of eating pallet stuns, quietly swearing to myself and competent looping.

The salt I caught afterwards was life-affirming. I missed this game.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

The absolute worst thing about unintentionally DC'ing as killer isn't the rank reset, the loss of bloodpoints or the time wasted- it's the thought that 4 strangers think they tilted me so bad that I DC'd out of spite.

I've cleaned house as killer more times than I can count, but this will haunt me.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
As a killer main who often runs with Sloppy and Nurse's Calling, seeing Self Care in this week's shop is my real Christmas present.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Keep faith, getting bodied is but the first step to greatness!

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I refuse to pay for blight so I've never had Undying, and still I've found pretty great value in running Ruin all by itself. I hate running hexes as a rule but I make a solo exception for Ruin.

For all the rounds where the chucklefuck entity spawns my only active totem across the map and ontop of a hill, there's an equal number of matches where Ruin has tilted a maybe game into a win. I consider this fair.

I do enjoy the re-designed interface in the preview. The added info will be useful in circumventing the one-minute-of-immortality a fair number of survivors roll with. I wonder what core-mechanics the update will break?

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Dead by Daylight is truly a land of contrasts.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Looking further at the re-designed interface, I retract all of my positive feedback.

Only the survivors it seems get per survivor hook counter, where the killer gets a general hook counter, a permanent symbol on the screen that goes to 12.

This helps survivors in that they now know exactly when to trade, when to take hits, who's safe and who's on death hook. This won't affect SWFs one ounce, but it provides a wealth of information for solo-quers.

While the killer gets a constant reminder of how poo poo he is. Killer-side this new information will influence exactly zero gameplay decisions, it's completely superfluous. Matches where 12 hooks were made have got the be in the singe percentile of the total matches for very, very good reason.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I think we can all agree that on the spectrum of killers Otz stands towering above his peers in terms of respectability and skill, whereas Apple2o scrapes the very distant bottom of that rotten barrel.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

marshmallow creep posted:

What gives away a mediocre purple like me?

Running up to me and pointing to a hook when I run Doc with Distressing, Franklin's and Unnerving Presence.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Azran posted:

The new UI illustrates just how much BHVR hates colorblind people.

There's a perverse delight in being an exclusive killer while the devs seems to main survivors.

The game isn't even designed for me, but alone I can still thwart the group efforts of 4 people, sadistically. This will never get old.

Did they honestly think an obtuse, redundant interface update would stop this one-man pain train?

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
The ultima hombre wants to pop a cheeky tea bag at the exit? AT PYRAMID HEAD?

Yes please!

E: Also there's a bloodhunt on until the 21st, 1.5x the bloodpoints.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Otz once described playing trapper as calling up your ex- "you're either going to have a wild and amazing night or it'll be something you'll regret for the rest of your life".

I've never heard a better description.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Drythe posted:

its not fun to dunk on baby survivors

You're not dunking anything.

You are restoring balance to this hellworld by putting the meat back on the hooks.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I honestly believe that matches with a variance of skill level between players will always be more fun than so called "equal" matches.

A new killer paired with new survivors will be an educational match, sure, but the tension of surprise is taken out of the picture and that cuts down on alot of the "oh poo poo!" moments that form the core of the gameplay in this horror-themed game.

As a half-decent killer main with 200 hours, getting into a new killer can be daunting, sure. My first (and only) matches with Billy and Huntress got me bullied to hell, survivors danced around me and played me like a pinata. I felt like a fool.

That's daunting, but fair. The alternative is that I face a constant stream of sweat-squads with the killers I'm proficient with which is going to sour me much, much faster than throwing a few odd rounds due to being outplayed.

It's a tricky balance, and I trust BHVR to implement it in the worst possible way.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Make Your Choice is wild on hag. She's a slow little lady BUT if you can get a quick trap activated immediately after you hook, you hang on for a split second to hear the scream, then pop back to whatever trap the unhooker trips for a sweet, sweet instadown.

I'll be picking up discordance, the shrine this week isn't half bad. Kinda wish I hadn't blown all my cell points on getting dreads for hag.

Scratch that. I regret nothing.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
As much as I poo poo on this game for it's spaghetti code, toxic community and balance woes, there's much the game gets right. Art design, the thrill of the hunt, but specifically sound design is where this game stands head and shoulders above other asymmetric match-based games.

There are videos out there of greater killers than me playing spirit with a loving blindfold, and cleaning up. When the sound design is so strong you don't need to see to paddle survivors, you'd be a fool to overlook it and what it can add to your game.

Uncle Walrus' Three Step Guide to Hearing Dead by Daylight

Step 1. Use headphones

You are watching a David Lynch film a loving iPhone if you use speakers for this game.

Step 2. Enable the best audio quality in the .ini.

For some Byzantine reason, BHVR has linked the sound quality to the graphic quality. We don't live in the age of soundcards anymore, and even if I had a beast of a rig I'd play on graphics->low to simplify the visual clutter.

To do this you'll need to goto C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Local\DeadByDaylight\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor and open gameusersettings.ini

Inside you'll find a trove of setting, find "AudioQualityLevel=" and switch the value to 2. THEN you'll want to save, exit, and this part is CRITICAL, make gameusersettings.ini "read only" or it'll overwrite your changes when the game launches.

I never heard survivors breathing (uninjured) before I made this switch.

Step 3. Enable Windows Sonic for headphones.

This really beefs up the directional aspect of all sounds.

Right-click on the speaker icon on your dash. Click spatial sound. Click Windows Sonic for headphones.

Step 4. Make them pay

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 20, 2021

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Ormond is p much the worst map for every killer, unless you have some mobility play like with hag or billy.

Good loops are plentiful, distance between hooks feels like a marathon and it's just a big grey waste besides.

I will give props to the updated lodge in the middle though, it looks much nicer than it did before.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Every company has it's own marketing strategy.

BHVR's approach of "gently caress the disabled" is both novel and bold.

Time will tell how it pans out.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Or don't!

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
*waves goodbye to Discordance disappearing over the horizon like Shane*

Getting over level 100 shouldn't reset the auric cell point rewards for leveling. Oh well, I'm sure something just as good has replaced it!

*checks this week's shop*

gently caress.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I like my perks to provide value from the start of the match to the very end.

If I run hexes it's usually all by themselves or when I'm feeling a little gimmicky (devour hope on deathslinger surprisingly works well!)

Remember Me is a non-option because that perk slot could easily be substituted with something that hopefully prevents the game from even getting that far.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Killers are affected too, I feel fat shamed every time I try to traverse that perfectly passable looking piece of geometry.

If it blocked clown I'd consider it fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Abisteen posted:

What's everyone's favorite meme builds for killer? There's the classic insidious bubba protecting his chest/any items that come to the basement with Franklin's but what other silliness can one get up to?

When I'm feeling saucy I'll slap onto Doc-

Sloppy Butcher
Nurse's Calling
Distressing
Unnerving Presence

With the King & Queen add-ons or Discipline and Order.

Stealth and gen regressing goes out the window in favor of pure white-knuckle stress. Every player has a stress gauge inside, and while the goal is to ultimately approach the game as an un-tiltable Buddhist monk, most of us are humans whos reaction and decision making suffer under pressure. This build takes advantage of that, but note- experienced survivors will slam gens with this build while laughing the bizarre skill-checks away. It works best around rank reset for this reason!

SB makes healing more difficult, but not by much. Nurse's gives you info on healing and gives more with SB. Distressing makes your TR so large that you may as well be everywhere on the map. Unnerving Presence ties it all together, in that everyone affected by your huge TR now has more difficulty repairing and healing, and all that's implying that they aren't in tier 3 madness.

It's a feast or famine build, but when it works it's pure fireworks for Mr. Carter.