Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Medullah posted:

we can all at least agree THIS is an rear end in a top hat move, right

Before they nerfed hook sabotage by making hooks respawn in 30 seconds, this was usually the end game state against sabo teams when you didn't have Iron Grasp and Agitation to take them all the way to the basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Unless they nerf the radius on the healing boon at least (to maybe 8m) or limit the ability to replace the boon, the bad times of seeing survivors heal mid-chase is definitely returning. I see the killer meta looking more like:
- Nurse, Hag (both can ignore the boon totems for their own gameplay anyway)
- Blight (same as above, but depends on if the survivors can heal in front of you during your cooldown or not)
- Plague
- Killers with an instant down (baked in or add-ons/reliable perk activations that are not Devour Hope)
- Killers with a way to apply Deep Wounds/Doctor (so that survivors can't heal mid-chase)

Outside of that, hope you can run STBFL and keep constant pressure on the survivor or abandon every chase that makes it to the boon zone.

Tormented posted:

F13 was a good game just not one that was balanced at all. It was never designed as a high skill game. It was more of a loving around simulator.

I was never scared of Jason as there was far more tools to bully him then anything DBD has.

F13 also had the benefit of a much healthier queueing system, in that you didn't pick a role and instead just joined a server lobby and someone random was chosen to be Jason each round (based on preference weightings). It sets up more of a party environment you enjoyed with some people/friends instead of a tryhard competitive environment like DBD.

Edit:

Orv posted:

Like yes boon totems are unquestionably the stupidest design choice they've made in a bit now but you used to be able to permanently destroy hooks and instantly complete generators. And bloodlust wasn't a thing. Probably some other awful poo poo I'm forgetting.

Don't forget not being able to regress generators.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Meeko posted:

As someone new to the game, Bloodlust kind of sucks rear end. It being broken every time I try to smack a pallet or lose LoS is just one of the many things making me feel weak unless I use the Cannibal and his very fun chainsaw.

It helps to know the context of why Bloodlust was added. It wasn't really designed as a buff for killers, it was designed as a nerf to infinite loops. Behavior didn't want to figure out how to fix existing infinites properly or test their maps to avoid adding new ones. Instead, they just made it so the killer gets fast enough in a long enough chase that they will eventually catch a survivor abusing an infinite. That's why you lose Bloodlust when you hit a survivor (fast enough to beat the infinite), break a pallet (assumption the pallet was part of the infinite), stop the chase with that survivor by breaking LoS (no abusing the speed boost to hit someone else), or the survivor breaks the chase by walking long enough (no infinite lets you walk it so the survivor is giving up the chase).

It can be used in certain tiles or on certain pallets to make them unsafe for a survivor to stay when you learn the game more, but a general rule is that you shouldn't rely on it to get hits. Bloodlust 1 is usually an accident as a result of catching up in the first place and is fine. Bloodlust 2 is usually an indicator that you should drop a chase to go pressure gens unless you are just about to get the hit or there is a good reason to tunnel the survivor. You should never be in Bloodlust 3 unless it is the last survivor/EGC or the loop is also letting you patrol the last three gens.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

Lightborn causes such weird rage, even from killer main streamers. "Just look at a wall, it's a trash perk and furthermore"

I would call it situational over trash, but I can see the logic of why they reach that:
- It's only useful if you see flashlights in the lobby, and it might be a dead perk if they never try to use them or anything else that flashes
- You often want people to waste their time doing flashlight/flashbang saves, since that means they aren't doing gens
- Once the survivors find out you are running Lightborn, they stop trying to rescue and just do gens instead so you still need to fake avoiding the light to keep them wasting their time. If you don't know how to fake it because you run Lightborn all the time, you give away the game faster and it becomes a dead perk
-You could always just slug the downed survivor if they are in a bad spot and go after the flashlight wielder and have a better impact on gen progress as either Unbreakable gets used early or you effectively take 3 people off gens
-You could be taking gen slowdown perks instead

It's still a great swap perk when you see 4 flashlights in the lobby because you can at least ruin the SWF death squad's fun and get the game over with faster.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

Apparently one of the devs, I want to say McLean, wanted a Hunter from Left 4 Dead in the game. That would have been such a fun and cool enemy, you could do such neat poo poo with that :negative:

It would have just worked like Victor without the Twin gimmick, no way would they have added in Blight-like wall pouncing.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

BitBasher posted:

On console when I leave the turn speed to a playable rate I can't physically look up fast enough to avoid a flashlight most of the time. I can't whip it around like a mouse user can.

If you are deliberately avoiding ranking up that's basically the exact definition of smurfing. In this case, points are irrelevant to whether or not it's smurfing because points aren't tied directly to matchmaking. Maximizing points while deliberately avoiding actions that improve matchmaking is absolutely smurfing, and the devs are idiots for allowing cases where that can happen so easily IMHO. The things that give points should be the exact same things that improve matchmaking. Hell, matchmaking should be tried straight to points.

The original rank/matchmaking system was based on points earned in a match, which also partially explains the "self-sabotage for points" add-ons existing. Survivors didn't like it because you usually couldn't pip at high levels without an escape, and killers didn't like it because fast games/DCs meant you couldn't pip due to lack of points available unless the remaining survivors wanted to grind.

It was replaced with emblems, which solved neither of those problems and made it way more complicated to calculate the same thing.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

How you balance Circle of Healing without just removing it:

quote:

Unlocks the Self-Care ability, allowing to self-heal without needing a Med-Kit.
Reduces Personal Healing speed by -50 %.
Benefits from the general Healing Speed bonus.

Done. SWF is going to be broken anyway if this perk has to exist in the first place just because it is 1 free perk for the other survivors, but this at least means 2 survivors have to be off of gens to be time efficient since no organized team is going to go for a 32 second solo heal.

Self Care was a meta perk for a long time because it retained 50/75/100% med-kit self heal efficiency, meaning you could load up on +heal speed add-ons to counter the effects of 30/40/50% heal speed and still have enough heals for the entire game. Once that finally got nerfed in 1.7.0, Dead Hard/Decisive Strike/Borrowed Time/Unbreakable were all in the game at that point and it couldn't compete with those in terms of second chance efficiency. It also couldn't compete with just running a med-kit with Styptic Agent/Anti-Haemorrhagic Syringe for mid-chase healing shenanigans.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

You all are missing the BHVR solution to fix hook camping:
-Release a licensed survivor with a perk that gives you 50/75/100% reduced hook progression while the killer is within 8 meters of your hook, as well as revealing the killer's aura
-Tell survivors to equip the perk if they don't want to be hook camped, saying the problem is solved
-Wait 1-2 years to fix spaghetti code interaction that meant that hook progression was actually stopped by seeing their aura and not by distance, leading to perk combos that keep the killer's aura revealed forever and holding the game hostage even if everyone gets hooked.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Doomykins posted:

tbqh if you're having trouble because no mither was run you just need to work on your fundamentals(or the survivor is legit a youtube clip compilation worthy god.) Not to disparage your feelings that the survivors are being dicks trying to get you with a lose/lose meme set up but... no mither is still an enormous handicap and meme.

The survivors being discussed would swap out No Mither for Soul Guard in a heartbeat for their bullshit if boons didn't scare off most of the hexes. These survivors are also the same people who used to run sabo squads when sabo was permanent, get rid of every hook on the map, then run to the furthest corner of the map from the basement in every chase to laugh at the killer who can't hook them anymore.

Coincidentally, it was also satisfying as killer back then to slug someone in their safety corner and sit there until the altruism spiral happened. Oh how they would complain in the post-game lobby about how you were playing the game wrong after the 4K bleedout.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I guess the follow up question is what buffs would you give to killers to make up for survivors having better default communication? Because it's not really a strict numbers buff, and trying to counteract it with one feels like it would be really hard to make feel right.

My first thought was honestly "what if the killer got the same 'X and Y are on gens, Z is moving and probably going to save' prompts as the survivors", and I'm not sure if that's clever, game-breaking or just really dumb. So I hope someone here has a better idea than me.

You would want to hit on all the actions that survivors can currently do without coordination in some way so that they now have to use the comm system effectively to do the same things. Ideally, turn them into things that costs time for survivors so that killers have more ways to take control of the flow of the game from the survivors. Some ideas:

- Instead of opening automatically when at 100%, make it so a survivor can hold the switch as long as they want and can manually open it (with Spacebar or something) once it hits 100%. Then make exit gates regress at 100% rate if they aren't held. Full team escapes/post game hook rescues thus need to coordinate more instead of just 99%ing them.
- Make Overcharge (or a mini version of it) basekit on kicked gens and gens that had a failed skill check due to a survivor leaving the gen in the middle of it. That way survivors need to do more to stop gen regression than quick taps while running around and running a survivor off a gen doesn't always mean immediate progress on it again by the flashlighter tailing you.
- Make the new Hemmorage effect base kit and then make Hemmorage into "All healing progress is lost if interrupted" so healing requires more commitment/safety and Hemmorage is scary.
-Make it so if a survivor cancels a hook rescuing animation, they have to wait for the rescue bar to decrease back to 0% before they let go. They can still fake the start to mind game hook campers, but following through is a risk of being grabbed that means they need to be considered with coordinating distractions to safely do it.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Thoughts:
-Oh hey, we are at the step where BHVR adds a perk to solve X instead of actually fixing it, when do we get to the horrible knock-on effects part of the patch cycle?
-Killer looks mediocre like Sadako.
-Going to laugh when the perk rework happens but you still see Dead Hard/Borrowed Time/DS/Unbreakable/CoH because they still don't compete with second chances.
-They will totally rework BBQ to get rid of the bloodpoint bonus to compensate for giving killers the BP bonus for matchmaking incentive.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

It's still so loving stupid that don't get blood points for private matches. Punishing people for playing with their friends, but only if one friend is playing a killer! If they're all playing survivors, thats fine, full points for everyone because it just ends up with some killers getting clowned on and who cares.

One of the areas I wish Evil Dead hadn't mimicked them, and yet, it has. Such a dumb mechanic.

It's because it becomes harder to detect and get rid of bots grinding up accounts to sell (for smurfs, cheaters, etc). Games with a grind ideally have server side monitoring to check if accounts have suspicious behavior even in private lobbies to get rid of them. This is BHVR, so they obviously don't have that. That leaves them with disabling private lobby bloodpoints, or not giving a poo poo and letting it happen. Since bloodpoints are how they can keep a captive playerbase, they opted for disabling.

They at least did the halfway solution of unlocking everything (that you purchased) in private lobbies so if you only play with friends you can still use everything.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

This drives me nuts too. Really speaks to the fact that a good chunk of the survivor playerbase doesn't touch killer or they'd understand how annoying this poo poo is and not do it. The only time I ever wait at gate is when I'm sure not everyone is out safely and I want to buy time, or get/let someone else get last minute healpoints (because I know the healing archives are annoying as hell). Otherwise I'll gesture "come here" to my other survivors and point at the gate then leave. If they teabag I shake my head furiously at them.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but it seems like people are a lot more willing to leave when another survivor is discouraging them from being a dick and actively encouraging them to leave instead.

It made more sense before MMR (and emblems), when your rank was solely based on bloodpoints gained during the match. It was a courtesy move to let a killer hit you on the way out if you had a good time and they have only 0/1 kills; the extra points could help them avoid a de-pip. Of course, there was still some people who would be toxic and stay teabagging until you chased them out, but I remember it happening a lot less before EGC was added because most survivors couldn't be bothered to stay an infinite amount of time to BM you.

Now, however, it's basically just a memetic remnant that is used for BMing. MMR based on kills means there is basically no reward for the killer. EGC, though a good mechanic for removing the end game stalemates that used to exist, means survivors are given a timer to know when the game will end. They can choose to BM all the way to the end like the people who time out every turn in card games.

The way you stop it is making it so survivors can't delay leaving. Ideally make exit switches degrade to prevent 99%'ing, but make it start degrading after a random amount of time so that survivors can accidentally open the gate if they try to keep it topped off. Then, do not show/tell the survivors anything other than that the EGC timer has started. Change the max time to be unpredictable (maybe +/- 30 seconds), and speed it up per survivor not in chase inside the gate as long as no survivor is hooked/downed. You might still have people math out how much BMing they can still get away with under those changes, but having to do it with an unpredictable timer outside the gate will dissuade most from bothering.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Other than Wesker looking cool to use, I wonder if you will see a lot more survivor DCs when they get Reassurance'd while trying to kill themselves on hook and being stuck in the game for 30 more seconds.

Edit: Also, is it only one use per hook stage or can every survivor take it and cycle on cool down? Good way to prevent camping, but could also get griefy if 2 survivors work with the killer to keep someone trapped on hook.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 10, 2022

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Doomykins posted:

Yeah my point is that just seems overly generous to the killer. A free hit that likely leads to a chase and fast down, and my price is one guy isn't actively dying for 30 seconds? Sign me up, the amount of gens not being done when you have to send two rescuers or one guy to rescue two(without getting intercepted and downed) is worth a lot more than 30 seconds of phase progress. I think the fundamental flaw of Reassurance is that if I want survivors to go to the next phase faster rehooking them after they're rescued gets the job done with virtually no change in how I play unless camping was my ace in the hole, at which point I'm usually admitting I could just be better at killer. I mean hey, at least there are plenty of camping jackoffs in the game!

Definitely need a stealth approach, at least for the last bit to the hook. 6m is enough to hi five them from behind it and hopefully in cover.

Yeah, it's not going to do much for standard meta play other than potentially buy time if a killer patrols back right before struggle phase or death and you can buy some extra time for someone else to rescue as you get chased off. As said above, likely only on one person in a SWF as a precaution if they start running into too many hook campers.

Off meta and in meme build territory:
-The 4-man SWF runs this until they hit a face camper so they can hold them hostage and laugh
-The solo runs this to piss off the salty survivors who kill themselves on hook in order to make them DC instead
-The braindead killers who NOED facecamp and nothing else for the 1K+altruism spiral now needs to run a basement build at a minimum (unless being in shack above basement is close enough to activate, in which case they are hosed) or it will be a 0K as the survivors just keep the stall going until they can full reset rescue with 99% gates.

In other words, it's Lightborn for survivors. Not really meta and not necessary to have, but still a 2/5 niche hard counter perk to specific playstyles that will draw salt from whomever cannot adjust their gameplay after seeing the hard counter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Doomykins posted:

But BHVR would have to be idiots to not start new players at the bottom of MMR........ oh, oh no.

Starting from the middle is fine and has benefits compared to starting from the bottom (quicker to kick smurfs back to the top end), you would just need to make sure that the MMR matchmaking window is not large enough to match top end players/teams with players who just won their first couple games.

Of course, this also needs BHVR to prioritize new player matchmaking quality over top end queue times so that will never happen.