Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Ah good, I've been itching to post about DBD!

I'm normally a survivor player, but I've started doing some killer matches here and there. By far my favorite so far is Billy. His chainsaw lets him dash across the map at high speeds, it can break pallets, and down survivors in one hit. Not only is it a great mobility tool, it breaks pallets fast enough that survivors gain barely any distance on you mid chase! Sure, you basically can only move in a straight line with it, but that doesn't matter too much when a survivor is in point blank range. Plus, with the right build, you can make the chainsaw completely silent!

Now I just gotta suffer through the new matchmaking so that my rank 18 rear end stops getting paired up with rank 1 survivors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

They say that it will eventually, but right now I've probably only done 15 killer games total so its very inconsistent for me. Feels like its usually one 15 or higher, a couple 9-7s, and a red rank in each game. Which I tend to lose pretty handily, one kill at most.

It sucks but hopefully if I play enough I'll get into matches I can actually win?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

To an extent. You do need to you know, get emblems to rank up. And the requirements do get harder the higher rank you go. But they're still lenient enough that at the end of the day, high rank doesn't automatically mean good.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

From what I've seen, he's not the greatest killer. I mean, he's a mobility killer which means he's gonna be average to above-average at the bare minimum, but man, his power does not interact with hitboxes well. And as it turns out, a lot of DBD hitboxes suck horribly. You'll see him ramming into doorways when there's nothing there because the floor hitbox is slightly too high!

He looks really fun to play though, and he'd be awesome if hitboxes were cleaned up a little bit or if his power gets tweaked to just be less clunky.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

You got it. There are only so many pallets per map, so getting survivors to throw one is generally a win for you.

Like people said, they will stun you if a survivor drops one on you, so be wary of picking up people sitting under an upright pallet.

Also worth noting, some killers can use their special ability to Instabreak dropped pallets; leatherface, hillbilly, and oni come to mind.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I think arguably Oni is better (or at least more meta) because mobility killers tend to have a much, much easier time.

But in the end what really matters is what you like, and whether "giant man with huge club" or "cowboy with a harpoon gun" appeals more to you.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Reporting someone for wallhacks in this game is so laughable because for gently caress's sake, basically half the perks in the game are some variety of wallhack.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The other option would be to do it while someone's at the gate, survivors are willing to put up with a lot of your bullshit while they're waiting for you to get a last hit in.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

If people are doing unsafe hooks without borrowed time that's their own drat fault.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Honestly if you listen to any good killer player's advice on the matter, you need to tunnel to a certain extent; you will not win games against good survivors if you hook all of them once, then hook all of them a second time before going in for the kill. Period. It's in your best interest to get a player out of the game ASAP.

The important part is to make sure you aren't giving up other opportunities to only go after one guy, that's how you lose the game and get called a tunneller.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, the biggest problem with her is that she's a high skill floor character. Her power has enough drawbacks where it'll hinder most people, but not enough drawbacks to actually matter at the highest levels of play.

She's definitely an S tier killer, but only if the person playing her is also S tier.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Otz always struck me as a big sweetheart and I'm glad to see that it seems to still be the case

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

To me the most interesting thing about this new killer is that it looks like his knives don't grant survivors the usual speed boost for losing a health state, meaning you can effectively do the plague trick of "corner them, vomit until they're injured, slap 'em for the down".

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

But if it is Mr. X or Nemesis, there are interesting things they could do. Like one of the trademarks of Mr. X and Nemesis is that they appear from surprising directions when you least expect them. Maybe some kind of teleporting power (teleports the killer 20 meters away and out of line of sight from a random survivor or something), or the ability to go undetectable might be neat.

I know this wouldn't work for a number of reasons, but I'd absolutely love if they had the ability to teleport to and crash through a destroyable wall/door as a survivor walks by.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Blasmeister posted:

The ‘hook the obsession 4x in one game’ tome challenge is gonna confuse a lot of people. It doesn’t even use any perks from killers featured in the tome. Did they intend for you to queue into For the People users? Baffling.

Run Nemesis I guess. It is pretty weird to have a challenge that requires one of a few specific perks, but one of them is decisive strike. Though I guess that's significantly less of a meta perk with the nerf.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Eh, I agree that the DBD scrubs are particularly bad, but scrubs are everywhere. Lots of games have people telling you you're a jackass for using a game's systems as intended.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Pinhead seems good to me, he's basically just Deathslinger Nurse. Which, frankly, does mean he's a worse killer than nurse. But his main power seems versatile and useful, and everything with the Lament Configuration is a really nice cherry on top.

Oh, and he has an iridescent that makes his chain rocket actually injure people, which honestly sounds incredibly strong.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Watching the game he did as a survivor, it looks like every survivor has a health bar independent of health states, and both getting injured and going down lowers it. If it ever completely hits 0, the survivor's out of the match.

But yeah, we never saw the Feast option so who knows what that does. Maybe it's a channel that slowly drains the survivor's health? :shrug:

At any rate...yeah the game looks super survivor favored. The killer gets some concessions, but I'm not convinced they'll ever have the advantage.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The camera look up after a hit in a game that's already seemingly survivor favored, combined no scratch mark equiv is a really strange decision. Is the killer at least invuln during his recovery? Seems like it's extremely easy to punish the monster for hitting people if you can just all converge on them during that time and throw molotvs at them or whatever. If the monster was really beefy I could understand but just like a second of focus fire and you lose that health state.

Yeah, every time the killer gets a hit and roars, all players are disabled for... 6 or 7 seconds? It seems way longer than the killer's recovery period, thankfully.

Also for what it's worth, the players don't have the weapons from the beginning, they effectively have to complete a gen before then can be armed.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Danknificent posted:

Well, the really next level part is that it would be a potential goldmine. Imagine you had a mappable voice wheel with 8 slots and you could *buy* the lines you wanted for the beloved characters that you cared about.

Everyone would end up with 8 sick one liners instead of useful communications, but you'd still have the option. People would buy the poo poo out of that. These guys are just leaving money on the table.

Without a doubt these always end with everyone figuring out the best way to call your teammates trash. "You Rock!/Cancel That!" "What a save what a save what a save!"

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Wow, boon totems sound way worse than what I was thinking!

Well hey, sure is nice of BHVR to nuke their game into the ground right as VHS is getting started. How thoughtful of them. :v:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

IIRC Trapper dropping a trap looks incredibly close to the pickup animation.

Though at that point you've got to play trapper, so pick your poison I guess

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Just from watching the devs play it seemed to work out alright. Yeah, you have weapons to attack monsters, but they can run out of ammo and it looks like you auto-lose it when you get a hit. Plus, whenever a survivor gets hit, it places a debuff on every survivor to stop them from attacking for about 7 seconds. And on top of that, every monster has a unique defensive ability to avoid damage: the Werewolf can roar to inflict the debuff that stops attacks, Wart can armor up to negate a hit, and the Dollmaster can attack from afar using dolls.

Also, imo, it kinda handily sidesteps the constant ticking clock killers are on in DBD. DBD encourages as little interaction as possible for the survivors, to the point where ideally you never engage the killer, just fix 5 gens and leave. In VHS, you're forced to interact with the killer to actually win, giving him a lot of room for last second plays and comebacks.

I guess we'll see how it works out, especially when people start getting into really high skill gameplay. There's surely gonna be some imbalanced stuff.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 24, 2021

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Oh, the other thing is in the map design, because I really don't see anything that could be like, a loop. There's a vault spot every so often, but it really seems like if you are seen by the monster and have no weapon, you're taking a hit.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Level 99 Games is one of my favorite board game designers so I got hopes that they'll make something pretty good.

This is also their first licensed game that isn't just new characters for their existing games, so uh, I guess we'll see. :v:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, from what I saw of the beta each teen gets 2 discounts that only apply to perks of their archetype. So unless they choose not to take advantage of that, you can reasonably assume that a Faith is gonna be good at healing her teammates, a Brett is gonna be hard to kill, a Jess is gonna be sneaking all over the place, etc.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Really what they should have done is announced a survivor as their first straight survivor

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

It...probably isn't a hacker? Admittedly that's a pretty high damage number, but I've seen survivors get up to like 50k pretty naturally.

And to be completely frank, Hunters are kinda nuts right now, plus they've got an Annie on the team, who literally doubles ranged damage when her active is up. So honestly it's probably a legitimate number.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

It's hard to say, because there really are a lot of subtleties to demon gameplay. But off the top of my head:
  • Early game more than anything you're looking to press your advantage: the survivors don't have a lot of Pink F and likely are carrying around grey weapons with not a lot of ammo. The game never tells you this, but survivors always spawn away from the objectives and your spawn; you can pretty easily triangulate where they started based off that and make a beeline for them immediately. Even if you don't kill anyone, early pressure makes it hard for them to loot and gets you a ton of threat levels.
  • More broadly, you want to be always be picking up orbs and spending your energy so you never waste it. Combined with the above, you ideally wanna find out where survivors are going and trapping ahead of them to harass. Also, trap chests whenever possible, they're worth much more exp.
  • I mentioned before that Hunters are cracked, that luckily goes both ways if you manage to possess one. If you can distract the enemy team and possess their best hunter, you can often 1 or 2-shot the entire team and then run the hunter in the opposite direction until the possession timer runs out.
  • I can't claim to be too much of a warlord player, but I've heard their best build primarily relies on spamming their basics and the boss; warlord elites are a bit weak at the moment. There's a couple of early skills in the skill tree that upgrade the basic's puke to basically stunlock survivors while they're being hit with it; once you have that, you can usually drop a portal or two, possess a basic, start spraying, and they'll be in a pretty bad spot.
  • Lastly, unfortunately, levels do make a huge difference. If you're a level 4 or 5 warlord going up against a full team of level 25 survivors, you're gonna be fighting an uphill battle.

There's uh, probably more. I've played some demon, but I'm sure there's a lot of stuff I'm missing.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

DeathChicken posted:

Fun if very early stage janky. Also people haven't quite worked out a meta yet to exploit the game to death, which is nice

There's a bit of a meta, in that 80% of demons are Necromancer and survivor teams almost always include a Cheryl/AoD Ash.

I wouldn't say those options are overpowered though, just popular. Also, the devs already patched out the one really big exploit (animation cancelling).

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

So far I think the balance feels really good. It's hard to say, because it hasn't been out very long so there's a lot of variance in games, but I've absolutely seen a good demon clown on my pretty coordinated 4-man. Also a bit hard to say because there's a massive difference between level 1 survivors/demons, and level 25/45 survivors/demons.

Hunters are pretty overpowered, but that goes both ways; I've won more than one game possessing the hunter and 1 or 2-shotting the entire team.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, I find that early on it's valuable to split up a little bit, but like in teams of 2 and within 200m of each other. You do not want to be caught alone with the demon at low levels, or you will die.

The exception being Pablo of course, Pablo can basically go wherever he wants because the demon's not going to find him outside of random chance.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah some of those changes are bummer but, you know, they did overall buff killers across the board, so I'm curious to see where it goes.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

So I don't know about you guys but I've been having a pretty fun time with the VHS open beta! My initial impressions are that it's balanced pretty well; a smart monster is pretty difficult to fight in a 1v1 and you pretty much need some cooperation to win as the survivors. All the monsters seem to require pretty different strategies to take down, too.

The biggest downside right now is that survivor queue times are pretty long; it's like 8 minutes on average for a match. I haven't played monster but I bet it's near instant.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

TGLT posted:

I assume they're also planning to add in new killers later and it would suck if every killer had to have a power slot dedicated to detection to accommodate finding people on giant maps like this. It also seems much too large to just walk to every workbench that lights up. If I didn't already have a doll there then it felt like the best play was just to write it off and hopefully deal with them later. The Facility felt like the largest a map should be. Probably helped that the lines of sight on it seemed better than in the Hotel. I haven't got the High School yet but it looks like you could fit all of it in just the first floor of the Hotel.

I don't...necessarily think this is a bad thing? Like, I'm pretty sure their plan already is to have each killer with a movement power, a defensive power, and a detection power. And with Dollmaster they're already showing how they can break those rules and still get a killer that covers all those aspects. It's less "every killer has to have a detection power or they're trash" and more "this is how this killer detects teens".

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Trickortreat posted:

I really wanted to enjoy playing V/H/S as a full SWF team, but those load times mean we don't get to play as much as DBD. Combine that with the steep learning curve and it's pretty much not looking good. I do love the amount of customization you can get for your survivor. Is pinging supposed to make you stop running? Or is that a weird bug?

Which ping type is failing? There's both a "ping what I'm looking at" bound to mouse 3 and a "ping what I'm currently doing" bound to c. Or are they both causing this bug?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

:allears:

I've honestly been thoroughly enjoying VHS, both as monster and teen. It's still got some kinks to work out but I think it's a great start so far.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Dawgstar posted:

Are there any good videos out there about how to get better at this game? I really, really want to like it but it doesn't like me back.

I've found a few of them here and there. TricksterShadow has a pretty decent new monster guide (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utpiJHnkfrs), and Granny has a more all purpose guide (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0WYG_-KPJE).

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Mix. posted:

supposedly the patch that just dropped for VHS fixed some of the matchmaking issues and it should be better now.

supposedly.

:v:

It probably still won't be great until they figure out a way to attract more killer players.

But hey, they added a bounty system for the role that needs filling, so I'll enjoy the extra killer exp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

From what I understand Deathwire is gonna be the new VHS killer.

Pretty sure Radd Rex was completely deconfirmed though.