Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Umbreon posted:

I really like this game a lot, but every time I get hit by a killer who is swinging in the complete opposite direction of me and at least a full foot away, I lose more and more hope of being able to stick with it. :negative:

Yeeeah lag can lead to some poo poo that feels really unfair. This game more than anything is the epitome of 'journey, not the destination' for me. There's so many variables, I just try to have as much fun as I can each game, survivor wise.

Also holy poo poo a practice mode for killer would be really nice. Getting stomped at lvl 1 feels bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

My go to streamer, Fungoose, who would always answer chat questions apparently stopped playing a few months ago. One of those 'so good the game stopped being fun' kinda things maybe? Still, his YouTube channel is very informative still

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

When you come back after a while, it's really nice how the rank 20 matches make you feel like your good at stuff. I had a nice chase with a Pig with a red Amanda's letter and got wrecked, but she gave me the hatch. I want to think it was because of the fun chase :shobon:

E:Not that AL had anything to do with the chase, but clearly they had been higher level to get that item.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 9, 2021

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

So, I'm really confused. Reddit and twitter have been melting down over the mmr, but since its been on I've been getting games with 19-9 ranks, no red ranks and every game has been incredibly fair. Why is my experience so different?

E: I just came back after an absence and I'm recently rank 18.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Shammypants posted:

Luck? Small sample size?

Yeah no clue. I've been playing as much as I can while MMR is on and I haven't had any kind of similar experience. Like I would say the new matchmaking is a success if I didn't see everyone else having a horrible time

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Ok I really appreciate the 'Dead...by daylight' ala every resident evil start screen

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Kill with bots is a wonderful start to a practice mode. I really have no idea why they couldn't let you choose your killer for that, just to get a feel for a killers base power at least.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

rydiafan posted:

Sprint Burst is up there with Self Care in the "newbies gently caress over everyone else on their team by using it wrong" category.

When I'm solo q starting back the only thing I can depend on to not get hooked is self care, cause it sure as hell isn't my looping yet, but it'll get there.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I think survivors shouldn't win as much as killers because horror movies. I think having no communication whatsoever sets the best mood. I really wish people didn't play to win in this game because winning is such a nebulous concept in it. Playing for the ride is a much more fun experience. What are ranks and pips?

I also really really don't like how the community runs the word toxic into the ground and for the most part uses it for 'thing that made it so we didn't stomp the competition.'

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I love playing against hag because she can scare me.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

On that note, I wonder how long until they feel comfortable turning on mmr permanently. The last test seemed alright after your basic 'mmr sucks at first' got out of the way.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 23, 2021

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Funny thing is they're pissing off the cosmetics people with the linked sets on original characters and fixing cosmetic glitches that helped mix and match.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Comfortador posted:

Haha being new to the game, but a veteran of F13 I know this is true and I apologize for my role in it. Not from a useless perspective but from a not used to looping so getting caught early perspective, and the 1 outta 50 times a skill check takes me by surprise.

I really miss F13. Fear was a main thing which is what you want from a horror game, and you never cared if you died because #1 its a jason movie, of course you're probably gonna die, and #2 you always got to see an awesome kill animation.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Umbreon posted:

Had a game where I ran the killer for most of the match, allowing my team to get 4 gens done in total. He finally caught me at the end, and as I was awaiting the inevitable facecamp while my team leaves without me/dies, something magical happened instead:

https://streamable.com/iotyt7

You better believe every single one of them got props from me.

They bodyblocked?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

There really wasn't a survivor rulebook that was expected for Jason to follow in F13 was there? I dont remember.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Dawgstar posted:

Has Nea had a decent head at all yet?

I like the shortcut that I think is in a set with a sweater and a skirt.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Streaming should die, LP's need a revival

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I really like Ohm. He has such much fun with it

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

If anything the whole thing makes me curious as gently caress about internal testing conditions.

Vanguard Warden posted:

Jesus, I haven't played this game very actively in awhile and coming back recently to unlock all the new shrine perks it seems like the DCs have become egregiously awful. My last killer game I had 3 people in a row DC on their first down before I could pick them up, and it was on my first game of Raccoon PD where I spent most of it wandering around lost bumping into dead-ends. When did things become so much more toxic?

With the RE update gently caress up they took away the DC penalty. I haven't played since and I'm not wasting my time until the dc penalty is back, and that's as a soloq survivor main. You (universal you of course) don't get to DC when there's something you don't like about the matchup and not pay for it, that's not how poo poo works.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 14, 2021

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Shammypants posted:

Sometimes people complain stupidly about DCs though. If someone is running an oppressive build, the gens aren't getting done and someone is already dead then gently caress it, leave. What is the point of staying in a game for the random chance the killer has some kind of weird brain moment and screws up royally? At that point it's 100% entertainment for the killer and no one is obligated to make the game fun for the killer as survivor.

But why should a killer have to deal with DCs because the survivors lost? If you see losing as not having fun, this isn't the right game, but the right community for that mindset.

E: I mention it way too drat much, but I miss F13 where people saw survivors as fun, even if you died.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 14, 2021

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Shammypants posted:

this is a game where it's very clear that a loss is a loss. Sometimes a DC is lame and sometimes it's just time saving common sense.

For the first thing, I would say it's a combo of the awful pip system and the community. The second I vehemently disagree.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The killer winning should not equal 'gently caress this poo poo I'm out' they're a person and an integral part of the game, they should enjoy it too every now and then

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

It's not me, it's ALL OF YOU

When I was playing during the re event I had an early disconnect from my first three drat games, wasting a gently caress ton of time, anecdotal evidence being anecdotal evidence

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Shammypants posted:

Yea anecdotal and silly

Silly like saying if it looks like the killer is going to definitely win you should dc for "time saving common sense"?

Yeah gently caress that player

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Nessus posted:

Maybe the problem is the people at red rank. Are you somehow protected from losing rank if you DC? That's the lack of penalty, right?

It's happening at ranks that aren't red too

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

DeathChicken posted:

Unrelated to this discussion but you also lose rank for games where the killer never finds you, you churn out gens and walk out the door unharmed, which is the silliest poo poo

Tangentially, this is an example of where I really don't get 'winning' or 'losing' in DbD. Did you get a good chase in? Did you do everything you could? There ya go good game.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

TGLT posted:

DBD as a purely casual fun time slasher sim got left behind years ago.

I blame swf

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

According to Otz' chat, the DC penalty is back.

Hell yeah, I can start playing again

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Oh well...

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Yardbomb posted:

lol they changed the way hits at pallets work now too, where it prioritizes the survivor/pallet drop over hits, so now you can even get a hit sound and it won't actually hit them oftentimes.

Goddamn

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Archenteron posted:

Browsing the patch notes and I found two interesting bits tucked away near the end.

:sickos:

:hmmyes:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Dawgstar posted:

The confirmation(?) of Pinhead really hammers home how little like 95% of DBD streamers and possibly players know about horror films. (Which admittedly is fine, who cares. It's just most of them are "Who?")

Or literal children, which explains survivors at this point.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Mix. posted:

Ya'll do realize Candyman AND Hellraiser are getting reboots right

The reason those names keep coming up is because it'd coincide with the new movies

New Candyman is written by Jordan Peele and looks good as gently caress.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

1. It is hellaciously satisfying to play as Leatherface and chainsaw through someone being unhooked & their rescuer in one swipe
2. I wish this had a game mode to this more akin to Friday the 13th: the Game. A mode more about scaring people/goofing around than the current e-sporty kind of asymmetrical game going on. I just want to scare my friends/be scared by my friends as famous monsters and killers

God yes this would be wonderful. Judging by the reddit and twitter though a large portion of the fan base cannot move away from the "but I should win no matter what, nerf the killer you JUST released" mindset.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Pinwiz11 posted:

I cannot wait for Halloween Kills.

:hmmyes:

My fiance hadn't seen a Halloween film since Rob Zombies and I begged him to watch the last one with me. He loved it and I'm so looking forward to Kills

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Danknificent posted:

The nature of the game fuels that toxicity. Everything feels personal in this game. You play killer and the survivors come off as rude. You play survivor, and the killer comes off as being as rear end in a top hat for just doing his job and doing the exact same things you did when you were killer. I think the solution, if there is such a thing, would be to make the game less geared toward competitive tryhard play and lean more into playfulness and whimsy, but I don't know. People are awful, but there are details and dynamics in this specific game that dials up our perception of their awfulness to 11, often wrongfully.

"Ugh, look at this tryhard killer with devour and ruin,"
- A survivor with dead hard and BT

"Ugh, look at these toxic rushing survivors,"
- A killer with CI and ruin

Most behaviors that cause frustration are just people playing the game as it's intended, even if that intent might not be optimal.

In my observation, the most acutely frustrating things are the ones that feel unearned. NOED stands out as one of these.

Yeah, on Friday the 13th no one would have ever called it competitive, it was the horror movie aspect of it. Even if you died early you got a Jason movie out of the rest of the match at least.

That's not to see there wasn't a period where campers could clown on Jason, but it was worlds different from DbD levels. I got to a place where, as a survivor main, I had to stop reading the reddit because 'toxic' as a word was doing a gently caress ton of lifting in every thread. The wind blew north east today? *blank* is toxic af.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Medullah posted:

https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1427276944018653194?s=19

Looks like they're losing the Stranger Things license, you'll keep Steve, Nancy and Demogorgon, but the Hawkins stage is going away.

Well poo poo, that felt like it was a short rear end license. I was hoping the licenses they worked out weren't timed, but it looks like that's def not the case.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Reddit isn't full of "pinhead is too op!!!" posts so something is horribly wrong

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I'm just bad at the video game. I'm sure he's fine.

Oh no, thats not what I meant. I just meant reddit survivors really don't like it when a killer doesn't flat out suck, that's all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Mega Comrade posted:

To be honest I play the game. Leave for months, then come back, repeat. Stops me totally hating on the game.

Post/av combo