Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I installed Dead by Daylight.

Have I made a huge mistake? What should I know before trying to play it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I did the tutorials.

They don't teach a lot, do they?

Where should I go next to learn what the gently caress?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sales have started. All the characters are -50% in the in-game store (Silent Hill characters -20%), but not in the Steam DLC store. BUT! All the DLC, and the base game, are at least 50% off in the Humble Store, and they give Steam keys.

I'm thinking of getting Leatherface for the Grilling and Chili perk, and Pyramidhead because... well, Pyramidhead. But just Pyramidhead is only 400 in-game things (4€) vs. 5,59€ for the Silent Hill pack.

Is Cheryl worth 1,59€?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

As an aside is there any way to turn that off? These are the saltiest, most toxic motherfuckers I've seen in a game and I could do without racist and homophobic abuse after ~most games.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Would there be any interest in putting together Kill Your Friends games among goons? It might be nice to have a chance for some chiller games, to play some non-meta killers etc.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Babe Magnet posted:

this game looks dope, how well would you guys say it's help up over the years? Once a sale happens again I'll probably end up getting it, but I'm only really interested in playing Guy Who's Legally Not Ghostface, but is Instead Wearing the Same Mask Ghostface Does in "Scream".

A sale is happening right now. The basic game is -60% on Humble Store (you get a Steam key), and the DLC is ~50% off there as well.

There's also a sale on PS4 going right now, I guess.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I bought Leatherface. I might buy Clown, seeing as he's apparently the next killer getting buffed and I love the idea of a killer clown.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh boy I have basically no idea what I'm supposed to do as a killer, but I guess chainsawing people and hanging them from dirty meat hooks is still fun.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I did not previously realize that add-ons etc are consumable.

E: fun moment in my last game, I managed to chainsaw run two survivors down RIGHT at the exit line with one sweep. Of course I could only carry one off to the hooks while the other crawled over the finish line, but that was still a pretty cool horror movie moment.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 26, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fun times. Co-oping with a friend, and we ran into a pair of red rank survivors, who rage quit the game the first time one of them got hooked.

That game didn't go so well.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Peekaboo!

https://i.imgur.com/6zNMRU2.mp4

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Boba Pearl posted:

Is pop goes the weasel teachable because idk why you'd run anything but bbq and weasel

Because you don't have Clown yet because you're waiting for the Steam sale so you can use the money from your Steam wallet :cry:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I can't do those "just loving murder a survivor when they're in sacrificable state" executions without special items, right?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Had a Leatherface game where I killed three survivors fairly easily, then found and slammed the hatch shut. Found the final girl, chainsawed her to the ground and started taking her to the hook. But she struggled free! So I figured this lady's got spunk, I'll let her get away because why not?

I stood by "chasing" her as she opened the exit, then chainsaw chased her to the exit for the movie finish to set up the sequel. And after the game the scrub I'd murdered at the beginning of the game was poo poo talking me in chat for missing an easy kill on the last survivor, except with a lot more hate speech thrown in.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

How on earth does Leatherface's "extend chainsaw run" mechanic work?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Huh I thought I had to hold down the chainsaw button or he'd stop the run halfway through. I wish there was a practise mode so I could just play around with the controls.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I have no idea what's going on with sales. The in-game sale and the Humble Store sale have been going for days now, and Steam's sale was supposed to start yesterday. But it got Twitter postponed to the 29th.

So I just bought the Silent Hill pack from Humble Store.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Iamgoofball posted:

I'm probably late, but yes. Her perk Soul Guard is a free BT every time you get picked up from dying.

Good to hear, I bought the Silent Hill pack.

Now how do I play Pyramid Head?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

And also does the "level 20+" thing mean your alienware account needs to be level 20? Because that's a lot!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

:siren: The Steam sale is now live, and there's a free play weekend going on right now in case you wanted to try murder :siren:

Also I bought the Cursed Legacy pack.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hell yes, Perfect Killing with Leatherface yesterday :coal:

GGs exchanged with three survivors after the game, but one spent several minutes bitching at me because I had the nerve to circle back after he was freed from a hook to chainsaw him down and hook him again (this time in the basement).

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Boba Pearl posted:

I have never kicked a gen before. Is it useful?

Yes. It breaks the generator down and sets it to regressing, which actively hinders survivors.

E: to elaborate a bit, since the survivors' objective is to repair generators, it is very useful to go and kick them, take away some of their progress, and keep draining that progress away until they come back to repair it again. It puts a lot of pressure on survivors.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 1, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sure, I'm not saying go out of your way to kick a generator at all costs, but those .25 charges do add up especially if they're ticking away on several generators at once.

E: but yes for the killer DBD is a resource management game, where the resource is time, so every situation does probably need to be evaluated at the time.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 1, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

dialhforhero posted:

Since the sale is still going, is there a premium killer that is worth buying?

Right now in my 5 hours of play time I have done The Trapper and The Hillbilly. I think the Hillbilly is better.

Just wondering.

I really like Leatherface. He has a similar style to Hillbilly but his chainsaw works quite differently and is IMO more comfortable to use. As others have mentioned, BBQ & Chili is also an extremely good perk to have. Pyramid Head is a lot of fun too.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's also worth noting that Clown (who is currently notable mostly for having the Pop Goes the Weasel perk which is real good) is going to get reworked and buffed in the near future, so if you're at all interested in that wheezy fella, now might be a good time to buy him.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Well this is interesting. For the past few days I get booted out of the game after a few minutes with a message saying EAC has detected one of my files has been altered (some .PAK file), and I should scan my local files in Steam to fix them.

I do, nothing is reported as a problem, and still I keep getting booted.

Anyone encountered anything like this?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Berzerker posted:

I did have something like that happen before and I read a solution somewhere online that if you delete some files (like perk icons or something easy to locate) and then "verify game files" in steam it will sort itself out.

Thanks, this seems to have done the trick! I deleted some random .pak, checked the game and two files failed to verify. Prior to deletion everything supposedly verified.

And now I'm not getting booted anymore!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

PMush Perfect posted:

Short version: Leatherface's DLC, then whatever looks cool.

Leatherface is still my favourite killer in the game, so I second this.

He also has a very very useful perk for new (and experienced) players, Barbeque & Chili, which massively boosts your XP gains.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I haven't had time to play much recently, but I noticed I have the deluxe edition on PS5, so I might as well check that out. Clown was apparently buffed recently finally, did that change things? I'm trying to decide between buying him and Oni.

E: already got Leatherface for BBQ & Chili.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Turns out that while I was taking a break from the game, people got loving SAVAGE. Both my killer games tonight weren't even close and the survivors worked together so well that I'm pretty sure they were all in a group.

Did ranks get reset recently or something, because I would not expect this kind of savagery from rank 19 survivors!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I had a group of insanely aggro survivors the other night. One guy was constantly hovering around me with a flashlight and every time I hooked someone, they were immediately unhooking them before I'd even left. They knew the animation timings, they knew that a PS5 player wasn't going to have amazingly accurate aim.

They were also a lot better at the game than I am, so they got all five generators fairly easily. The biggest rear end in a top hat of them decided to go on a teabagging spree by the exit, but he didn't appreciate just how quickly Oni can move or maybe he was just a bit further away from the exit than he thought, so I smashed him into a pulp inches from the exit. Then I hooked him, and made drat sure to watch him until he died.

You want to be a jerk, let's be jerks!

(three of them, clearly in a group together, were rank 5 and 6, with one poor confused survivor being rank 18 and I was rank 20. I can't help but feel that this isn't a great system :v:)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Cease to Hope posted:

this is a popular way to smurf as a SWF group btw

Oh well that explains it.

But man what a crappy matchmaker, you'd think they'd just shove the rank 18 smurf into rank 5 matchmaking instead of the other way around.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

People on Reddit are saying the sweaty 3+1 SFW groups are mostly a PC problem and playing on consoles is generally a chiller experience. Now, seeing as I am playing on a PS5 these days, would toggling cross-platform matchmaking off just doom me to playing with 3 people forever, or might it be a good idea?

Or is it even an option that exists outside my vague memories?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

TGLT posted:

Honestly there aren't as many true sweat squads as people think.

I guess I'm just having bad luck because I'm running into them almost all the time.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh I definitely suck. I haven't played in six months, and I didn't play a lot back then either. Which is kinda why it'd be nice to play against teams who aren't doing 720 yolo no-scope headshot ollies on me all the time.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hmm, three players with a | FRONTLINES | tag in front of their names, I'm sure that bodes well!

Someone disconnected during the load so we'll never get to find out, but considering three of them were loaded up with purple loot in the post match screen, I'm sure it would've been an experience for my level 1 Trapper.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I don't hate playing Leatherface because he is one of my favourite killers, but it'd be nice to get him to level 30 so I could start fishing for Barbeque and Chili on other killers and play them as well.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Cease to Hope posted:

You can earn BP on any killer (or even survivors!) and spend it on Leatherface. I realize you probably don't want to play unleveled characters, but it's an option.

Sure but I can earn it a lot faster on Leatherface due to BBQ & Chili :v:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It runs great on a PS5 and due to crossplay the community is healthy. You can’t bring anything over from the PC version so it’s rebuy time! And the updates happen at the same time on all versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Why didn't anyone tell me the Doctor is insanely fun?!