Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I finally decided to make the plunge with DbD after hemming and hawing and looking over the Wiki a lot. I've started with the base game though I know ex: Leatherface is good for BBQ and Chili so I can get used to it a bit before investing further.

The last time I posted about DbD, I noted that I was severely hard of hearing and usually don't play with sound on in my games. I'm aware that other folks might turn up the sound but I just don't think that's going to work for me. I think Wraith is cool and it looks like some of his perks involve ways to visually hone in on people. Plus he has a Field of View increase perk (though I know Lightborn from Hillbilly is also good on him).

So as a thought exercise, if you were playing a killer and only had to use your eyes, what killers and perks would you use? Tracking people, seeing auras, etc.

E: I guess also stuff that keeps Survivors unaware of me to level the playing field a bit more as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Doctor also seems cool to me, so I'll snag that too and see how it goes. Thanks for the feedback and I'll check back as I unlock stuff.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Well, played first match as the Doctor and hooked two Survivors, would have gotten a third but they got saved by their friend with a flashlight delaying me just long enough to let them wriggle out of my grasp. I poured all the bonus bloodpoints into Doctor so ended up running Monitor and Abuse (rare), Overcharge (rare), Spies from the Shadows (rare), and Sloppy Butcher (rare).

Among the others I have (including Whispers at Very Rare lmao), I have Bitter Murmur (rare), Iron Grasp (rare), and Deerstalker (rare). I think one of those might be better than Spies from the Shadows.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Evil Kit posted:

Go ahead and just list things as levels lol, it'll save you some typing and make it easier to parse. I'd say drop Spies for Whispers, with the cavet depending on your hearing you may need to actively look to see if the Whispers perk icon is lighting up to notice if a survivor is within range or not. The audio cue for it is pretty subtle but constant when it is active though.

Oh, it has a visual icon as well? That'll make it much more useful for me.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Trying the Survivor end of things, been having luck with Feng Min since without alerts to skill checks, Technician is a lifesaver. Although I did just have a game with Claudette and Ghost Face was chasing me through the cornfield. I accidentally whipped around and ran past him and he just kept going though. I won that chase :getin:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

It's kind of silly that DbD doesn't have a concede option for when you're the last survivor. My survival rate has gone up quite a bit with Spine Chill and holy lmao even with no sound and being aggressive on generators, I'm still running into multiple games where my fellow three survivors either get scragged almost immediately or DC when they get hooked once. I'm not confident enough in my skills to solo survivor when there's still 3+ generators left to go.

Also why is there no ability to practice killer skills in a solo map so you can get used to how they work?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Azran posted:

When you're the last survivor, you either go for the hatch or camp an exit gate if you feel like the killer's bound to find the hatch faster than you. Remember, the hatch spawns as soon as the number of completed gens is higher than the number of survivors still in the game. So if the team managed to at least get three gens done, you can run around when it's just down to 2 survivors and try to spot it in case things go south.

That is an option but I've heard that one of the primary ways to detect a hatch is to listen for a wind sort of sound :negative:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

If you run into a Survivor that's clearly griefing as a Killer, ie pointing out their friends, how do you handle it? Shrug and accept or whack them for being a poor sport?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Ruzihm posted:

imo, if ranked/matchmaking, just tunnel and camp them until they're elminated or the game ends. either way, report them at end of game.

otherwise, lol

I was taken aback enough that I didn't know how to respond, so I just kinda let them go that time. In future yeah, I'll scrag 'em.

I think I'm getting a bit better at killer now, cutting people off rather than just straight following them, and hit a few shots with Huntress. I've also started searching for hatches now while trying to check generators but I've accepted that three-hooking is a good performance for me at this point. Tried Trapper/Nurse/Huntress today to clear dailies but I snagged Leatherface from the Humble Store to start leveling him for BBQ and Chili although I've got the Doctor at a decent level.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

CuddleCryptid posted:

Not sure if this is common knowledge but I found out today that if you are rushing levels for teachables and the bloodweb is mapped out right you can direct the flow of the Entity to black out entire branches of the web in one go, as long as it takes the point you would have to take to access that branch. Saves a hell of a lot of bloodpoints that would have been wasted on trash otherwise.

Can you expand on this? How do you direct the flow?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Got my first 4-hook on Leatherface! :toot: BBQ+Chili let me hone in on the last survivor right after sacrifice hooking the third survivor. Definitely zooming Leatherface up to 35 asap.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Is there a high uptime survivor perk that lets me see other survivor auras? It occurs to me that it'd help for seeing what other survivors are doing so I can decide if they're responding to a killer near them.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

The heck is it with other survivors who think "immediately after unhook, at the hook" is a good place to try and start healing me?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

For the Alienware key giveaway, of the remaining (Oni/Deathslinger/Blight), which might be most useful? Also, anyone know when the giveaway usually resets?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

DeathChicken posted:

Oni and Deathslinger are about equally good in different ways (Oni plays like Billy had a child with Myers. Deathslinger is kind of like Huntress in that if you can aim well you can do insane things). Blight is awful but has amazing perks (good enough I expect them to be nerfed any day now)

Hmm, thanks for the input. I might have tried to pick up Deathslinger since he seems like he has a nice balance between decent perks and gameplay, with Blight as a backup for perks, but since I'm traveling most of the day Saturday I might just try each day starting with Oni.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Got my way to level 35 to unlock BBQ and Chili for everyone then promptly unlocked it on Doctor and went 3-1 and 4-0 :getin:

I think once I unlock Monitor and Abuse on Doctor I'll start leveling Huntress. I seem to be pretty decent with her axe throws and it's nice to have a way to just punk someone out of a chase.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Does the Doctor's Static Field / Shock Therapy pierce terrain? I tried Shock Therapying someone trying to juke me with a chainlink fence but wasn't sure if it actually worked.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Doomykins posted:

Yes it goes through terrain, the range is kinda short without addons. You'll get Pacified and other deviousness/power use BP indicators if it hit and they'll scream unless they have Calm Spirit.

Gotcha.

Second general question: You're the killer, you know where the hatch is, and the third survivor just ate it. Do you slam the hatch immediately and start patrolling gates, or what do you do? Ran into that situation tonight.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

rydiafan posted:

Unless I'm feeling merciful, yes.

Righty. I slammed the hatch shut but was a little too late to Gate 2 so was wondering if I misplayed it.

Just finished up a 4-0 where I harassed poor Bill :( First I scooped him up off an attempted rescue and then at the end tagged him as he was bolting for the third survivor to prevent a sacrifice.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Just had my first game with the Hillbilly since I had a daily ritual to chainsaw 3x Survivor and figured I'd try to get the chainsaw 4 in one match rift as well. Didn't get the latter because holy poo poo this thing is hard to aim, but I went 4-0 and had a hilarious end to the match.

Found the hatch and slammed it, decided to Chainsaw my way to the other gate to get there faster, Claudette was there and I barreled right into her :getin:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Pustula usage ends today, right? I just realized I have a metric ton of them and maybe should use them up. Or will they and Blighted Serum last (but be unusable) until the next event?

Also just finished a 4-0 game by accidentally hooking the last survivor next to the hatch, then got to slam the hatch right in front of the last survivor when the third survivor (also hooked at the time) ate it. Sorry buddy I honestly wasn't trolling you! I just wanted the extra BP!

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I might start funneling points into Nurse soon to 1) work towards getting a t2 Mori unlock for the 60k BP quest I have sitting around and 2) eventually unlocking Nurse's Calling. I've had some rough luck with her Chain Blink before (had a Nurse chase quest). How is it best used? Close range-catchup for when you've already hit a survivor so you can down then eat the stun?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Everyone talks about her so yeah, I want to see if I can figure her out :v: Plus the 60k BP daily tantalizes me even if it will take a while to unlock at least the t2 Mori.

PMush Perfect posted:

"Level Nurse without playing her" is already an option. Pyro wants to try actually getting in some games with her.

Speaking of, Pyro, how's Doc working for you?

Doctor is actually working out really well, thanks! Still playing without sound, but I have the following equipped on him: t3 BBQ and Chili, t3 Monitor and Abuse, t3 Overcharge, and t2 Spies from the Shadows. Provides me quite a bit of information and the Overcharge helps slow down survivors a bunch while playing into the visual information game. Just had a 3-1 game, with Nancy literally on the hatch and the other survivor voluntarily getting eaten - I think maybe they were SWF?

Been leveling Oni a bit too though I suspect I might end up taking much the same perk loadout as I unlock them, already have BBQ and Overcharge.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

DeathChicken posted:

Spies from the Shadows seems to get universally crapped on and I'm not sure why. Almost no one bothers being careful around birds, so using it tends to function like a more accurate Whispers

I just started playing in October but it's my understanding that Spies used to also trigger when the Killer got near a crow, which would have made it pretty garbo.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I had t3 Whispers for a bit now on Doctor but hadn't used it since I felt like not having a visual cue besides the icon lighting up wasn't great for me, but in the past two-three days I've come to realize just how potent it is with Static Blast. Generally once it lights up I take a few more steps, then Static Blast and usually tag at least one survivor. Even with the terror radius reduction from Monitor and Abuse, it's loving great.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

A Hunter equivalent would be pretty terrifying. Have a pounce that immediately locks down the survivor, maybe have it so another survivor can kick the Hunter off to stun it for a couple seconds, but if there are no friendly survivors around the Hunter puts the survivor into the dying state after a little bit even if it's the first hit.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Scary Movie DLC, complete with the Scary Movie take on "humor".

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

For the Killer Rift objective that's "hook the Obsession", do I need to be running an Obsession perk / does a Survivor need to, or will it trigger an Obsession when it's my active objective?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Ahh managed to get Adept Nea and the Nea escape objective on my first match with her (granted I had ranked her up to 30 and was running toolbox+addons with the t3 consumption slow perk).

Let me tell you, repairing generators with no skill check notification and without Technician was nervewracking, but I only got three failures from repairing 2.75. Still gonna rock Technician whenever possible though.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

This is part of why I'm just slowly splitting points between other killers so I can unlock BBQ and Chili and other rando perks such as Monitor and Abuse as high as I can before getting into that particularly situation.

Speaking of, I had a random thought: I unlocked Corrupt Intervention on the Shrine, if and when I get to the appropriate level as Plague, will it still show up in the Bloodweb as a Teachable to unlock? Or will it be substituted with another perk?

E: gently caress me I think I'm about to head into a SWF group with two flashlights. Should have quickswapped to Hillbilly.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

DeathChicken posted:

I just switch out whatever my least needed perk is for Lightborn in the event of two or more flashlights. Whatever I lose in regard to that perk is made up for by guaranteeing I get a stupid hit or three while people try to blind me :v:

Unfortunately I don't have the Teachable version yet but it's definitely part of why more points are going towards Hillbilly than the other, along with getting access to Teachable Tinkerer.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

For the rift quest to escape 2x while using Urban Evasion, do I just have to have it equipped or is there something funny I need to do, like be crouching when the chase ends?

Also, any general tips on Hillbilly chainsaw usage? Looking at how to get his two quests done (hammered out the perk quests just recently).

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Is there any indication that the DbD team takes the reports seriously? Just wondering if I'm screaming into the void when I report abusive post-game chat.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Evil Kit posted:

Yes. However, their backlog is so huge unless it's something super obvious for them to glance at and go 'yeah, that's reportable' you probably won't hear anything from the team for a long while. I did a report on a potential hacker and it took uh... a month, month and a half to hear back?

Aight cool, I can live with that.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Balanced Landing quest - is there a good map for this?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I pat myself on the back for successfully calling a survivor's path and cutting myself off, but that double puke is some next level work.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Speaking as a deafo, absolutely Spine Chill for Survivor. Whenever it lights up it usually saves me...or at least lets me get a head start. Technician also ranked pretty highly for me early on but I'm working on Claudette for the moment and it's going okish without.

Killer is a little rougher, general awareness perks are good but Overcharge is probably what I would go with for now.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

temple posted:

His power doesn't actually kill survivors so you have to end chases fast or get looped forever.

Doesn't Shock Therapy give a second or two of blocking survivors from vaulting/dropping pallets? I mean I'm new and bad so maybe I'm misreading it, but I think (and per the description), it locks survivors out for a second or two, and I swear I've hosed up people who thought they were going to get to vault or drop a pallet on me.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Cease to Hope posted:

the real question is why isn't he a killer

Force Deadite skins on all survivors when you play as him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

To make sure I'm not missing something, the paid unlock portion of the Rift is 1000 and the total Auric Cell rewards from it is 1300?

I understand I have to make an initial buy-in to get that 1000, but as long as I wait until I see how far I'm going to get in a rift season, I can theoretically go infinite with it?