Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Hyperlynx posted:

...but the GPU temp reached 80 degrees C, which sounds kind of hot? I don't know.

That's fine for a GPU stress test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Hyperlynx posted:

So, what, now the mobo's dead? I had something similar happen around the start of last year too. I replaced the PSU, the mobo, mobo died again, so I got an electrician in who said all my power points are fine. Then I replaced the mobo, the CPU, and the case for good measure. I'm pretty sure I posted about it here, but can't find the thread.

What the gently caress. I've only just replaced, well, most of my machine. I didn't replace the graphics card, but it was only 3 years old and I understood Zotac to be a reliable brand. And Corsair have a good reputation.

What the hell is going on? I mean, at this point, wtf am I meant to do but bury the entire thing, conduct an exorcism, put up Shinto seals on the grave to stop the evil spirits escaping, and then build a new computer entirely from scratch? With a UPS for good measure? :psyduck:

I'd try to see if the onboard GPU works but there's a decent chance your PSU died or isn't putting out enough power for the GPU any longer. The Corsair CX line is not the best.

PS It wouldn't be hard to believe a three year old Zotac card died either. I've seen it before.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 14, 2020

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Hyperlynx posted:

But, for future reference, what parts would you consider most reliable?

In recent years I've seen the most GPU failures from EVGA cards but they seem to have a good reputation so it could just be an anecdotal/sample size issue.

Gigabyte was doing unethical things regarding voltage readings on motherboards a few years back. So that hurt their reputation.

As far as PSUs this is from the PC building thread:

"Power supplies have roughly doubled in price due to the current trade war. Cheap PSUs are now pricey and good ones are very pricey. Its recommended to get an 80+ Gold (or better) PSU with a 7 to 10 year warranty. While not an absolute sign of quality, long warranties are indicative of the manufacturers confidence in their product. Currently this includes the Seasonic Focus and Focus Plus Gold lines, Corsair TMx, RMx 2018 and RMx 2019 lines, and EVGA Supernova G1/2/3 lines."

Things can change from year to year so it's good to just stick to highly rated products and ask in those hardware megathreads etc.