Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Masonity posted:

Path of Exile is a GaaS which seems to be doing it right. It's also one of the least offensive freemium games out there. Playing pretty princess dress up is expensive, but all you need to play properly are a few tab upgrades which come to less than a new game anyway.

GaaS only work when the game is built around it. Destiny started as its own game and has taken a while to get it semi right, Anthem was thrust into it deep in dev like Avengers and it hurt both. Fall guys started out as a GaaS and it works way better with a much smaller budget.

That being said, I put this down to play Control and my God I love that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Masonity posted:

Path of Exile is a GaaS which seems to be doing it right. It's also one of the least offensive freemium games out there. Playing pretty princess dress up is expensive, but all you need to play properly are a few tab upgrades which come to less than a new game anyway.

Path of Exile is FREE, none of the Live SERVICE games have ever been even remotely free. You can play Path of Exile without paying out the nose, you sure as gently caress can't play any of these AAA abominations without sacrificing significant potions of your mortal flesh.

So really bad example there mate, this mess should be compared to Anthem (poo poo), Fallout 76 (loving hell) and the Division 1/2 (Painfully average at best).

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Simone Magus posted:

Someone get this poster some help, bah gawd

:negative:

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Diabetic posted:

GaaS only work when the game is built around it. Destiny started as its own game and has taken a while to get it semi right, Anthem was thrust into it deep in dev like Avengers and it hurt both. Fall guys started out as a GaaS and it works way better with a much smaller budget.

That being said, I put this down to play Control and my God I love that game.

I've only done like 1/2-2/3rds of the story mode of this game and already I'm confused by the vendors/crafting and faction mission stuff that are clearly designed around the GaaS mode, and don't even feel motivated to look the stuff up for what it all means. I know it can be ignored until you do GaaS endgame, but it's just annoying how there are two distinct structures/game modes going on at the same time.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Arkage posted:

I've only done like 1/2-2/3rds of the story mode of this game and already I'm confused by the vendors/crafting and faction mission stuff that are clearly designed around the GaaS mode, and don't even feel motivated to look the stuff up for what it all means. I know it can be ignored until you do GaaS endgame, but it's just annoying how there are two distinct structures/game modes going on at the same time.

To be fair, the vendors can also be ignored after the story so it’s even more perplexing.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
awwww yeah, can run in the hubs now!

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Soonmot posted:

awwww yeah, can run in the hubs now!

Says something that you couldn't do this at first. I don't know what that something is, but it probably isn't good.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
All of these updates sound pretty good. Faction terminals for getting all the daily quests in one spot. Two guaranteed (upgraded) exotics from megahives. Companions will actually hold points now. Improved matchmaking (hmmm we'll see). And the tachyon rifts coming tomorrow with another new level of gear, cosmic.

Marvel's Avengers Game: Cosmic Tomorrow

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I thought they just meant we can get Cosmic element gear from it(I guess the stuff that dropped previously was a bug?), not that it’s a new tier.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

So I did the mega hive gauntlet to see what the gameplay changes and enhanced exotics looked like.... and
- It was 8x 5-floor hives in a row instead of a big 14 floor hive. Takes more time but less need to do it in one go. Still kinda lovely
- There were way more 'kill the elites' and 'kill all enemies' instead of all the 'stand on a point' or 'defend the dudes' or 'crush stationary object' which is a good change imo
- Elevators and terminals seemed to take less time? good
- The 2 exotics I got from it were trash, fully focused on proficiency on my Hulk, which was really disappointing. I was planning to get a picture to post it in the thread as I was working through it but in the end I was kinda just like 'this sucks, what the gently caress'
- I never got downed so I couldn't tell you if they fixed the 'gauntlet' thing to force you to change characters after getting downed

I haven't played in a week or two and in general the game just felt easier. I know they reduced ranged damage and I felt it. I was generally just smashing everything. The game is still good in a smash poo poo mindlessly kind of way but it wasn't substantially changed. Maybe Tachyon Rifts will be cool?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Good Citizen posted:

So I did the mega hive gauntlet to see what the gameplay changes and enhanced exotics looked like.... and
- It was 8x 5-floor hives in a row instead of a big 14 floor hive. Takes more time but less need to do it in one go. Still kinda lovely

Mega hives have always been this way, the 14 floor hive are Elite Heroic Hives, which you can always do.

quote:

- There were way more 'kill the elites' and 'kill all enemies' instead of all the 'stand on a point' or 'defend the dudes' or 'crush stationary object' which is a good change imo
- Elevators and terminals seemed to take less time? good

Pretty sure these haven’t changed.

quote:

- The 2 exotics I got from it were trash, fully focused on proficiency on my Hulk, which was really disappointing. I was planning to get a picture to post it in the thread as I was working through it but in the end I was kinda just like 'this sucks, what the gently caress'

Uh which did you get? Hulk’s exotics are pretty good. They might not have the exact stats you want sometime but the perks make up for it.

quote:

- I never got downed so I couldn't tell you if they fixed the 'gauntlet' thing to force you to change characters after getting downed

That’s how they’re supposed to work.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I got stunned in hive eight floor four right at half a dozen poison bots blew up and killed my only pl 150 character, so no exotics for me last week

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

That's why you use the backup save feature. :ssh: Its in the options menu.

After clearing a mega hive floor, travel to ant hill outpost so it autosaves. Then if you screw up just reload your backup save and you should be good to go. You can also use backup saves if after clearing mega hive you get bad exotics and wanna redo floor 8.

EDIT: Marketplace update came with a good Ms Marvel outfit.

Atomic Robo-Kid fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 15, 2020

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I feel like this update hosed Iron Man somehow

I'm struggling to kill even a regular enemy with Unibeam now

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/news/sotg_oct_2020/

Kate Bishop delayed, Hawkeye delayed, PS5/BoneX upgrades delayed.

stuff they're working on:

Avengers Initiative Ping System: A system that will allow players to mark objectives, resources, health crates, and enemies, allowing players to command AI companions to hack/smash doors or prioritize specific enemies.

Reassemble Campaign Replay: An option to reset the Reassemble campaign and replay it with your Super Hero’s level and gear intact.

High Contrast Mode: An accessibility feature that will allow the player to apply solid darken veils behind text to improve readability.

Hero Icon Visibility: An option to adjust the display of identifying icons above a Super Hero's head to be on by default or dynamic.

Mission Reward Clarity: Improved clarity around mission-specific rewards when viewed on the WAR TABLE. This will allow players to more strategically take on missions to meet their current goals and seek out specific gear and resources.

Offscreen & Ranged Enemy Attack Indicators: Better feedback for players to avoid offscreen and ranged enemy attacks.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ketchup vs catsup posted:

fuckin lol

Well, honestly, I was probably gonna be too busy with GoT Legends mode anyways but still: lol

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

That's a wrap. Game's done.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

You know it'd probably be safe to put out some of that Black Panther content you totally had ready to go and then shelved out of respect for Chadwick Boseman's passing now, Crystal Dynamics. If it actually existed.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Just lol that all those features weren't in on release

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Any word on the in-game clock?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Moola posted:

Just lol that all those features weren't in on release

Shirkelton posted:

That's a wrap. Game's done.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I like every time I log in theres a Community Target where we gotta kill a certain enemy together over a week. And it's always at like 0.1% lol

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol that I bought this thinking so much stuff, including a PS5 upgrade so I could play it at 60fps, was right around the corner.

I think this might legit be the worst game purchase I've done in years.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Game seemed promising in advertisements, then the early betas were huge warning signs, glad I ever picked this up. Still pretty funny it is still a full price game 1.5 months in

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

infraboy posted:

Game seemed promising in advertisements, then the early betas were huge warning signs, glad I ever picked this up. Still pretty funny it is still a full price game 1.5 months in

and then the post-beta pre-release hype was all "whoa, this should have been in the beta, it's so good!"

I enjoyed the campaign so I don't feel cheated out of my money, but I don't intend to play more unless it improves.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

and then the post-beta pre-release hype was all "whoa, this should have been in the beta, it's so good!"

I wouldn't say it was all that. :smugdog:

In all seriousness, even here in the thread it was pretty divided between people who thought it was flawed and lacked faith and people who thought it would be a good mindless button basher and maybe they'd have more than they showed. Paid reviews aside, I don't remember anywhere being universally glowing for Avengers after the Beta let people see how awful it was first hand.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I will say one of my biggest disappointments in the game was the waste of potential when it came to bosses. They could have done a lot more but maybe they are saving notable baddies for future content.

We are getting gifts

quote:

As a sign of our appreciation for being with us from the start of this journey—beginning October 22 at 10:00 a.m. PT / 1:00 p.m. ET, players will receive a digital thank-you bundle, which includes:

Credits: 1500 – Enough for a Legendary Skin and Nameplate from the Marketplace

Units: 7000

Upgrade Modules: 250

DNA Keys: 20

A Sarah Garza-Inspired Nameplate (Because seriously, you’re the best.)

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 16, 2020

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

My dumb mistake was playing the beta, not being particularly taken with it, and then buying it anyway.

Also why is Cap so drat weak, he was supposed to be my bae

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

a mysterious cloak posted:

My dumb mistake was playing the beta, not being particularly taken with it, and then buying it anyway.

Also why is Cap so drat weak, he was supposed to be my bae

He’s not exactly super high DPS but he’s a takedown machine and becomes nearly immortal so

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Er yeah cap is by far my fav, you can basically not be killed no matter how many enemies are on you if you just pay attention and dodge, block, and use abilities/take downs for invulnerablilty

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
yeah I think I'm done until new characters come out, if they ever do. Sure am enjoying my exclusive spider-man character though!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012
On the (semi)bright side, the latest patch does seem to have significantly upped the chance for epic and legendary drops, along with a bunch of new perks that can combine to form some extremely goofy poo poo. *Pauses to gaze at gloves that apply Cosmic and Cryo damage simultaneously on every power hit*

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
they do something to matchmaking? I had a full team of players for like 5 games in a row! (what a low loving bar lol)

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I've been lurking this thread but I bought the game the day before it released off of a few strong reviews and it's a dud. Here's hoping they salvage something from it but I regret buying it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

filmcynic posted:

On the (semi)bright side, the latest patch does seem to have significantly upped the chance for epic and legendary drops, along with a bunch of new perks that can combine to form some extremely goofy poo poo. *Pauses to gaze at gloves that apply Cosmic and Cryo damage simultaneously on every power hit*

It beings, the traditional "uhh just shovel them good loot" quick fix that every GAAS goes through when it starts its death spiral, as if it is a fix for content lapses.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Moola posted:

Er yeah cap is by far my fav, you can basically not be killed no matter how many enemies are on you if you just pay attention and dodge, block, and use abilities/take downs for invulnerablilty

I'm probably playing him dumb, then. Plus I'm absolute crap at dodging.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

I'm probably playing him dumb, then. Plus I'm absolute crap at dodging.

Dunno if this will help you, but you can cancel out of any attack with dodging, so if you see a damage indicator coming you can always safely dodge

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

The thank you bundle is active now so if you’re taking a break from the game for now you may just want to login before Nov 5 to pick it up. 250 upgrade modules is a great boost to upgrading end game gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

https://kotaku.com/marvels-avengers-is-fantastic-once-youre-fully-powered-1845443870

wrap it up avengersailures